General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Cooper S Headlight Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM
elex212
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Cooper S Headlight Options

Hey all,

I currently have a 2002 Mini Cooper S with stock headlights and the visibility is not to my satisfaction. I have added extra driving lamps, which only improved my high beam lights since it only works with high beams. What options are there to change my headlights?

Any ideas?

Much appreciated!

PS - I have already tried installing two different bulbs, which just made visibility worse. I am back to the original halogens which aren't great

Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 AM
NH_MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Try using OSRAM Rallye H7 bulbs, they're rated at 65W with an output of 2100 lumens while still maintaining the same 500 hour life rating as a standard 55W H7 bulb. These bulbs are the real deal, no blue color, no short lifespan, just plain upgraded light.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
If you want to change to look of your car and get some light on the road, why don't you look at getting a set of halo projection headlights.
I got a set 9 months ago and am very happy with them.
You can find them on Ebay from several different vendors.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I had SilverStars in my 02 and got better than 3 years out of the bulbs b4 the first failure and was happy with the improved visibility with seldom a complaint from an approaching vehicle. Note that there are sep' bulbs for high and low beam. They are the same bulb, just aimed different. If you want to do a full changeout you need 4 bulbs. If you only plan to change the lows, a common boo boo is to change the wrong bulb and then wonder why there was no improvement ... ben there and have the t-shirt. SilverStar are easy to find at any decent autopart store.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by NH_MCS
Try using OSRAM Rallye H7 bulbs, they're rated at 65W with an output of 2100 lumens while still maintaining the same 500 hour life rating as a standard 55W H7 bulb. These bulbs are the real deal, no blue color, no short lifespan, just plain upgraded light.
^ +1 what he said.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
elex212
Neutral
Originally Posted by Vollgas
If you want to change to look of your car and get some light on the road, why don't you look at getting a set of halo projection headlights.
I got a set 9 months ago and am very happy with them.
You can find them on Ebay from several different vendors.
Thanks everyone!
Right now the osram h7s sound like the best and easiest option. But the halo projection headlights definitely sound interesting

Vollgas, how easy were they to install? What year is your mc? Because I heard they don't always fit properly because, most certainly, 02-07 headlight fixtures aren't the same. Also, would it be possible for you to post a picture of your new headlights?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
bccan
2nd Gear
x3 for Osram Rallye, part # 64217. Big improvement over standard H7.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another vote for the H7 rally bulbs from Osram. They're awesome!

Best place to get them: http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Beware of aftermarket headlight and taillights. First off, virtually none of them are legal for use. Second, because they are not tested by the DOT, the manufacturers often cut corners, resulting in a poorer performing light.

Also, do not be fooled by HID upgrades. Besides being illegal, the housing design for an HID bulb is very different from that of a halogen bulb. There isn't a single HID upgrade kit for halogen housings that is legal or works properly.

Finally, avoid any bulb that is tinted. All tinting does is rob the bulb of light.

I'm running factory HID on my low beams, and even though the high beams are halogen, I'm super impressed with the Osram rally bulbs. basically, they're a 9000 series bulb on an H7 base. Technically, they're illegal to run as well, but at least the filiment is the proper design, shape, and orientation and also get's positioned in the housing properly. I don't worry about the technical illegality because I can buy perfectly legal 2100 lumen 55 watt bulbs but they just won't last as long.