General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues on my new Mini

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chick draper
Well, I'm tired of talking about it. I'm sure that you're tired of reading about it. I'm compelled, however, to see it through to whatever end we might come to.
No, I am glad to see you post. I've wondered what was happening since your last post.
I called Sewell on Monday morning and Travis is off on vacation. The thought of rehashing this turgid travesty to whatever unlucky Service Adviser who's number came up was more than I could bear. But I realized, mid-thought, that everyone in the Sewell MINI Plano Service Dept. must be acutely aware of the intricate details of my public cuckolding at this point. I didn't bother with the details. I told here it wouldn't start. She said she'd send a tow truck, at her expense, and they would determine the problem and fix it. I said, "And charge me another $1000?"

She half heartedly assured me I needn't worry.

I emailed the dealership once again to apprise them of the status. I contacted a lawyer to determine my options

The tow truck came, collected the car, and off to Plano. She called late in the day to say diagnosis was still taking place, no answer yet, will keep me posted. If they didn't have something figured out the next morning, she would get me a car.

About 10:30 she calls to say it's fixed. It was the battery. "Musta drained it when we had it apart for so long." Uh huh, sure. On Sunday morning, when it wouldn't start, my neighbor came over with a brand new, not yet used, deep cycle, Optima and we jumped the MINI.

What would be your guess as to what happened? Yeah, that's correct, a brand new, super powerful battery was not the correct solution.

It does start now and I've driven it a handful of miles. But ask me if I trust that it is fixed and this is the end of the issues for this car. Go ahead, ask me.
So, you still don't know why it wouldn't start or what fixed it.
Considering the whole story, how could you trust this car again?

I do not. I don't trust the car as far as I can throw it.

Meanwhile, I've learned about the water pump issue. I've learned about Consumer Reports naming the '07 MCS, officially, a piece of crap. I've learned that MINI USA will attempt to avoid paying for any part of the timing chain fiasco, until forced to do so. It appears to me the first year of the switch to turbo and more extensive electronic circuitry has been just short of an epic fail for the '07 MCS.
This is strictly my own observation based on this and other forums, but unless a dealership takes your side, it seems MINI USA won't do anything. There is wide inconsistency in cases that get goodwill repairs out of warranty and those who get stuck with the bill. My opinion only, but I believe it goes back to the owner's relationship with the dealer.
I think the timing chain issue is not going to go away for BMW/MINI.

The Attorney says I have a case. At the very least I should be able to collect on the misrepresentation from C.A.R.S. and the incompetency, buffoonery, and deception of Sewell. They did pay the $248 for the battery. They didn't eat the cost of the CAS Module even though it didn't solve the problem. They didn't negotiate effectively with C.A.R.S. to get paid for the timing chain. They didn't inform me, clearly, of the difference between the $2100 timing chain job and the $864 C.A.R.S. paid.
I could not understand why Sewell made expensive repairs on your car and you weren't informed of the cost in advance.
The CAS module incident confused me and I wasn't sure if that was just an expensive, for you, experiment or if it was truly necessary.
So, Sewell was guessing that was the problem, but it wasn't, and you ate the cost?
As far C.A.R.S. - what a rip off.
It sounded as if Sewell was negotiating with them, it didn't work out, you weren't informed, and then Sewell went ahead with the repair, and presented you with the bill afterwards?

And, in the other meanwhile, the Dealership that I bought it from, Rockwall Auto Direct, has now really stepped up and offered to buy back the car, replace it with something comparable, or purchase a new, "better" warranty (whom upon internet search appears to be just as bad as C.A.R.S.). I can barely believe it! But, in all honesty, this is one of the reasons we wanted to live in this locale. We knew that this type of behavior might be a real possibility among our neighbors. And it's not the first time we've witnessed.
Now this is great news!
I thought the original dealership had pretty much thrown some cash at the initial problem and then bowed out.
Glad I was wrong!

So, if you've stayed with me this far, my intention is another MCS (or maybe even, fingers crossed, a JCW). I know, it's crazy right?
Yes, it's crazy but we understand. We've got it bad for these cars too.

I LOVE this car! I've had some really FUN cars, but none funner than this one! Especially at this price.

My dilemma now, however, is do I get an '06 MCS with supercharger instead of turbo, equipped the way I want, with less mileage for less money, and less electronic control, knowing that it won't blow up when I drive it off the lot, or an '08 or '09 MCS w/the same mileage for a little bit more money, hoping that the issues are ironed out, post '07 paperweight?

