General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Atlanta, great memories every time I drive through there!

That one section of I-75 through central Atlanta is, what, 7-8 lanes each direction? Amazing.

One favorite: on the way home to STL from Orlando, mid-day, I'm piloting the family vacation-mobile through that central section. Flowing nicely with traffic, maintaining pace, in the far left lane with a dozen others. We're "flowing" at four-score + 10, making good time, but that didn't stop the guy behind me from giving me the "flash-to-pass" signal. Seriously?

So yes, they do indeed "motor" rapidly around there, and I recall thinking that day that you'd have to do something pretty remarkable to deserve a roadside chat and payment coupon.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
minipuck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trwxxa
You have to be going near orbital escape velocity to get the attention of the local constabulary in the Atlanta area.
Found out the hard way that passing a pesky "55"-er is not without its potential hazards.

I guess there was a reason they were going that slow.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Oops!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miffy
Mega happy and what is more they cost me nothing at all as dealers had messed up on something else so got four brand new wheels and four brand new tyres.... RESULT....
can't beat that deal they look nice on there, what a difference in hbow they fill the wheel well.

Today I got my official registration sticker for the car so I replaced the temp sticker with the official one yea I know not that exciting but it's something. I also received my Dice cradle for the ipod adapter I got last week (yet to install), and yesterday got my Redlinegoods shift and e-brake boots (still waiting on my custom shift **** from elsewhere), and earlier in the week I got my Alta intake which is also sitting in the garage still... I can't wait to find time to install these things

Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xstart - sounds like some fun little goodies. I can’t wait to see that intake.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
K, so it was last Saturday, but I got and installed my new vanity tag.
I retired AGENT86, and went with something new....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Got to use my new PIAA wipers in the rain for the first time. Great wiper!! I was hesitant to get a whole new wiper arm since I wouldn't have the original *wind spoiler* or whatever that thing was on the driver's side.

Turns out I worried for nothing. I didn't notice any difference.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
fhdogs
2nd Gear
I got a letter in the mail from the DMV that I should be getting the new plates I requested within a month or two!!!

Not very exciting I know, but it's all I've got. I really should just unsubscribe from this topic.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fhdogs
I got a letter in the mail from the DMV that I should be getting the new plates I requested within a month or two!!!

Not very exciting I know, but it's all I've got. I really should just unsubscribe from this topic.
Now, now, it's all relative. Are they vanity plates?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 AM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fhdogs

Nonsense. Showing the love in little ways or big, it's all good.

btw, I got vanity plates for Hobbes last week (and it took a couple months!), which is a perfectly acceptible thing to do for your Mini IMO

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
fhdogs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Now, now, it's all relative. Are they vanity plates?
Story short... No they are low numbers (fingers crossed for a good number)

Long story... I've wanted vanity plates, but wanted a theme for multiple vehicles. My ideas were always things like. Gulp (MINI), DblGulp (Subaru), BigGulp (Truck), but I was always worried that if I sent in the app they'd end up using different themes for each car since you need to submit four choices.

I opted to attempt to get low number plates since the same number can be used on multiple vehicles in the same house, and thats what I've been approved on. I really want 13 so everyone keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll probably get something random like 9154.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 AM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
Ok, I went to the shop today to install my new Falken 225 50 16 on the rear and move the 215 50 16 to the front with stock 16 inch rims. Thank goodness no rubbing. I must say it looks great! Just a side note, Mr. Tire is a great shop!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Show us some pictures.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Show us some pictures.
Here are some pictures. Sorry I dont have a great camera.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-dscn3256.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-dscn3258.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-dscn3262.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM
white3
4th Gear
I just swapped out my regular S scuttles for JCW scuttles!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_0007.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_0011.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Highsiderider (good pics., like it alot). Did you paint your brake calipers? I'm going to as soon as it warms up abit more.

white3 (looks good and easy to change aren't they).

Haven't done anything today but if you want to call it doing something for my car. Wednesday I ordered a bunch of goodies (and that should be it). Forge step intercooler, h-sport rear camber links, nm torque arm mount insert, nm discharge pipe, and some Megan Racing coilovers.
Will have to submit before and after pictures when it's lowered abit.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
FAMILYMANR53
2nd Gear
Well, not today but last night i replaced my front, lower control arm ball joint for my inspection. Wow what a pain to replace. Not much room to work and the one right bolt is about 2" below the CV joint......bolt is about 3" long....got the bolt loose and had to have one person pull up on the rotor while another person had to wiggle the bolt out!

Not fun at all...but save some money in labor costs.....found best price at Turner Motorsports...about $27 plus shipping. I will going today after work to get my inspection sticker....

Messing with my front suspension last night caused my steering to be out of wack which in turn caused my TPMS and DSC light to turn on this morning going to work. From what i have read it looks like an allignment is in my immediate future to fix the light problems.

All worth it everytime i drive my car!!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
Haven't done anything today but if you want to call it doing something for my car. Wednesday I ordered a bunch of goodies (and that should be it). Forge step intercooler, h-sport rear camber links, nm torque arm mount insert, nm discharge pipe, and some Megan Racing coilovers.
I went shopping today as well and got some similar parts...

Megan coilover and rear adjustable camber links, Mini Mania steel skid plate, 2 sets of 5mm spacers and extended ball seat bolts (what a pita those were to find, I'm used to VW extended bolts that are everywhere in every length/seat/color, the Mini ones aren't as common I suppose, had to settle for a chrome set since that's all I could find), I also ordered an oil filter and drain plug to round it off. Was debating ordering a pulley kit with new plugs, wires, and coil pack but decided to wait til after the suspension is all installed and dialed in before I play with that (also waiting til I sell a set of R90's I've had lying around).

There will be plenty of before/after pics

Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Zuman
2nd Gear
Didn't do anything TO my Mini today, but I ordered this from Griot's Garage FOR it (any experiences?):

Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
Highsiderider (good pics., like it alot). Did you paint your brake calipers? I'm going to as soon as it warms up abit more.

Thanks. Yes, I hand painted the calipers. It was suprisingly easy. Less prep time than spraying and no over spray. I actually painted just the visible parts of the calipers.

It looks like you have lots of mods. I wish I was retired so I can do the same. Besides, my car is still under warranty, I don't want to mess with it yet until warranty runs out. Would love to see before and after pics of your car though.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
I got Nudnik the Red Stuff brake pak from Way, with ATE "orbital slot" rotors subbed for the Zimmermanns.

They should be here midweek-ish....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by highsiderider
Ok, I went to the shop today to install my new Falken 225 50 16 on the rear and move the 215 50 16 to the front with stock 16 inch rims.
Can I ask why you put the wider tires on the rear instead of the front? It would seem to make more sense to have better grip on the wheels that do the most work--the front wheels in our cars.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by highsiderider
Thanks. Yes, I hand painted the calipers. It was suprisingly easy. Less prep time than spraying and no over spray. I actually painted just the visible parts of the calipers.
Hmmm.... I should pick up some stove black paint and do mine when I swap in the new pads/rotors....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
white3
4th Gear
Zuman,

Griots products are great- Ive been using them for years and have been very happy with their stuff. I havent bought a orbital polisher yet, but its in my future im sure.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Can I ask why you put the wider tires on the rear instead of the front? It would seem to make more sense to have better grip on the wheels that do the most work--the front wheels in our cars.

No sweat.... More for looks than anything. It would look odd if I had tires that were fatter in the front than in the rear. Plus the 225 would not fit in the front with stock wheel offset. I don't race at all, just an occasional acceleration to the main highway. Thanks for asking.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?