General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
trulywonderful
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Hitches

I have a 2011 Mini Convertible and am looking to get a hitch installed to carry a max of 2 road bikes. Several questions:

(1) Will this void my warranty both factory and Mini NEXT?
(2) Any input as the difference between MiniDoMore and a MINI FINI hitch? I'm leaning toward Mini FINI because it's cheaper and I have more options when buying the rack.
(3) Any suggestions on where I can get it installed? I'm in Houston, TX but willing to make a short trip.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
PowerHorse
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think of you're main goal here wondy. The minidomore is actually the cheaper of the two and is more of a standard hitch, which in my opinion is what you want when getting a hitch. More standard accessories work as the only thing that matters usually when purchasing an accessory is your tongue capacity limit and ball size.

With the FINI your limited to there towing peices (draw bar, various attachments) which are a little expensive in my opinion. Everything they make can be bought a lot cheaper in standard form from etrailer, though you would be supporting a small business which is always something I try and do myself when it's feasible, and sometimes when it's not as I own one myself.

If money isn't an issue I'd go minifini and there accessories as they look like they make quality stuff. Though I went with the Minidomore. Again a small business but more of a standard hitch design that allows you to add on whatever you'd like from Thule, Yakima, or etrailer.

Two road bikes is a light load so you really don't have to worry about tongue weight which is the most important thing to consider when towing.

I personally went with the minidomore as I like the standard construction of it. Installation is easy and and can be done in an hour by a pro and tops 3 hours by someone with limited mechanical skills. If you work on your own roadbikes than you could do it yourself. If not go with a good local guy to put it on.

Here's a pic of my going away for an adventure week (it was awesome and I'm going to brag a little). I did a enduro in the Berkshires, a Super moto Day at Lauden and a MTB ride in the Catskills. I installed the minidomore myself in about an hour and a half using Brent's directions supplied.

Brent at minidomore makes them to order so allow a good week for it to ship. You can use a standard draw bar I picked up at home depot for cheap, just make sure to get a nice long one.

Feel free to ask questions too, I tow stuff all the time with my Coop. Exept for warenty issues, I'd just consult your warranty handbook that came with your car. Though even if it says it doesn't it's a great excuse for your dealer when something totally unrelated goes wrong.