What do you think?
My replies in blue, above.

I have an 09 S Clubman and it runs great. 35+K miles.
The recall was no big deal, although the dealer did say that they found my main water pump had a leak when they did the recall. They replaced it under warranty. It's odd because I didn't have any problems or significant loss of coolant. At any rate, it was fixed at no cost to me.

I have not had the timing chain issue, but keep waiting for it.
Maybe it never will happen, but I plan to buy MINI's extended warranty as I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Do you know about the carbon build up in the turbo engines?
The jury is out on that one, what causes it and how to prevent it, and there are several threads here about it. Others here can explain it better than I. At any rate, you might keep in mind that cleaning the valves periodically could be a possible maintenance item. It sounds like a pain, but nothing like engine failure. Just a heads up.

Good luck in getting some satisfaction for what you've been put through.
I'm glad that you are going to stay with MINI in the end!
Surely you will have better luck next time.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM
chick draper
1st Gear
WOW! Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Those are the kind of details I was looking for. It's very helpful!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I just want to add the importance of hooking up with your local MINI club.
It's not only fun, but also a source of valuable information.
Many club members work on their own cars and know a tremendous amount about the various engines and what to look out for.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
chick draper
1st Gear
And now, it's losing coolant and starting to overheat!

Is it a comedy or tragedy?

I called the dealer yesterday to keep him posted on the latest. I think he started crying a little.

All I can tell you is, I'm not laughing.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear

Where is the car now?
I'm so sorry...

Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
chick draper
1st Gear
It's sitting in my driveway. I'm afraid to touch it!

The Dealer said his people are looking for a replacement, but I did give him some specific requirements, so...

I tend toward the cynical usually, so I can't help but wonder if he's just trying to wait me out. I hope that's not the case, but I'm certainly sick to death of this whole ordeal.

Obviously, the alternate water pump was never replaced under the recall. Not prior to me and certainly not through Sewell Plano during their fiasco. They didn't install the turbo oil line fix either.

Am I making an even greater mistake by trading it for another MINI?

God, I hope not...

Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Try looking for an 05-06 JCW or a GP. 1st Gens are generally easier to wrench around. They've got issues but not as complex as those that go bad on 2nd gens. They've better road feel, too! Oh,+ that charger whine!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Bponce23
2nd Gear
I hear you AustinS! I was telling my Son the very same thing last night.

The warranty is a third party offering. I've purchased 2 before on previous vehicles and both paid for themselves. I've never thought of the company folding before, though. This company has been in business since 1998 and BBB A+ rated since 2009.

They have an explicit list of what's covered and this component, or any generic "electronic" component, is not on that list. All of the other major components are listed, however.

And yes, in spite of it all, I am hopelessly, madly IN LOVE with this car!

What 3rd party warranty did you get? Was it warranty solutions? and if so which plan did you get? 3, 4 or 5 star?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM
chick draper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bponce23
What 3rd party warranty did you get? Was it warranty solutions? and if so which plan did you get? 3, 4 or 5 star?
It is a company called C.A.R.S. Protection Plus. I believe they are out of Pennsylvania. Avoid them like the plague!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Tank251
4th Gear
Wow what a saga. Hope things work on the new MINI.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Sewell didn't replace the recalled aux water pump when they had the car?
Seriously?
Well, if you drive it, leave it in the driveway afterwards.
If any car would catch the garage on fire, my bets are on yours.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting a MINI.
You just got a bad one which is enough to put most people off a brand.
Your experience is not the norm and you are bound to have better luck next time.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 PM
chick draper
1st Gear
As I sit here today, I am beyond mere emotions. This is now a 2 month ordeal and I am sick to death of it! I am afraid to drive the car more than a few blocks as the coolant reservoir keeps draining and the water temp light has come on a few times on longer drives. Other warning lights are starting to randomly light up on the Tach. The audio display on the Speedo has random gaps so that it doesn't display correctly. The alternate water pump recall needs to be answered. The turbo oil line cooler needs to be installed.

