General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dogs in your Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 AM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dogs in your Mini?

I have a 72 pound black mixed golden retriever puppy. I really need to take him for rides in my leather upholstered CMS. However, I'm obsessing over scratching the seats, drool and all that stuff.

What are some suggestions on protecting the car's interior?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 AM
motor12
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take my dog(Boston terrier) all the time. I throw an old blanket on the back seat to give him something to grab onto so he won't slide all over.He loves it, the only thing i have to do is clean nose marks and slobber from the windows. Even though he only weighs in at 22 lbs some what lighter than your dog its still the same deal.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Runner_Girl
Neutral
Originally Posted by motor12
I take my dog(Boston terrier) all the time. I throw an old blanket on the back seat to give him something to grab onto so he won't slide all over.He loves it, the only thing i have to do is clean nose marks and slobber from the windows. Even though he only weighs in at 22 lbs some what lighter than your dog its still the same deal.
Hi motor12! Can you elaborate please? What do you mean that you give your dog something to hold on to? Doesn't the blanket slide? I have a similar dilemma transporting my 80 lb rottweiller/shepard mutt in the back of 2011 Cooper S. I would appreciate suggestions. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Check out PoochStyle to protect those seats. I use a harness and seatbelt clip to keep my 55lb dog more or less secure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walk0080/5797642904/http://www.flickr.com/photos/walk0080/5797642904/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/walk0080/, on Flickr

Last edited by walk0080; 08-04-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
Whenever I take either of my Labs (one is 70lbs the other is 100lbs...), I fold down the back seats so they can't do any damage to the upholstery. I usually drape a blanket over the area as well to minimize the dog hair left behind.

I'd really like to get the rear pet cover, but it's nearly $300! I think I'll just try to make my own; I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and there's no way it'll cost $300 in materials!!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrsDarcy
Whenever I take either of my Labs (one is 70lbs the other is 100lbs...), I fold down the back seats so they can't do any damage to the upholstery. I usually drape a blanket over the area as well to minimize the dog hair left behind.

I'd really like to get the rear pet cover, but it's nearly $300! I think I'll just try to make my own; I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and there's no way it'll cost $300 in materials!!
I paid $210 including shipping for my cover from Poochstyle that protects the rear seats and site panels. I think it is well worth it and it of course included labour for someone else to make it along with profit. The MINI OEM cover on the other hand is a little bland and overpriced.

If you are handy with the sewing machine, then you might be all set to make something custom for your needs

Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
motor12
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Runner_Girl
Hi motor12! Can you elaborate please? What do you mean that you give your dog something to hold on to? Doesn't the blanket slide? I have a similar dilemma transporting my 80 lb rottweiller/shepard mutt in the back of 2011 Cooper S. I would appreciate suggestions. Thanks!
Well Runner Girl your dog is bigger but the idea is the same. I use a rather large blanket folded a couple of times then lay it on the back seat, it fills the entire seat so there is no room to slide.Buster, my dog then has something with a bit of texture to sit on and won't slide all over the place. The key is to drive like you have an unbelted dog for a passenger, i try to stay on four wheels and definitely no drifting unless Buster is up for it..

Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
These folks make what I think is the absolute best dog car harness. The forces are distributed through the harness to D rings rather than through plastic quick-release buckles (even though they do use them for putting the harness on and off). They also have some other excellent products for keeping your seats clean.

http://usak9outfitters.com/index.htm

And these guys have a nice selection of seat protectors: http://www.petautosafety.com/

And for the smaller dogs, this line of pet seats is the best: http://snoozerpetproducts.com/pet-ca...s-c-26_33.html We ordered ours through our local pet store (not a chain) and were able to select the fabric type and color as well as piping.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Runner_Girl
Neutral
Great information here! Thanks everyone for your ideas on how to keep my mini clean and my dog safe.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
Originally Posted by walk0080
I paid $210 including shipping for my cover from Poochstyle that protects the rear seats and site panels. I think it is well worth it and it of course included labour for someone else to make it along with profit. The MINI OEM cover on the other hand is a little bland and overpriced.

