General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Disappearing at Dealership, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Problem Disappearing at Dealership, Part 2

I'm sure others have had this happen. You have a nagging issue with your car, but it behaves great for your MINI Tech. I have had intermittent issues shifting into 1st gear. The shifter just will not want to move up. Shifting into 3rd and then back into 1st will make it shift smooth, generally.

MINI Victoria had my car once for a full day and could not replicate the issue after many attempts. I left it for two full days while I enjoyed their Clubman S loaner and went in yesterday to see how they made out. My Service Advisor told me that after about "4,000 test drives" they could still not duplicate the issue. Of course! It's like the singing frog from the old cartoon. She suggested I take the tech out for a spin and hopefully I could show him what was happening. She assured me that in any case, it would be taken care of even if it had to be done out of warranty as a good will gesture. My warranty expires on Dec. 22.

Although it was behaving quite well for me and would not "stick," I was able to point out a few shifts where it required a little more push than it should and gave some resistance.

He tried himself and said that although it was very slight, he felt what I was talking about and agreed it should be fixed. He's not sure what it is, but said that although MINI says the transmission fluid is good for a lifetime, he disagrees and thinks it should be drained and checked for any filings or debris. I booked a service appointment on the last day of my warranty, so hopefully it will be fixed without my SA having to pull any strings.. I may need that Good Will Repair for something else down the road!

Although it has been a bit frustrating trying to get the issue to appear, I feel like MINI Victoria has been really taking great care of me and working hard to make my ownership a positive experience, even though I bought it elsewhere.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 PM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd ask for the 'good will' offer in writing.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I've considered doing that, although I don't want to be pushy about it just yet since I purchased the car elsewhere. If this service doesn't sort out the issue I may ask for that.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the upcoming service doesn't resolve the issue, I highly recommend getting the "Good Will" repair in writing.

Verbal doesn't count for anything these days...ESPECIALLY at a dealership.