General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was in an accident, NEED help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
nickydicky13
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was in an accident, NEED help

yesterday was NOT a good day!
i was driving my usually route home on a road i knew very well theres a few sharper turns on this roads but i know each like the back of my hand.

i come up to the third turn and start going around it all of a sudden the front end slips out then the back, i powered out of it but rite as i recovered the back end completely slipped out with no chance of recovery and smashed HARD into a high cobble stone curb and set the right side curtain and seat airbags off. it was a terrifying experience all the smoke and loud noise, i could hardly hear anything!

after i realized what had happened i was obviously furious and so upset. i had just got the car back not even 2 weeks ago for a new clutch.

i get out go look at what happened, it turns out there was a strip of black ice on the road. the car infront of me actually took the turn on the otherside of the double yellow, i wasn't about to take that chance, its a very blind corner and if anybody comes around the other side you are dead!

anyways. called the cops and a report was filed.

so heres the damage...

right rear is bent inward a little. not horrible but not good. the car is dirveable and feels and handles fine. hopefully its not something too serious. the right curtain airbags are all blown. ive seen some people selling them cheap but no right side ones. only lefts. can a left side go on the right side? also the airbag in the seat, do i have to buy a whole new seat if i want that fixed? can i run the car with out airbags on that side? is it possible to bypass that code for now?
ill need either a new 16inch 5spoke or a new set of 17inch tires for my 17inch set thats just sitting.

i called my local MINI dealer. they said about 650 just for labor!?!?!? i mean how hard is it to pull a headliner out? would mini have to set the airbags? i have a very good trusted mechanic who says he can do it way cheaper.

what kind of prices should i be looking for with the airbag install and redo of the right side headliner?

im beyond upset and mad just dropped 800 for a new clutch and now ill be emptying my bank account for this no doubt.

any help or info is greatly appreciated
thanks
nick

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Achilless
4th Gear
Keep searching and sombody on here will be able to help you out
All i can say is im glad your okay! be upset about the car but also remember it could have been worse

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you not have insurance?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
To get the headliner out, all of the interior pillar trims need to be removed, and most of these would be damaged in the process. The clips and tabs for the pillar trim are essentially one time use. This could be why the dealer quoted so much for that.

If your mechanic has the BMW computer diagnostic and reset tools (different than a OBD II code reader) then he could very well do the work.

Without installing new airbags, you could fool the system by putting resistors of unknown value to simulate the load. However, I do not think that the insurance company would take kindly to any future injury claims if any of your airbags have been removed.

It was my understanding that if the airbag light was lit, that no more of the airbags would deploy, even if none have ever deployed.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad you are uninjured.

Time to call the insurance company. I'm sure they will insist that the airbags are replaced. That is the right thing to do after all. I'm also thinking you are going to find bent suspension pieces in the rear. If you popped the air bags it was a hard hit.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
nickydicky13
3rd Gear
well i got the car up on a lift today. the damage is not as bad as i thought. upper and lower control arms bent pretty bad and ill need to replace the curtain bags. will i have to buy a new seat if i want the bag in the seat to work again? does anybody know if you can purchase a left side drive curtain and use it ont he right side? i keep seeing left sides for sale but no rights?

i could always not put in bags and just have the car sewn up . but thats rather risky. i guess its time to paint the 5spokes black to hide that curb rash

Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
nickydicky13
3rd Gear
i do have insurance! but in the longrun its gonna cost way less for me to get it fixed privately. my father works for NAPA and gets huge deals through there. plus instead of waiting say 2 weeks for my car this guy will have it done in 2 days on his own time.

also does anybody know... to take the rear control arms out do you have to take out the gas tank and exhaust? theres a long bolt there that i cant see coming out with the gas tank in the way

Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
nickydicky13
3rd Gear
and yes i believe he does have the bmw computer machine, i see all types of BMWs role through his garage.

and also about the air bag light.... im thinking half of it is phony. my light has been on for over 3 months now. and the airbag WAS deployed..

i think the light on means one of the airbags wont work not all of them

Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickydicky13
i do have insurance! but in the longrun its gonna cost way less for me to get it fixed privately. my father works for NAPA and gets huge deals through there. plus instead of waiting say 2 weeks for my car this guy will have it done in 2 days on his own time.

also does anybody know... to take the rear control arms out do you have to take out the gas tank and exhaust? theres a long bolt there that i cant see coming out with the gas tank in the way
Most insurance companies offer lifetime guarantee on repairs done at an approved shop. (Example: Nationwide has "Blue Ribbon Shops" and all repairs are warrantied for as long as you own the MINI.)

Let's say the repairs total $2000.00 and your deductible is $500.

You'd be better off paying the deductible and letting the insurance pay for the remaining cost...ESPECIALLY if your coverage has "accident forgiveness" or "fender bender protection" and you haven't had an accident in the past three years.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
nickydicky13
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SNEEEZY - Erika
Most insurance companies offer lifetime guarantee on repairs done at an approved shop. (Example: Nationwide has "Blue Ribbon Shops" and all repairs are warrantied for as long as you own the MINI.)

Let's say the repairs total $2000.00 and your deductible is $500.

You'd be better off paying the deductible and letting the insurance pay for the remaining cost...ESPECIALLY if your coverage has "accident forgiveness" or "fender bender protection" and you haven't had an accident in the past three years.
in this case insurance isnt worth it at all! $1000 deductible plus im a fairly new driver. i got a great deal on control arms and the total cost for the whole rear end of the car will come out to be around 350bucks. and the airbags maybe another 400.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I've got some good head airbags that are not blown you could get a great deal on. We've got 3 MINI's I've parted out. Also have suspension parts if you need them too. Just give me a call.

WAY

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
nickydicky13
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've got some good head airbags that are not blown you could get a great deal on. We've got 3 MINI's I've parted out. Also have suspension parts if you need them too. Just give me a call.

WAY
when would be the best time to call? could i also shoot an email over?