General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Carbon Buildup Problem census count

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Yes, you do need two.

I also installed a catch can and blocked off the rear PCV port with two of these.

I have heard from one NAM member that still had buildup reoccur after cleaning even with catch can and blocked rear PCV ports. The previous cleaning was by manual cleaning with carburetor cleaner and wire brushes. He said that the chemical cleaning result was not nearly as good as the walnut blasting and he felt that the reoccurrence may have at least been partially due to insufficiently clean valves.

I guess we'll have to see if the build up still occurs even with the rear port blocked and a catch can on these N14 engines. I suspect that we will find that it does - but probably at a slower rate.
I'm sure that the OCC and PCV delete help out for the most part, but you can't expect 100 percent of the oil vapor to collect in the OCC. From what I see member's pulling out of their OCC is amazing, to think that crud would have gone into the engine is amazing to say the least!

Does anybody have any idea what happens after blocking off the passenger side PCV port and using a BSH OCC on the drivers side PCV to the turbo inlet cause the oil to build up throughout the intake plumbing? I would hate to (trade on problem for another)see the oil building up throughout the intake plumbing while keeping the intake valves clean, kind of like a double sided sword.

Last edited by Systemlord; 09-04-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 PM
MINeclair
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 r56s cleaned under warranty at 14k, walnut blasted again at 33k for $800 out of warranty due to CEL and reduced power. Was told typically the injectors need cleaning at that time too for additional $$. Decided to skip that.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I'm sure that the OCC and PCV delete help out for the most part, but you can't expect 100 percent of the oil vapor to collect in the OCC. From what I see member's pulling out of their OCC is amazing, to think that crud would have gone into the engine is amazing to say the least!

Does anybody have any idea what happens after blocking off the passenger side PCV port and using a BSH OCC on the drivers side PCV to the turbo inlet cause the oil to build up throughout the intake plumbing? I would hate to (trade on problem for another)see the oil building up throughout the intake plumbing while keeping the intake valves clean, kind of like a double sided sword.
The actual amount of oil I have captured in the catch can (CC) is actually pretty small and the intent of the CC is to allow the oil vapors to slow down inside the CC to allow the oil to separate from the vapor. Due to the rear PCV suction point being "downhill" from the oil cover outlet I found that hose (since removed and blocked) to be heavily loaded with oil.

I am hoping that the front PCV discharge will have less entrained oil and that we will not see a measurable increase in oil in the intercooler etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The actual amount of oil I have captured in the catch can (CC) is actually pretty small and the intent of the CC is to allow the oil vapors to slow down inside the CC to allow the oil to separate from the vapor. Due to the rear PCV suction point being "downhill" from the oil cover outlet I found that hose (since removed and blocked) to be heavily loaded with oil.

I am hoping that the front PCV discharge will have less entrained oil and that we will not see a measurable increase in oil in the intercooler etc.
It is for this reason I'm having second thoughts, I have both blocking caps that I purchased at the Audi dealer and the BHS OCC. I'm ready to install but find myself pausing until it's known if there is any oil building up in the drivers side PCV leading to the turbo inlet. I don't want to find oil in the intercooler later on because if the intercooler has oil in it then so does the entire intake plumbing.

The question is does the OCC trap all of the oil vapor that is redirected to the turbo inlet? If not than the oil vapor will coat the intercooler and all of the intake tract, I'd be trading one problem for another. So who wants to be the one to find out whether or not there's oil in the intercooler?

Last edited by Systemlord; 09-06-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM
LClaud94
Neutral
'08 Cooper S 67k Miles

Bought it used less than 2 weeks ago, started to misfire a week after i got it and took to mini. Said around $500 to blast with walnut shells, covered through my extended warranty through Pence Nissan.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Summary
Neutral
I am new at this!

What would be the symptoms of a carbon build up problem? My car runs lousy after 44,000 miles and the dealer is telling me to stop using cheap gas....I hate driving it !

Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
carverbaby
1st Gear
My CEL came on again last week and it's the same problem. Third time in 3 years. My car is an 09 and this has happened in 2010, 2011 and now 2013. I didn't get the extended warranty but one guy at Stevens creek says he hasn't found any warranties that cover this carbon cleaning. :-[

Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
The S has a lot of power and that tends to mask the carbon buildup problem. Depending on how sensitive you are to engine smoothness and throttle response you may notice engine being less responsive and a fall off in power. I noted that part throttle acceleration was less crisp and engine did not take throttle smoothly. I noted slight bucking under light acceleration. Engine ran like new after cleaning.

I cleaned my valves at 33k miles. I never had misfiring or engine codes. I read in an Audi post that one guy ran a dyno test before and after walnut blasting and saw a 40 HP increase! This problem is common with direct injection engines - not just MINIs.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
fastNugly
2nd Gear
may notice engine being less responsive and a fall off in power. I noted that part throttle acceleration was less crisp and engine did not take throttle smoothly. I noted slight bucking under light acceleration. Engine ran like new after cleaning.
I'm noticing a bit of this especially since installing and loading the AP
Not sure if its the AP or what's being mentioned in this thread.

