General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $39 Ebay car Cover with photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:26 PM
crvols
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My $39 Ebay car Cover with photos

I was looking for a cover to protect my new MC Auto in the garage from dust and my grandkids playing. I searched the threads for info. and kept seeing $200+ OEM covers that seemed pricy for my needs but, could not find much discussion of the under $75 covers I was seeing on EBay. After much searching I decided to go with sandler_trust_wholesale who sells a cover described as “Regular Retail $299” and “Superior All Weather Protection”. I did not believe this but, was encouraged by thousands of positive comments and only a few neutral or negative so I ordered it for $39.99 and $13.99 shipping & handling. Upon ordering I found they offered me a $5 rebate if I leave positive feedback which explains a lot of the comments! It arrived FedEx from Anaheim, Ca in 5 working days and I have attached two pictures of it on my car. My thoughts:
1.It is made of a thin, light fabric that is more stiff than soft and is shiny plastic coated on one side and a little softer on the other. It does not seem to be porous at all.
2.As you can see from the photo the fit is just O.K. To be fair you cannot expect anything like a fitted cover at this price point but, with the Mini being basically a box, the cover is serviceable. I have the mirrors folded in as the cover has no pockets for them. The cover has two seams down the side that basically follow the lines of the car.
3. I used a supplied grommet to cover the stub antenna but, you might want to take it off as it would compromise any weather protection.
In summary I think I got what I expected; nothing more, nothing less. It should work for me if I am careful putting it on and taking it off. But, if you are thinking of daily outdoor storage I would look elsewhere as I believe this is too light for wind, snow, ice, etc. Hopefully others will share experiences with cheap covers as info. for the future.

Attached Thumbnails My  Ebay car Cover with photos-p4160011.jpg   My  Ebay car Cover with photos-p4160012.jpg  

Last edited by crvols; 04-16-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hate to tell you, but with a cheapy car cover you are probably doing more harm then good. Every time you put it on or take it off you are scratching up your paint little by little.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM
crvols
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Hate to tell you, but with a cheapy car cover you are probably doing more harm then good. Every time you put it on or take it off you are scratching up your paint little by little.
Can't argue with you but, as I noted, it is softer on the inside and I figure with clearcoat paint it can't be much worse than bugs or other debris It deals with every day.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the cheap car covers are designed to keep dirt and dust off the car. They aren't made for wet weather. It will definitely benefit from not getting a lot of dust and dirt on it.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 AM
vodka
3rd Gear
Also becareful as dont cover your car right after a long/hard drive as the car/bonnet will be very hot... it might melt the cover?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:46 AM
crvols
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vodka
Also becareful as dont cover your car right after a long/hard drive as the car/bonnet will be very hot... it might melt the cover?
Good Point, although it looks plastic covered, I don't think it is. I might try a little heat on an out-of-the-way section to see what happens.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
Hey there Crvols
It's been over a year!
How's the cover doing?