Brent at Rockwall Auto Direct now appears to be attempting to go back on what he said, which I feared. His idea of "buying back" the vehicle means giving me "market value" which I can only assume means Dealer Trade In. Obviously, that is 2 to 4 thousand less than what I paid. Of course, that's in addition to the $3,500 already out of my pocket. His idea of "replacing" it appears to mean giving me that same "market value" and giving me the only MINI he has on the lot, an '09 that he has listed for 20k.

He has also given me some crap about how if I don't pay on the loan, he can't make any trade. I did make the payment online, but it was returned. Chase didn't inform me of that fact until last Thursday and, in fact, the payment showed on their website as late as last Friday. He's stalled me for 2 months now and I can't help but think he's gonna come up with some crap about how too much time has passed and he bears no responsibility now. That is, if he would communicate with me. I sent an email on Friday just short of demanding some resolution. Haven't heard back yet.

This has been a NIGHTMARE! I never would have imagined something like this happening just because I wanted a fun car that would get substantially better gas mileage than my pickup. At this point, I have to go back to work which means leaving home and being a substantial distance away for weeks, months, or even a year at a time. I don't have time to deal with this any more. I certainly don't have the patience.

I fear that I am going to be stuck with this piece of crap and that I am going to be far removed from MINI service depts. and continue to spend $1,000 a pop dealing with each new issue, hoping that whoever I can find to work on it knows what they are doing and that the ridiculously overpriced parts hold up, knowing that this "warranty" will only pay a fraction of any repair, if I'm lucky.

Great to be a MINI owner, huh?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Wow is all I can say after reading through this entire thread. This is fortunately, or unfortunately for you, not a common occurrence with Mini's. This car was obviously someone else's problem that they traded in. It must have been involved in some sort of incident like water damage or something to cause all these issues.

So sorry to read about all your troubles. If you can get out from under it find another as they are good cars. My 2003 MCS was great and I am assuming my 2012 will be just as great. Time will tell.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
chick draper
1st Gear
And so, I return. This time with the only modicum of good news yet. Also, more bad, however.

At this juncture, Brent at Rockwall Auto Direct has not communicated with me in at least 2 months. He is not going to do what he said he was going to do. He has gone back on his word. He has no honor. I am a fool to expect any more from a used car salesman. Sad, but true.

I have kept a gallon of water in the car and only driven to the store or the Boy's school and back, checking and refilling the coolant reservoir incessantly. I haven't been able to actually use the car.

Some time back, in the midst of this ordeal, the Service staff at MINI of Dallas reached out to me and offered their assistance. I communicated with them, with great trepidation, off and on for awhile. I did learn, in talking to them, that the water pump recall had been answered, by them, some 2 weeks before I bought it.

I should also tell you that as all this was going on, I was out of work again. My business fluctuates and I move from project to project and travel extensively to do so. I experience layoffs frequently and, often, have a month or 2 between projects. This year, however, has been completely different in that work slowed down precipitously along about the time I bought the car and hasn't really come back yet. I've only worked a few weeks here and there since then, so the prospect of diving into another series of $1000+ repairs was simply out of the question.

After getting a little work, and knowing that the car can't just sit here, I took a chance and took it over to the guys at MINI of Dallas. They had it for about 2 weeks and I communicated with the Tech, the Service Advisor, and the Service Manager frequently. In the meantime, I waited, literally, on pins and needles, worrying that these guys were going to screw me to the wall just like everyone else involved in this fiasco.

I am ecstatic to tell you that is not the case!

The thermostat was identified as the culprit. In addition, the Tech found 3 potential oil leaks, one of which was coming from the oil pan gasket that Sewell had replaced in doing the timing chain. As usual, I began to pull my hair out! They said that they would attempt to repair the oil pan under Sewell's warranty and take care of the other stuff. Of course, the warranty company won't pay squat on any of this.

I won't go back into all the dirty details at this point. I'm tired of talking about it and writing about it.

What I will tell you is that MINI of Dallas and James and Tony now have a customer for life! I could not be happier (although that is tempered with the fear of what's going to break next and when)! They fixed the thermostat and the one oil leak that was certain. They cleaned and torqued the other 2 spots and then pressured tested, drove, and determined that it might just have been residue on those 2. They showed me what to look for and where and said to come back if, in fact, there are leaks. They, apparently, weren't able to get approval to do the oil pan under Sewall's warranty, but hopefully that won't be an issue. Oh, and he did my inspection to boot!