My vehicle is still under warranty,....any recommendation on how to get my dealer to check it out and possibly clean it out?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 AM
LClaud94
Neutral
Update

Got mine "cleaned" by crown mini yesterday go figure it ran smooth on the way home but started having the same troubles having the car turn over and not stall out and went out this morning and it turns over and then sputters out and stalls 6 times before it finally will not stall but it shakes the car quite bad and makes the revs fluctuate trying to keep it from stalling. Also was not covered in warranty and paid $500 to clean cylinder heads and fuel injectors.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 AM
blackonblack
Neutral
09 MCS Carbon buildup problem noted at 30+K. Dealer agreed to cover since this was after warranty period but had a history of timing chain replacement earlier. Car has 45K now, should I start to Sea Foam the engine. Can someone post or direct me on how-to? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
use a catch can if your breather system is not broke(if it is you will have big problems)read this it will solve everything
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-more.html

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 AM
bhawk4175
1st Gear
09 MCS w 35K Miles Carbon Build up

This is insane. Mini needs to do something.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Summary
Neutral
Only S models

Originally Posted by gestero
It seems the carbon build up occurs in the S-models.
Is this ever a problem with non s models. Mine is a 2008 mini. Less responsive than ever....44,000 miles only use premium gas but the dealer told me I use bad premium gas..Hess ...should use shell or Sunoco and there s nothing wrong with the car.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your in the philly area HELIX has the best deal going. Eric and his shop are very good at working on these cars. Prolly don't get much better to behonest.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
The mileage on my 2008 MINI turned 70k before I walnut blasted the carbon build up for the first time. I ran it mostly short distances for the first 16k miles as I worked close to home. I since changed jobs and my daily commute is now 60 miles. My opinion, for what little it's worth, is that short runs contribute more to the problem as the engine doesn't get fully warmed up.

I used a remote camera to inspect the intake before starting the walnut blasting and it was so bad I could hardly see the intake valves. I followed the instructions in the "How To" section and things went pretty well. I found it was a lot of work but, with the remote camera, I can see that things cleaned up pretty well. I have power and responsiveness back that's been missing for a long time.

I strongly recommend the walnut blasting. My biggest regret is waiting so long to do it!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM
cowboy3500
1st Gear
I have a couple extra BMW extraction adapters. PM me if you want one. $70 plus $5 shipping

Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM
animal1
2nd Gear
Cabon Cleaning Tool

https://www.lntstore.com/categories/...ction-Service/

Here ya go for an "S" tool cheap priced and same as BG and all others.

Make your own pressure pot and you have a system to run anything through it.

Be safe!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM
animal1
2nd Gear
Carbon Products

I use BG 44k and BG AIS Intake cleaner chems. Best you can get and no I don't work for them.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Jailer6
Neutral
Had it happen too

Had the increased emissions warning come on and brought it in to the dealer. They told me it was carbon build up and would cost $550.00 plus tax. That included a fuel injector cleaning as we'll and re-program.
I have a 09 clubman s with 15000 miles. I passed as I have never heard of this issue, until now.....

Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jailer6
Had the increased emissions warning come on and brought it in to the dealer. They told me it was carbon build up and would cost $550.00 plus tax. That included a fuel injector cleaning as we'll and re-program.
I have a 09 clubman s with 15000 miles. I passed as I have never heard of this issue, until now.....
Wow I had to pay a whopping $800 dollars to have mine cleaned!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM
animal1
2nd Gear
OK if you are in or around the Reno area I will do your with the pressure system for BG 44k for $125.00. You should replace plugs then if you hadn't already after the cleaning. Add another $60.00 for those installed plus I can do it on the weekends.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Ishihara
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
adding to the list...

2010 MCS, 24k miles... car bought used, and after 9 days, the check engine light went active... dealer today stated carbon build up, and will be cleaned under warranty...

Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
RobBrash
Neutral
My 2009 MCSC is in the shop for carbon buildup right now. 62K miles. I bought it with 30K miles 21 months ago. Was in the shop at 35K miles for carbon buildup, covered under warranty. This time not covered under my third-party "mechanical failure" warranty. The dealer quoted me $500 but they are covering half of that. They are also fixing cracked strut mounts (but that is covered under my warranty).

Question: I have someone who can help me clean the carbon buildup myself, but how do you guys clear the Check Engine light? My friend has a code reader from his BMW, but when we plugged it into my car it didn't register any codes. Is the MINI reader different than the BMW? And where can I get one?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
fastNugly
2nd Gear
This more than likely has been discussed....but what are some of the symptoms to know whether to take your mini into the dealer or not?
How does one determine they have carbon build up without having a camera on hand to verify this?

Quick Reply: Engine Carbon Buildup Problem census count