General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell Me About Your...IMPERFECTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell Me About Your...IMPERFECTIONS!

Ok, so upon doing a quick "walk around" of my 2011 Cooper, which was prompted by a less than considerate parker (for lack of a better "forum approved" term), I was enraged to notice that the front part of the black plastic mesh grill that hangs below the license plate bracket was pushed in slightly out of alignment along with some dirt scuff marks, and a nice nick in the painted plastic bottom portion .
This wasn't caused by the inconsiderate parker, yet either by a stone flung vehicle/gargantuan tractor trailer I would have encountered OR the massive, car swallowing, chunk of earth missing (aka, typical New Jersey pothole) right in front of the driveway apron I dipped into while pulling in the bank the other day.
I was able to pull the mesh grill back into alignment (thank God, I almost cried), and the dirt/scuffs came right out BUT the nick is unrepairable unless I want a completely new bumper. This is now in addition to a very small (unnoticeable to the naked eye unless at the right angle with the right lighting, yet kills me to know it's there) crease right above the right side tail light, as well as an overwhelming amount of minor scratches/swirls on the black roof, pillars, and mirror caps, and many more most likely through the rest of the cars body yet invisible given the color.
NOW, I've only had my cooper for 4 months, and every time I notice more imperfections, it kills me. I guess I had unrealistic expectations of keeping a brand new, dream car of mine in perfect condition..especially in New Jersey. SO, help me feel better and post descriptions and/or images about your Coopers imperfections!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
nick49
1st Gear
Wow!

I think your car is fine.

I would suggest counseling to help you deal with the realities of motor vehicle ownership.

First new car?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
My inperfection is that i dont have my car yet.. i need counseling

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nick49
Wow!

I think your car is fine.

I would suggest counseling to help you deal with the realities of motor vehicle ownership.

First new car?
First new car is right-I came from a salvaged Civic, and let me tell you, I knew how to shine a piece of sh*t and make it look good. I'll pass on the counseling though, I'm in college to become a Social Worker, so believe me, I know when people need some serious counseling But I figured I'd start a thread for others to complain about the little imperfections that bug them too.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
Go visit Detailing 101 and pay heed to OctaneGuy's teachings. The swirls are easily dealt with using the proper equipment. Lots of folk look upon small dings & etc. that result from the road as momentos of motoring. Enjoy your ride and remember to wave (a couple of flashes of the headlights works well too).

Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Go visit Detailing 101 and pay heed to OctaneGuy's teachings. The swirls are easily dealt with using the proper equipment. Lots of folk look upon small dings & etc. that result from the road as momentos of motoring. Enjoy your ride and remember to wave (a couple of flashes of the headlights works well too).
Detailing 101 has been a huge help to me so far, as has all of octaneguy's posts-his detailing picts are awesome to look through. I have Phil @Detailers Domain a couple of minutes away from me, so I may pay him a visit come the warmer weather just to clean the car up a bit after the awful winter we've had.
BUT anyone else got a ding/dent/scratch/scrape they just hate? or other specific "motoring mementos" that just bug them?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My passenger side tail light has a crack in the lens, some bad parker bumped me at some point when it was on the street.

I did a rough job on the plasti-dip and it's starting to show.. planning on peeling it all off soon and will vinyl everything eventually.

The little orange ring around my cigarette lighter is totally shattered and gone, and now the socket is glued to the plastic so it won't vibrate at speed.

There is a chip in my windshield I need to have repaired.

There are some rock chips on the bonnet.

One stripe has a 1/8" tear in the pinstriping.

The last owner left some swirls in the paint for me.

Even with all those cuts and bruises, I love the car. It still looks great. Eventually I will fix all of that stuff, but the bottom line is I love to get behind the wheel and drive it hard. I wash it weekly and keep it looking as good as I can, more or less.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
I went to Petsmart in Melbourne, FL 4 months ago.
Parked way out in lot. No car within 80 ft.
Came out of store in less than 10 mins.
Little junkie BASTAR*S stole 2 MINI wheel center caps and pounded front hood in.
Now I know why they have lethel injection.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Vollgas
I went to Petsmart in Melbourne, FL 4 months ago.
Parked way out in lot. No car within 80 ft.
Came out of store in less than 10 mins.
Little junkie BASTAR*S stole 2 MINI wheel center caps and pounded front hood in.
Now I know why they have lethel injection.
NOW that's worth complaining about! On another note, I was down in Melbourne this past summer-nice, quaint little town.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Downtown is quaint.
Anywhere near the Melbourne Mall is Drug City.
Stepson took PT Cruiser down to Melbourne Bch., got hit from behind by a guy yapping on his cellphone. No license, no insurance, no English! Cops let him walk away.
I don't go south of the Pineada Causeway for anything now.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Vollgas
Downtown is quaint.
Anywhere near the Melbourne Mall is Drug City.
Stepson took PT Cruiser down to Melbourne Bch., got hit from behind by a guy yapping on his cellphone. No license, no insurance, no English! Cops let him walk away.
I don't go south of the Pineada Causeway for anything now.
good distinction-the downtown was nice, I hadn't really been to any other part in the down-drove up to that area from Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM
nick49
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
First new car is right-I came from a salvaged Civic, and let me tell you, I knew how to shine a piece of sh*t and make it look good. I'll pass on the counseling though, I'm in college to become a Social Worker, so believe me, I know when people need some serious counseling But I figured I'd start a thread for others to complain about the little imperfections that bug them too.
Enjoy!

I can see where discovering all the little blemishes and battle scars on your first new car might be a little disheartening. Instead look at it like it is starting to develop it's unique personality and patina. Most things get better with age; wine, cheese, hiking boots, friends, clothing, pets, and your car will too.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Gah...can I understand your situation or WUT!

About a week and a half from buying my used 09 MINI there is a truck on the highway spilling chunks of gravel on the road...Nothing much I could do so I slammed the accelerator, pulled onto the shoulder and tried to avoid the spillage. Upon inspection I was pleasantly surprised that the debri hit the clear bra and it absorbed the impact well.

NEXT!

Fast forward to just last Fall I was merging onto the highway and about 3 car lengths up ahead there was a truck pulling a trailer. Well, as I was merging a huge friggin' rock hit my upper right-hand side front window. I was SO mad you don't even know. I can understand if I was following close or something but I was far away from the guy.
I ended up just having the chip repaired by Safelite and I'm waiting for the next "big one" to happen so I have an excuse to replace the window and the A pillars

The thing is...you can't keep a car perfect. Get a clearbra installed and keep the car in as good of condition as possible. There will always be those crazy things that happen to screw up your day and ding your car.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:06 PM
ufomini
4th Gear
My glove box latch is broke. They want $300 to replace it. I rigged a bungee cord inside of it to keep it shut.

I have a small crack in my front lower parking light lens.

The back of my front leather seats have scratches.

Now, I have a blemish on my license for speeding!!!