They did all this for less than $400!!! This makes me exceedingly happy!! Not just because of the price, but because they appear to have an innate understanding about how a business takes care of a customer. I am more than happy to recommend the Service Dept. at MINI of Dallas to anyone and everyone. When I am home, I will take the car there exclusively for anything it needs. I also look forward to their next DIY event where they welcome customers to come in and use the facilities to work on their own MINI's. They also happily assist.

If MINI USA honestly wants the American public to think of this car as "High End", they would do well to pay attention to how the staff at MINI of Dallas treat their customers as "High End" car customers.

I am grateful!

Oh, and one last foot note; I got the car almost all the way back home and the Tire Pressure Monitor light came on! You should have heard the screaming and cursing in the cabin at that point! I pulled into my local Discount Tire, where I buy all my tires, and they checked it. All 4 tires had 35 pounds. He tried to sell me some new tire monitors or, better still, new tires. I said, "No I'll wait and investigate further." I got home and looked and the door sticker says 38 psi or 41 over 100. I aired them all up to 40 and figured that would do it. The light didn't go off but I was about to! I called and Tony said, "Oops, I adjusted the tire pressures but forgot to reset the TPM. All you have to do is reset it!"

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Last edited by chick draper; 09-24-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Pure87
4th Gear
Good to see you finally got your MINI taken care of! I've heard of some reliability issues with the '07s, but nothing that bad. At least you now know that MINI of Dallas has got your back should any other issues arise. I hope those are the only major issues you have with your car and you have many more miles of happy motoring ahead.

Luckily, I have 4 nearby MINI dealerships and the 3 that I've been to seem to know what customer service is about, however you've got me scared about my 3rd party warranty. I haven't had to use it yet, but I keep wondering if I might be better off saving that money and using it for the occasional repair. My '06 MCS has been running fine so far on all original parts, though I do have to replace my ABS sensor, which isn't covered by the warranty . What is the name of the warranty that worked well with your last two cars? And thanks for telling us the names of the warranty company and the dealerships that wronged you so that others can stay clear of them until they change their policies. That is not how you treat a customer who you wish to do business with in the future and they do not deserve our business when there are other businesses that are willing to go the extra mile for their customers.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:38 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a company called C.A.R.S. Protection Plus. I believe they are out of Pennsylvania. Avoid them like the plague!
C.A.R.S. - definitely means
Can't
And
Refuse to
Service!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Svaby
Neutral
wow...that was insane... I've been having issues with my 11 MCS i got a few months ago brand new already... was in the shop for 2 days cuz of not starting sometimes and they did a bunch of recalls(thermostat,timing chain) and replaced the battery all for free under warranty and now my windows are acting funny not returning all the up after I open my door....this is the first car i have ever had that has needed to go to a shop...and i have owned over 15 cars...smh

Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Derek1387
2nd Gear
Pretty sure I am dealing with the same thing now. I just bought my Mini 3 weeks ago, and it has been great. But now, no response from the key when it is in the ignition, but can unlock/lock doors, etc. This is starting to scare me.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Errant
2nd Gear
Get the dealer to try a new fob FIRST!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
So, mostly because I can't believe it myself, here's where we are now; The Regional Service Manager gave approval to order a new key fob to see if that would solve the programming and communication problems. They finally got it and contacted me to send proof of ownership before they could use the key fob. They've now programmed it and, sure enough, the car starts for the first time in some 2 weeks!

And then what would you guess happens?

If you said the "Timing Chain Death Rattle" you would win the big fat ceegar!

As I said, I barely can believe it myself! The timing chain is covered by the extended warranty, but I'm still in for over $1100.00 in repairs on a car that I haven't even had for a month yet!

Travis is out today and tomorrow of course. ETA should be some time Friday at the earliest.

I really, really, really hope that this is some sort of fluke and that, henceforth, this car will run like a proverbial top with nary a whimper or hiccup all the live long day, for many, many a day to come!
I am totally dealing with almost the same issue. I took my MINI in two weeks ago to replace the timing chain and everything. Out $1200 after tax. Then this past Saturday morning, my car wouldn't start. No response, no turn over, nothing. But all the lights still worked. Had to tow it to the dealership.

Just spoke to the service tech today, my battery and CAS module had to be replaced. There's another $1100. I think it's time to say goodbye to my car. Luckily, I had it for a year and a half and it was perfect but now...

I hope it gets better for you from here on out :(