General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Carbon Buildup Problem census count

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by MattSaint
They performed the walnut blasting with the head on, but yes that covered disassembly and reassembly and the walnut blasting. It did not include a new intake gasket.
The intake manifold uses O-rings so a gasket isn't needed.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
The intake manifold uses O-rings so a gasket isn't needed.
My dealer also updated my ECU software after performing the carbon cleaning, I felt the difference right away.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:03 AM
DerpyDawg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2009 MCS from my brother, I've had it less than three months and I've already had to replace the battery and front cowl covers. I just got the injectors flushed and noticed a loss of power, then the check engine light came on reporting a misfire. After taking it in the dealer told me the issue was carbon fouling, and quoted me $1200 for the walnut treatment, new plugs and labor. This pisses me off so much I think the next time this happens I'll be able to do it myself.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DerpyDawg
I just bought a 2009 MCS from my brother, I've had it less than three months and I've already had to replace the battery and front cowl covers. I just got the injectors flushed and noticed a loss of power, then the check engine light came on reporting a misfire. After taking it in the dealer told me the issue was carbon fouling, and quoted me $1200 for the walnut treatment, new plugs and labor. This pisses me off so much I think the next time this happens I'll be able to do it myself.
Just replace the spark plugs and try another dealer because the prices seem to be drastically different between dealers. You shouldn't be paying more that $600, I know of places that offer walnut blasting $350-550 and one of those dealers charge the latter. The only reason why I would take it to a dealer is because they'll reflash your ECU which is a huge bonus! By the time I'm ready for another walnut blasting will most likely be after my extended warranty expires, I'll have a tune by then so I wouldn't want a reflash.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 AM
DerpyDawg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Just replace the spark plugs and try another dealer because the prices seem to be drastically different between dealers. You shouldn't be paying more that $600, I know of places that offer walnut blasting $350-550 and one of those dealers charge the latter. The only reason why I would take it to a dealer is because they'll reflash your ECU which is a huge bonus! By the time I'm ready for another walnut blasting will most likely be after my extended warranty expires, I'll have a tune by then so I wouldn't want a reflash.

Well I went ahead and had them do it, then called another dealer who quoted me $300 less, then I saw a mechanic buddy over the weekend who laughed at me and said, 'Oh I could do that for $20, never go to a dealer unless your car is under warranty.'

She seems a little punchier now, and I got an OBDLink coming in the mail so I'll be able to tell what the lights mean. I don't like not knowing how this thing works!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 AM
theUnderDog13
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pjdaustin
If you MIni has been diagnosed with a carbon buildup problem in the intake and required cleaning please post your mileage, model and resolution - dealer serviced at Cost, or no charge. Let's get a count going and number every post.
08 MCS w/ 80k-90k miles. I was charged $745 for the intake cleaning.....

Old 10-21-2014, 10:56 AM
MKuRNDY
Neutral
Checkered Flag Mini carbon issue...

I found out today that they are saying I have the carbon build up, my 2009 S has about 63000 miles on it and they want 1070.xx for clean up. I'll try some other methods first...for that I'll pull the head and clean it up in a parts washer....

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
2010 R55 S with 42K miles. It was done under factory warranty. They found casting flaw in one intake runner and replaced the cylinder head.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blind Dog Daddy
2010 R55 S with 42K miles. It was done under factory warranty. They found casting flaw in one intake runner and replaced the cylinder head.
Did they replace any valve train components or just transfer original valve train components to new head? I never heard of a casting flaw in an aluminum head before.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM
laissezfairey
Neutral
Carbon build up at 70k

"Baby" 2010 Cooper S convertible

70k, carbon build-up. Wondering if anybody loves the car itself so much that they replace the engine with something not direct injected. And if so what?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:58 PM
CWicK
1st Gear
Rough Start 68k

2008 MCS here at 68k started getting very rough starts. Car ran fine after revving to prevent engine from dying. CEL came on with a bunch of cylinder misfire codes. Brought it into my mechanic and they performed the Carbon Cleanup for $500. They mentioned MINI of San Francisco charges ~$1400. They also had suspicion that the fuel pump could be a culprit as well, but did not see the corresponding ODBII code yet. (also had the Thermostat housing replaced, another notorious issue it seems)

Lo and behold, the next time I started my car I had the same issue. It even kicked the engine into "limp mode". A new code came out P3091, which meant: Fuel Rail Pressure Pressure-Rate-Controlled, fallen below minimum pressure. Bingo! it's the code they were looking for.

My mechanic advises me to take this one to the dealer to have the fuel pump replaced for free. Hopefully all goes well at Mini of Marin tomorrow and I get to experience this brand new performance ya'll speak of!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Countryman2011
Neutral
Carbon buildup 2011 Countryman turbo

I recently had the CEL come on. I had it check and they told me two cylinders were misfiring and the ful injection to those cylinders was being shut off. The mini ran terrible and had no power. The next day I could drive it but I had to baby it to make sure I did not kick the turbo in.
It has 51,000 miles and I am the second owner.
The dealer in Ontario, ca wanted $1000 to clean out the carbon. I took it to a local European service center and they did a chemical treatment that made it much better but it still misses and the CELs came on again. I think the shop did a chemical clean and not the walnut clean that some shops use.

