General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Raelf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I smoke...

... and while I LOVE my MINI, it's one of the more difficult cars to smoke in.

The roof is so flat that if there's even dew up there, water POURS in the window.

If it's raining, you and your interior are getting wet. (Not to mention your speakers, mirror controls, and carpets!)

If it's dry, your back seat is getting an ash-bath.

I am not a fan of those cheap add-on window guards, but it looks like I need to have them installed.

Products? Comments? Solutions?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:58 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't smoke!!!!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Juancho
2nd Gear
Im a smoker, and the solution I have is to not smoke in the car! I don't smoke in my cars or in my houses. It really ruins the value on anything.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Raelf
1st Gear
I live 120 miles from work. Not smoke? Not gonna happen... besides, my car is the last bastion of places I can light up at will without some non-smokin' meddling **** telling me I can't.

I understand the risks and costs associated with smoking. I was asking for advice here on how people have overcome said obstacles with their MINIs.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't smoke, but perhaps something like this could help?

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL2022-I...pr_product_top

Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
I am a non-smoker but would probably start if I had to drive 120 miles to work.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
120 miles????

Is that one way or both way's?

If one way that would be 240 miles a day.

If so, You need to smoke something other then tobaco.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 AM
CoolantGuy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cop1406
I am a non-smoker but would probably start if I had to drive 120 miles to work.
+1 well I smoke but not in the mini but 120 miles I definitly would light up at least twice

Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
I too am a smoker and have noticed a few things about smoking in the mini.

1: If there is a decent cross wind blowing at the driver side window there is no hope, your ash will inevitably get blown back in your face or to the back seat
solution ash in factory cup holder ash try thing. dispose of ashtray contents asap to avoid ungodly hot car full of spent cigarette stink.

2: If only slightly raining just barely crack the window and hold off on the windshield wipers till your done. (wipers wipe all the rain on to the driver side window, but with enough speed rain may travel over the top of the car)

3: If its raining, you and your tweeter, and your door panel are getting wet. Keep a rag handy.

4:(my favorite) if its not raining and at high way speeds, i like to roll down all windows and open the sun roof. all windows open + 60-80mph + leave cigarette in mouth till done = magical cigarette that autoashes itself out the window whilst I slam through gears with two free hands.

5: and a general tip that works in most vehicles, open the window only 1/4 to 1/2 inch, when ready to ash slowly move your cigarette close to crack once your cigarette is about 1/2 inch from the crack a slight flick and your ash will be sucked out the window(many times you don't even have to flick, it will just get sucked out) at the same time if you were to quickly move your cigarette out the window and filck it, the ash would blow back in you face.

6: another general smoking tip. Make sure you ac is not on recirculate mode but on fresh air( default when you turn the ac on) this will add positive pressure to the cabin which will suck all the smoke straight out a cracked window perfectly.

on a side note my mom has the most sensitive nose i have ever encountered, she can smell cigarettes a mile away and she really hates cigarettes, but with regular vacuuming(about once a week depending on the amount of cross winds lately), and a little bit of automotive febreze, she has no idea that I constantly smoke in the mini.

LOL at my smoking write up, its a slow day at work today

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Ok so has anyone found a good windshield cleaner that actually gets rid of smoke residue?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Problem solved, even works in no smoking areas like airplanes and court houses. A lot cheaper too.

Attached Thumbnails Ok, so I smoke...-copenhagen-20orig-5_05-75.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
I switched to an electronic cigarette about 18 months ago. Haven't had a regular cigarette since then. Problem solved. Do they even make window visors for the MINI? I'd be interested even though I don't smoke anymore. I still drive with the windows open all the time.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cole9953
...she has no idea that I constantly smoke in the mini...
I doubt that She is probably just being polite to you.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
JimR56JCW
3rd Gear
Having a fire (lit cigarette) inside a vehicle is one of the most dangerous things you can do. If it falls, your car might burn or you will kill someone while frantically trying to find it and put it out. Anyone who smokes in a car should have their license revoked.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by noreen99
Ok so has anyone found a good windshield cleaner that actually gets rid of smoke residue?
Autoglym glass polish. I haven't used it on smoke, but is works so well on everything else it should work on smoke film too. I love this stuff.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
LOL @ some ppl's comments

I have the same problems when I smoke in my car (rarely). If I am going fast enough, i just ash out of the sunroof.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 AM
glorkar
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JimR56JCW
Having a fire (lit cigarette) inside a vehicle is one of the most dangerous things you can do. If it falls, your car might burn or you will kill someone while frantically trying to find it and put it out. Anyone who smokes in a car should have their license revoked.

If you are basing your rational on distraction, anyone that drives with any beverage (could spill and cause and electrical short, thus burning the car and distracting the driver) or listens to music (driver gets in a zone singing along and forgets where they are, resulting in a crash that kills innocent school children and nuns) should also have their licenses pulled.

Back on topic - when I smoke in my MINI is just crack the window about an inch or two and ash towards the front by the mirror, there seems to be the least amount of backwind there. Still have to clean the back seats off occasionally though.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
Cole9953: you covered everything beautifully, with ashes!

I'm a "used to smoke, part time, special occasion smoker" these days but I've often pondered the same topics.

Anyone feeling awkward yet?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
hbr
Banned
Riiiiiiiight......I see that happen ALL the time

Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
Having a fire (lit cigarette)
Food for thought here. A lit cigarette is not an open flame. It is only embers. A lit cigarette can spark a fire, but will not ignite gas.

***DISCLAIMER***
I do not smoke. I think it is quite the disgusting habit. But then again I bite my nails. To each their own.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM
fenderless 33
2nd Gear
I wish someone would make the windowshields that don't let the rain in and suck air out of the cabin like I have on my suburban. I can't finf them anybody out there found any?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rated_R
Food for thought here. A lit cigarette is not an open flame. It is only embers. A lit cigarette can spark a fire, but will not ignite gas.

***DISCLAIMER***
I do not smoke. I think it is quite the disgusting habit. But then again I bite my nails. To each their own.

I smoke and bite my nails. Am I gonna get beat up??

Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
I smoke and bite my nails. Am I gonna get beat up??
I think you are just trying to get the excess nicotine out from under your nails.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM
pdubb
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=glorkar;3531548]If you are basing your rational on distraction, anyone that drives with any beverage (could spill and cause and electrical short, thus burning the car and distracting the driver) or listens to music (driver gets in a zone singing along and forgets where they are, resulting in a crash that kills innocent school children and nuns) should also have their licenses pulled.

Seriously! smoking in the car is not half as much distracting as some of the stuff people do (and legally, I might add) and if someone wants to smoke in their car, who cares> it's their car.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Pure87
4th Gear
Really? I don't even smoke (can't stand the smell), but this is a load. With the amount of smokers I spot during my daily commute, I should see a car fire everyday if smoking in a car is as dangerous as you say.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I smoke...