General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is Mini thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 AM
R53-BRG
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck is Mini thinking?

The Countryman was one thing. But I just got an email from Atlantic British telling me about the Mini Minor?!
---------------------------------------
After the larger-scale Countryman and possibly Beachcomber, could MINI be going “city-scale” with a 3-cylinder alternative to the Smart Car?

The new MINI Minor, as rumor has it, would actually have a footprint not unlike the original MINI Cooper, and would use traditional technology (not say, like carbon fiber bodywork).
Talk about line extension! This thing would have one of BMW’s new 3-cylinder engines, which the company is hoping to produce en masse to promote economies of scale, and a city-friendly attitude to attract car buyers away from the Smart Fortwo and Toyota iQ avenue runners.
The MINI Minor, eh? Stay tuned…

------------------------------
In my opinion, Mini should sell Minis. Not ugly cars with a MINI logo. Degradation of brand appeal at it's best.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Sorry, but I really like the 2 door version of the concept. MINI needs this entry to compete with the Fiat 500. This market is certainly far more "MINI appropriate" than the Countryman and Beachcomber.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Oh... emm.... eff.... gee... that is completely horrifying. It looks even worse than that Chinese Lifan ripoff of the MINI.

My eyes are burning. Make it stop!

Maybe this is a MINI ploy to make ppl LIKE the Countryman more? Show them something that will make them barf then ask them again if they like the Countryman?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
R53-BRG
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
Sorry, but I really like the 2 door version of the concept. MINI needs this entry to compete with the Fiat 500. This market is certainly far more "MINI appropriate" than the Countryman and Beachcomber.

Never said I liked those either. To be honest, I can't even stand the Clubman. Sorry Clubbie owners. Mini Should be Mini, not SUV, Stationwagon, or even Geo Metro-Esque. The "looks to be" high center of gravity will be interesting when a Countryman drives past it and flips it over.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that they may need--or, at least, could use--such vehicles, I disagree that they should make them so ugly-looking. Ppl still want to take pride in their investments--even at this lowest price-point. Even in today's "sophisticated" market, ppl still don't want to be seen in an ugly car, much less pay their hard-earned (hard-borrowed) money for one. [Recall the failure that was the Edsel, or more recently, the Pontiac Aztec.]

PS: These don't even look like MINIs!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
R53-BRG
3rd Gear
Awww, I love the Edsel!

More horrible is the fact that it was named after his nephew. Edsel Ford. Makes a worse name for a kid than a car!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Minis should look like Minis, eh?

In the original classic Mini line so beloved by all you had Travelers, (Clubman) Moke, (Beachcomber) Pickup trucks for god's sake, (not yet) and many more, including the square nosed coupes called Clubmans!

How are they straying from their roots by building the current offerings?

I like what they are doing, although someone on another board suggested they name the new city cars "Isetta's", and since they have a similar look to the 50's and 60's cars of that name (also built by BMW) I agree with that. That would be a simple way to distinguish the MINI line from the city car line and give MINI dealers a wider range of competetive products to sell under the same roof without diluting the MINI brand.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
None of you follow MotoringFile? It's probably where Atlantic British picked up the story.
http://www.motoringfile.com/

Personally, I'm all for MINI coming out with this car.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are disgusting looking

Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
friday9x
2nd Gear
someone delete those photos! my eyes are burning!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
These are concepts from the late 90s that I think are getting resurected for a new hybrid model.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3 cylinder motor will be part of the 3rd gen car. word is this much lighter motor will produce more HP and torque, and be more fuel efficient, than the current Prince engine

And for those of you that think MINI should stay in its original, 3-door hatchback coupe form, well you better brush up on your Mini history. I believe that from 1959 to 2000 there were more than 300 variants on the original car.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
Everyone just say no!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, those pictures are rather old (like someone said, from the 90s..) so they're probably really outdated looks-wise. I would be curious to see what they'd be doing with this idea. The four-door looks kinda silly, but with some body and appearance changes to the 2 door, it might be pretty cool looking.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Good idea about calling it "Issetta", even if it's sold by MINI, as the "MINI Issetta", lets say... I think that would make the car more...palateable as a MINI.