It would be great if some knowledgeable mini owner would make a video on how to sea foam the 2011 and later mini. All od the current YouTube videos do not show the current engines and I am a little unsure where the vacuum hose is located to use the Sea Foam process. Also if you disconnect the vacuum sensor will the CELs come on?
Any help would be appreciated. It does not seem like it is rocket science and the direct fuel injection that causes this problem is nothing more than a cash cow for the mini dealers!
Countryman 2011 turbo

Old 02-19-2015, 04:58 AM
The M People
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Countryman2011
The dealer in Ontario, ca wanted $1000 to clean out the carbon.
Countryman 2011 turbo
Which dealership in Ontario may I ask ?

And is your Countryman a N14 or N18 engine ?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 AM
Countryman2011
Neutral
Carbon problem

I just Google dealers and hit the call button and I think it was the only dealer in Ontario. I believe my mini is the later engine model the n-18. Let me know if you have seen any good How-To videos that show the sea foam operation for that engine.
How about some smart inventor making an aftermarket kit with great instructions that uses the chemical process? If it is easy to use you go set it up while you wash your car them start it up and drive your car to clean out the environmental friendly chemicals to dry it off!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 AM
shaslers
1st Gear
I believe my mini is the later engine model the n-18.
N-18

N14

Note the difference in the engine covers.

The jury is out whether the N-18 solves the carbon build up due to a change in the way the oil vapors are exhausted. The issue with detergent treatment is that it never reaches the top of the valves, which lie outside where direct injection fuel can get to, and which collect the exhaust gunk as it exits. That leaves us with the only option of blasting or scrubbing the deposits off the top of the valves.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 AM
The M People
1st Gear
I just Google dealers and hit the call button and I think it was the only dealer in Ontario. I believe my mini is the later engine model the n-18. Let me know if you have seen any good How-To videos that show the sea foam operation for that engine.
How about some smart inventor making an aftermarket kit with great instructions that uses the chemical process? If it is easy to use you go set it up while you wash your car them start it up and drive your car to clean out the environmental friendly chemicals to dry it off!
Hi Countryman2011

Like shaslers said, seafoam will not clean the carbon because of our direct injected engine and the carbon is build up at the back side of the valves. From what I gathered , walnut blasting is the way to go.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Countryman2011
Neutral
I definitely have the N-18. Thanks so much for the pictures. They truly are worth a 1000 words! I assume if you were going to Seafoam the N-18 engine that you would dribble the seafoam in the large vacuum tube on the left top view of the engine behind the sensor? Do you need to disconnect the sensor when you do this process?
Thanks again. I love the car and I just want to figure out how to live with the carbon problem without having to use a dealership and pay their crazy prices.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Countryman2011
Neutral
Thanks m-people and Shaslers. I think the sea foam is not the total answer but it definitely provides some immediate improvement. I've read about the walnut cleaning process and I think a couple of Diy folks are doing it. Any idea where or what the equipment would cost assume you have the air compressor capacity?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks m-people and Shaslers. I think the sea foam is not the total answer but it definitely provides some immediate improvement. I've read about the walnut cleaning process and I think a couple of Diy folks are doing it. Any idea where or what the equipment would cost assume you have the air compressor capacity?
Bavarian Autosport sells a Walnut Blasting Kit minus your provided compressor. For someone who doesn't want to piece together their own, it's a decent price for what you get.

http://bavauto.com/shop.asp

Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 AM
shaslers
1st Gear
Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 AM
The M People
1st Gear
I definitely have the N-18.
I have the N18 too and I think I'll have to consider walnut blasting a routine maintenance item.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM
shaslers
1st Gear
The switch to the Prince N18 occurred in 2011. I had an N14 in a 2007 MCS. That car crapped out due to this issue and oil issues. I bought a 2012 JCW Coupe with the understanding I was getting away from the N14. Alas, my JCW still uses the N14. That's why I'm well aware of how to spot the difference. Not sure if I would have bought my current Mini had I known what I know now. So far no sign of carbon build up, but I have not disassembled down to the valves. I had not considered blasting as a precautionary measure.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:05 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by The M People
Which dealership in Ontario may I ask ? And is your Countryman a N14 or N18 engine ? Thanks.
All countrymen use the N16 (naturally aspirated) or N18 (turbo).

Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Also check with independent shops. A few in my area do walnut blasting in the $300-$400 range.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
There are kits and DIYs here.

Most of the carbon build I have seen was with N14 engines, also because there are more N14 with higher mileage. Some with N18. Guess it depends on driving characteristics as short trips and not warming the intake up seems to progress the problem. I have seen blasting an N14 engine and a couple shots with the blaster wound and it all came out.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: Engine Carbon Buildup Problem census count