General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Boverphoto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno tested my '09 MCS this AM before starting engine mods. 164 whp. Need plugs and "walnuts" at 35,000 miles. Doing tune, Madness/Wagner FMIC, DDM 3" catback exhaust, air filter upgrade to stock intake for now (leaning towards Madness Ram Air) all next week.
Did springs, Konis, Poly motor bushings, Madness 22mm rear sway bar last week, done 2 hrs before Track Night! Fun!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:33 AM
TWard
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Looking awesome did you joey mod the taillights yourself?
Yes i did, it was really ez. I used some alcohol swabs to clean the chrome off and that was almost no effort. I just cut along the line, popped it open, wiped off the chrome, cleaned it up, and epoxied it back together. If i were to do it again id use a slower epoxy than the 5 min. I ended up getting a bit rushed at the end.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM
TWard
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rrotz
What grill and scoop do you have? I need to decide on an aftermarket JCW style grille and get that done, the chrome is bugging me!
It is just the aero grill and a stock scoop that i plastidiped. I plan on getting a voltage scoop in the future but for the summer I need to save for track days

Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TWard
Yes i did, it was really ez. I used some alcohol swabs to clean the chrome off and that was almost no effort. I just cut along the line, popped it open, wiped off the chrome, cleaned it up, and epoxied it back together. If i were to do it again id use a slower epoxy than the 5 min. I ended up getting a bit rushed at the end.
I have all of the stuff to do it I am just nervous I will cut in the wrong spot or something. What did you use to cut or split it open?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM
TWard
1st Gear
when you pop out the taillight out "theres 1 nut holding it in" you will see a line that goes around the edge of the lens. I cut it there w/ a small cutting wheel on my digrinder. There is plenty of space on the inside to be sloppy with your depth, not to worry sir.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
when you pop out the taillight out "theres 1 nut holding it in" you will see a line that goes around the edge of the lens. I cut it there w/ a small cutting wheel on my digrinder. There is plenty of space on the inside to be sloppy with your depth, not to worry sir.
Ok thanks! Ill look into it soon. Also think I might need to pickup a grinder or something since all I have is a drill.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 AM
TWard
1st Gear
Ok thanks! Ill look into it soon. Also think I might need to pickup a grinder or something since all I have is a drill.
When there is an excuse to buy more tool there is a smile on my face! When I run out of excuses I'll find a reason.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
When there is an excuse to buy more tool there is a smile on my face! When I run out of excuses I'll find a reason.
HAHA Always a good reason for more tools!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,985 Likes on 1,782 Posts
HAHA Always a good reason for more tools!
+1 You can never have enough

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Not today, actually a couple of days ago...

This also counts as "my Mini", right?

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_8820.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_8821.jpg  
Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice I have the Lego Mini also.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by MarkUSAF
Just installed my new NM Engineering exhaust.

#NM #ECS

Looks good, how do you like the tone.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:54 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Finished most of the NCS Expert changes for now:
-Disabled city lights, license plate, reverse and rear fog bulb out checks (replacing with LEDs soon that do not have CANBUS or ).
-Disabled automatic A/C engagement.
-Enabled one-touch sunroof open (one-touch close is not working for me...)
-Removed Canadian region from Vehicle Order (to get DRL settings)... enabled city lights for DRL instead of xenons.
-Enabled comfort close windows/sunroon w/ keyfob.
-Disabled stop of window wind down when door opened.
-Double hazzard light flashes.

Couple things I noticed today - will have to ask the dealership while the warranty is still active:
-Intermittent squealing noise from passenger side (I think water pump). YouTube link. Not super loud but annoying.
-Possible valve cover leak. The engine was filthy this spring. Now it is filthy with oil seeping near front of engine block.
had same issue with my 2012, they replaced valve cover..

Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Ive's Mini
Had a strut blow out a couple of weeks ago before I went on vacation. Planned on ordering a set before I came back so they would be waiting for me when I got home. Checked my email a few days before vacation was over and ECS sent me one of those wonderful emails with Koni FSD struts on sale. Ordered a set for my 08 Cooper. They were sitting in front of my garage when I got home at 11pm last night. Woke up this morning and installed them. WHAT A TRANSFORMATION!!!! I keep cringing when I see a bump I used to hit, and now there is no more drama. The car is smoooth and solid. Not a single jarring bump to be found. Even the big ones! I picked up 5 mm wheel spacers a couple of weeks ago and I installed them as well. The car feels great. Better than it has ever felt!

Awesome, glad they made it. Thanks for the order.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A couple days ago I installed the lower engine poly mount inserts.... man what a difference it made.. For the cost and install time of the poly inserts definitely a must. A little more NVH at idle but you get used to it quick.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:04 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K, so it was yesterday, and my mechanic did it (I ***HATE*** hydraulic fluid), but got a new clutch slave cylinder installed, and it's made of *METAL* not plastic! Just in time, too, as mine was starting to leak....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 07-11-2015, 07:10 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Boverphoto
1st Gear
Carbon Cleaning, walnut shells and picks

'09 R56 was missing and backfiring a little, especially after Track Night at 95 degrees last week. 35,000 miles, I bought it last year w/ 28,000. Carbon cleaning at Madness Motorworks, Portland. Roberto sent me these before/after pix. Runs great!

I've ordered their Oil Catch can, anything else to prevent this?

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-1.jpeg   What did you do to your mini today?-image.jpeg  
Old 07-12-2015, 05:04 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Plasti dipped my mirror caps red

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-352912082.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 06:12 PM
TWard
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Boverphoto
'09 R56 was missing and backfiring a little, especially after Track Night at 95 degrees last week. 35,000 miles, I bought it last year w/ 28,000. Carbon cleaning at Madness Motorworks, Portland. Roberto sent me these before/after pix. Runs great!

I've ordered their Oil Catch can, anything else to prevent this?
Oh man! I wonder what mine look like after 102k?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
After almost a month in Colorado Springs my MINI Barnaby finally has returned to his home in Kansas 7.5 hours later. For all of you that had commented or helped me out with the overheating issue thanks.

I am so confused/happy. The BMW shop that I dropped my car off at when it overheated at said there is no way the engine block didn't warp or I didn't blow a head gasket but its a miracle. After lots of prayers my mini is fine and it only cost me 300 bucks WOW! After thinking back to the incident that actually cause the overheating I confirmed that I drove with the car overheating for over 2 hours. Compression test, test drive, and code running all showed the car to be fine! I drove it home today and IT IS BETTER THAN EVER! I got 34MPG on the way home all the way. Thats the most I have ever got since I owned it. Someone was looking out for me!

I also hit 130k as I was driving home. TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY!

Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Duke Broadway
1st Gear
Not today, but the last 2 days I put IE fixed camber plate, stagg shs shocks and struts and new lemforder shock mounts on the mini.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:06 AM
oeklm
2nd Gear
After almost a month in Colorado Springs my MINI Barnaby finally has returned to his home in Kansas 7.5 hours later. For all of you that had commented or helped me out with the overheating issue thanks.

I am so confused/happy. The BMW shop that I dropped my car off at when it overheated at said there is no way the engine block didn't warp or I didn't blow a head gasket but its a miracle. After lots of prayers my mini is fine and it only cost me 300 bucks WOW! After thinking back to the incident that actually cause the overheating I confirmed that I drove with the car overheating for over 2 hours. Compression test, test drive, and code running all showed the car to be fine! I drove it home today and IT IS BETTER THAN EVER! I got 34MPG on the way home all the way. Thats the most I have ever got since I owned it. Someone was looking out for me!

My R56 got the red warning light when my water pump started leaking. Hit almost 250 degrees. Luckily no warping or headgasket issues either.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:17 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear

Of course your mileage went up. Down hill all the way! LOL ;>)

Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Rayanmx
2nd Gear

Yeah, these minis are tough and really take a beating... But one question, did you drove with the water temperature needle all the way up???

I'm asking you because we all know that the needle is not really accurate after reaching operating temperature and by the time the car starts to overheat, the needle could very well sit still for a good while after starting to rise.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?