PS: If you had the 4-door one, and could make yourself look just like George Jetson driving it, you'd be all set!!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
That thing scares me less than the Crossdresser SAV.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
These are concepts from the late 90s that I think are getting resurected for a new hybrid model.
They're definitely old photos. You can tell just by looking at the photo quality.

Whatever they make, in sure it will look alot cooler than that.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
SteveB625
4th Gear
There are a LOT of small (tiny) cars in Europe. What might look out of place in the US against SUVs, pick up trucks, and 4 door sedans look commonplace across the pond. The concepts really don't look unusual for a city car.
JMO.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?r50storyf.htm

Alright everyone scroll about halfway down this page. And don't get your panties in a bunch.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
With some fancy paint those could pass for 4 wheeled Easter eggs.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Minis should look like Minis, eh?

In the original classic Mini line so beloved by all you had Travelers, (Clubman) Moke, (Beachcomber) Pickup trucks for god's sake, (not yet) and many more, including the square nosed coupes called Clubmans!

How are they straying from their roots by building the current offerings?

I like what they are doing, although someone on another board suggested they name the new city cars "Isetta's", and since they have a similar look to the 50's and 60's cars of that name (also built by BMW) I agree with that. That would be a simple way to distinguish the MINI line from the city car line and give MINI dealers a wider range of competetive products to sell under the same roof without diluting the MINI brand.
I couldn't have said it better. Some of you all need to go and read up on the history behind the car you love. MINI is not all about "look at me in my flashy car", it's also about heritage. And with that heritage comes quirky models. You should either accept it or move on.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Why is everyone freaking out about these they were original concepts for the r50

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by R53-BRG
Never said I liked those either. To be honest, I can't even stand the Clubman. Sorry Clubbie owners. Mini Should be Mini, not SUV, Stationwagon, or even Geo Metro-Esque. The "looks to be" high center of gravity will be interesting when a Countryman drives past it and flips it over.
So you're suggesting that MINI build one and only one model, the Cooper? Sorry, not trying to start a brawl here, but as long as they're introducing new models in addition to the Cooper, nobody's holding a gun to your head to buy them.

BMW is doing exactly what any healthy, smart-thinking company should be doing -- looking to expand its presence in the market. Can't do that by continuing to play to one tiny segment. It's far better to be the first to market with new ideas that will appeal to a broader audience while keeping true to the spirit of the brand -- and that even includes this latest duck egg on wheels -- before somebody else beats them to it.

And by the way, we just picked up a new Clubbie S for the wife, and it's a damn neat little ride in its own right. You don't have to like it, but she's pretty happy they decided to build it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?r50storyf.htm

Alright everyone scroll about halfway down this page. And don't get your panties in a bunch.
I learned a lot from that article. As long as it was, I found every word of it fascinating. I didn't realize just how global my little global MINI really is!

Let's see, ...it was concieved and partly developed by Rover in England, styled by an American BMW employee, packaged by a British engineer, originally developed to use a small-displacement Japanese (Kei) engine...then a BMW motorcycle engine, finally ending up with a German-developed engine of American origin (Chrysler) which itself was built in Brazil, originally using a British Midlands transmission and Rover-derived steering. At times the development was done entirely by BMW in Germany, then abandoned by them and taken over in England, only to be re-taken over in the end by BMW for final development! The car was first shown in Paris France, sitting on an Italian Fiat Punto chassis. The car is built in Oxford England, and now the second gen version's "Prince" engine is of French Peugot origin.

Did I leave anyone out?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Nope. I really just don't see why everyone is getting all uppity about it. Motoringfile probably posted those pictures to just give a representation of how big a super econo box would be in size.

Quick Reply: What the heck is Mini thinking?