If you are handy with the sewing machine, then you might be all set to make something custom for your needs
I just checked out their website! The pics the owners (MINI and Dog owners) sent it were too cute.

Typically, I'll drive my husbands truck whenever we take the dogs somewhere, but with the cover, I really wouldn't mind having them in the MINI. In fact, I'd love to have them Motor with me!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
The standard Poodle is no longer with us. But she and the black Cocker/Poodle both love going for a drive the car.

Sometimes they would sneak out side to play...

or work

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
My 60lb Golden Retriever goes lots of places with me. She's good at hopping up in the boot without scratching the bumper. Until she could do that I lifted her in. I have a blanket or cover that I put in to cover the back of the seats (I fold 'em down most of the time). She rides up against the front seats now that she doesn't fit way in the back. If I'm going a ways I throw one of her beds in so it's a little squishier for her. She's learned to sit up and lean in the corners.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM
DreamMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DaCrema
The standard Poodle is no longer with us. But she and the black Cocker/Poodle both love going for a drive the car.

or work
These pix make me want to own a dog...Once I finish school...

Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DaCrema

or work
Adorable !!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 AM
cartpix
2nd Gear
I use a quilted furniture blanket, from Home depot, in my Clubman. I think I paid less than $20 for it. It's wide enough to up the sides & long enough to go up the back of the seats & cover the rear bumper. It's more or less the right size but not fitted or contoured to the car so it's a bit of work to lay out. I am going to add loops to hold it on the front seat headrests. I fold it up & stow it in my spare tire well, ftertaking out the styrofoam tool holder (tools in small tool bag above the spare well.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 AM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cartpix
I use a quilted furniture blanket, from Home depot, in my Clubman. I think I paid less than $20 for it. It's wide enough to up the sides & long enough to go up the back of the seats & cover the rear bumper. It's more or less the right size but not fitted or contoured to the car so it's a bit of work to lay out. I am going to add loops to hold it on the front seat headrests. I fold it up & stow it in my spare tire well, ftertaking out the styrofoam tool holder (tools in small tool bag above the spare well.
This seems like the best suggestion. My main worry was scratching the rear bumper. My dog is a BIG 8 month old energetic puppy who loves to put stuff in his mouth that otherwise would not belong. So the moving blanket looks like the way to go.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 AM
cartpix
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by John Richard
This seems like the best suggestion. My main worry was scratching the rear bumper. My dog is a BIG 8 month old energetic puppy who loves to put stuff in his mouth that otherwise would not belong. So the moving blanket looks like the way to go.

Thanks
I'm not sure how much longer the cargo area is in a Countryman but you may not be able to cover the seat backs & have enough to cover the bumper. Maybe a bigger blanket. My Home Depot only had the one size & it just happened to be the perfect size. I already had a few & just threw one in to protect the interior when carrying cargo. It wasn't until I took the time to really open it up, to find how well it fit in my Clubman.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I just took my dogs to the kennel in my MINI. Never again. Getting the hair out of the carpet in my prized possession convinced me to get a clunker for doggie stuff.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take my friend "Mario" everyplace I go.

I got this dog bed from Driving comfort and it fits sideways on my passenger seat. As soon as Mario sees me put it in the car he knows we are going someplace. He loves going and he likes looking out the windows so this is perfect. There is a drewer in the side for bones and treats etc.

He also likes to sleep when we go really far.

This is by far the best thing I have ever bought for my car.

Last edited by ronnie948; 08-07-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
A harness or an airline crate is definitely the safest option for a dog.

The cheapest thing I've found to protect my interior is a two layer solution. Put a shower curtain down and then an oversized towel (72"x72" is a size we've been able to find for less than $20 at Costco or Target). It's a great combo, and you can wash the towel pretty regularly to keep the smell down.