General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New discoveries in motoring perfection (participation encouraged!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Rigby2011Cooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New discoveries in motoring perfection (participation encouraged!)

Well, I've gotten a chance to really get out there and drive. I've taken my MINI to empty parking lots for hours at a time, I've driven to work everyday, took it on day trips, and just drove for the heck of it.

It has been a little over 4 months since I purchased my new MINI, it has also been a little over 4 months since I began learning how to drive a manual tranny car. I can honestly say that I am 10,000% better than I was. I shift smoothly 85-90% of the time, which I think is pretty good, considering I am still technically 'wet behind the ears'.

I have really been exploring the details of my MINI ... feeling it out, and tweaking my driving technique. Here are my findings (all comments are welcome! I'd like to continue to hone my driving skills, so throw out suggestions, and things to try ... I'm game):

1.) When starting at the bottom, or in the middle of a hill, you have to slip the clutch a little bit more than on flat ground ... once started, you have to take the RPM up closer to 5000 RPM from first gear to second gear in order to get a smooth shift. This is probably because you need more momentum, because when you let off the gas on a hill for your shift, the incline will force the car to slow down faster than on a level surface.

2.) I've tried all different kinds of shift points from first to second in various road conditions. These are my findings ... perhaps I just need to practice other techniques:

A.) When on level ground and launching slowly and casually, you can immediately take the car into second gear at around 2000 RPM (10 MPH?). I get a smooth shift when I do this, but there isn't a lot of power behind the car at this point ... as I mentioned, this is really for a slow, casual start. Maybe you aren't even going to leave second gear because you're in a parking lot, or driving through a small development.

B.) When I try to shift from first to second at around 3000-3500 RPM, I have problems with a chunky shift. The car bucks a bit, and I can definitely hear the pressure disks 'bouncing' on each other until they settle. I don't let the clutch up too fast, I do it smoothly and even hold the clutch in the friction zone for a split second before smoothly releasing it the rest of the way. So, I've been experimenting with a slightly higher RPM from first to second, and it is smooth as butter at 4000-4200 RPM. Normally, I'd be thrilled, and I'd say to myself "well, this particular car just isn't smooth at 300-3500 RPM", but this is the range I see everyone saying to shift at. This makes me believe that it must be my driving error causing the crappy shift at this range.

I'd shift it at 4000-4200 RPM all the time, because this is where I get the best shift, but the engine is screaming at this point. Is this way too high of a shift point for first gear? Forgive my ignorance, but again ... I am still learning, and would like to grow into a good stick shift driver.

C.) I am smooth in all other gears, second-third, third-fourth, fourth-fifth, etc...

3.) Let's talk about clutch technique. Who lifts their leg completely, and who pushes the clutch in, and then just uses their ankle to release? I've found a combination to be nice. I suck at launching (from a stop into first) by letting up the clutch with my entire leg, so I'll roll off the clutch using my ankle. The rest of my shifts are done with the entire leg.

-----------------

Okay, at this point I really want some participation. Tell your stories, give out techniques, and if you have statistics ... lay 'em on us! This is a great opportunity to help the newbies (I'm included in this category) become better motorists.

I am very very interested in shift points. Give us details ... RPM and MPH preferred.

I am also interested in whether 4000-4200 RPM is way too high of a shift point for first-second. And I am doubly interested in whether or not all of you have similar findings, or if you have different experiences.

My hope is that this section gets detailed enough that we can make it into a sticky post?? What is the likelihood of this happening?

Take care! I look forward to reading all of your posts.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 AM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To explain in writing how to drive a manual transmission is not the best way to do it.

In order to get smooth shifts from standstill into first, I would suggest following technique: Assuming you know where the bite point is, move your left foot close to the bite point, blip the throttle a few times as you let go of the clutch to the bite point. Let it stay there for a second or two until the car gains momentum and then release altogether. The revs don't have to be higher than 1200RPM for that.

While shifting into any other gear use this: bring the revs up to whatever speed you want to be traveling (there's really no right or wrong way, it's either fuel efficient, performance or a mix of the two driving styles.) Now, clutch in, immediately slip into other gear, release the clutch quickly but steadily as you add a tiny bit of gas (about 3 millimeters of movement in your ankle) That way if your revs drop too much because you're not fast enough, you will even them out a bit. I will try to make a video on how to do that.