General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone assaulted my rear end

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Someone assaulted my rear end

I drove my car to school (right now), coming from work (parking in street) and just noticed as I was getting my backpack from the trunk, my rear bumper was crazy scratched. I got this 5 inch scratch down to the primer/plastic, and several mini scratches also down to the primer/plastic. The paint is like flaking off around the scratch. One heavy dent like someone unsuccesfully tried to hit a nail into the bumper. Then there's 2 red paint smudges on top of the bumper. I need to check for other damages when I get home. I'll post pics when I get home.

I'm so right now, I can't even sit still in class. Where should I go from here? I have a feeling I have a pay a deductable for this one... Unless the damage isn't too great. Can't afford this $%@# right now...

Edit: E-mailed pictures to myself...

Last edited by MrCooperS; 03-16-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't call that "scratches". Looks like the paint is peeling because they tried to puncture it several times with a sharp object.

Test question, see who can answer it first: What is the amount I've often recommended for your Comp Deductible ?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:21 PM
MrCooperS
0 for comp deductible. Yeah, I know what you recommend, but the insurance isn't my call. My insurance is linked with my parents and my brothers car. Can't always have it my way...

Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
[quote=CR&PW&JB;2702120]Looks like the paint is peeling because they tried to puncture it several times with a sharp object.

I bet those 'puncture marks' coincide with the license plate bolts of the offending vehicle.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
0 for comp deductible. Yeah, I know what you recommend, but the insurance isn't my call. My insurance is linked with my parents and my brothers car. Can't always have it my way...
Actually, no, I would not recommend a $0 deductible. The benefit/cost ratio is not in your favor. You're basically telling the insurance company you will not share even one penny of the expense of your claims. That makes you more of a risk to have such claims because there is no financial deterrent for you. You pay for that situation... more than is wise.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by J A Blazer
Looks like the paint is peeling because they tried to puncture it several times with a sharp object.

I bet those 'puncture marks' coincide with the license plate bolts of the offending vehicle.
They very well could be. And the red could be paint transfer from the offending vehicle. Not sure how to explain the puncture marks on the flat surface of the bumper... but if we knew what make/model the vehicle was, it would make sense.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
MrCooperS
Hmm now that you mention it..looks like the 2 license plate bolts hit the 2 larger parts, and the red may be paint left from the license plate numbers/letters. Mass. License plate consists of red painted plats/numbers.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Ding, ding, ding !

When's the last time you took a good look at your rear bumper you noticed this damage ? In that time, was your car parked somewhere with the boot exposed and in a place you could have been struck while parked ?

Last edited by CR&PW&JB; 03-16-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I bet somebody wasnt paying attention and backed into you in the parking lot. If you flex the plastic bumper enough I bet you can make the paint flake like that. Not to mention if somebody really wanted to damage your car the probably would have gone for somewhere more conspicuous.

Edit: Blast beaten by 3 minutes.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my insurance they would say that would fall under collision. I got hit in a parking lot one time and it was not a comprehensive claim. They told me that since two cars hit, it is a collision and I had to pay a deductible. 4 yeara ago I got rear ended at a light. It was not my fault. I had to pay my 500 deductible because the driver of the other car was not on the insurance of the car.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is $100, but it is just a guess.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Ding, ding, ding !

When's the last time you took a good look at your rear bumper you noticed this damage ? In that time, was your car parked somewhere with the boot exposed and in a place you could have been struck while parked ?
When I got to the car this morning, to put in my back pack in the boot. Nothing. When I went to school to get out my back pack out of the boot. Nothing. Went back to the car to drive to work and drop off my back pack in the boot. Nothing. Went into the car, drove to school, parked, pulled my back pack out of the boot. That's when I noticed it. So I'm guessing it's between the time I was working. And yes, it's parallel parked in public streets so it's most likely struck while parked. Don't remember the car behind me though.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 2008 Cooper S
On my insurance they would say that would fall under collision. I got hit in a parking lot one time and it was not a comprehensive claim. They told me that since two cars hit, it is a collision and I had to pay a deductible. 4 yeara ago I got rear ended at a light. It was not my fault. I had to pay my 500 deductible because the driver of the other car was not on the insurance of the car.
Correct.

If it was vandalism, as first appeared, Comp claim.

If the adjuster looks at it and feels it was caused by another vehicle, Collision claim.

Here's the bad news for the OP: If it is a Collision claim and the vehicle is unidentified, they will extend Uninsured Motorist coverage to you. The bad news is, in most States the UM deductible is around $200 or $250. Probably higher than your Comp Deductible. So you may have been better off if this WAS vandalism.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
So, what was the answer? $250?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
So, what was the answer? $250?
$100.

I sure don't want to pay $250 for someone vandalizing my car. Or of it's in a hail storm. Or if someone steals it. Or if I take a rock on the bonnet. Or if I hit a deer. Or if my windshield gets cracked. Or.... you get the point. There are a LOT of claims that fall under Comp coverage and none of them are under YOUR control.

And the difference in premium with a $250 deductible versus a $100 deductible is very nominal. Get a couple quotes and find out.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Cool. Nice to know my first guess was right and I actually got something right today!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
MrCooperS
If it falls under collision claim ($200 to $250) that would be cheaper than my $500 comp coverage.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
If it falls under collision claim ($200 to $250) that would be cheaper than my $500 comp coverage.
Shouldn't be a collision claim for you. It should be either Comp or Uninsured Motorist.

And hey... you should lower your Comp deductible and raise your Collision deductible. Much smarter coverage and you'd save yourself some pretty decent $$. Me... I carry $100 deductible for comp and $1000 for Collision.

Now, I don't recommend everyone carry such a high Collision deductible. $500 is right for most people.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
When I got to the car this morning, to put in my back pack in the boot.
I know the MINI is small, but you put your back-pack in the boot?!

After seeing those pics, I'm feeling your pain. After a few years of parking in Boston, I finally began to understand why people in NYC have those tacky "bumper-protectors" pads/mats that hug the bumper or hang from the trunk. I thought it was because very few people in NYC could parallel-park (and those that could knew better anyways and garaged their cars), but then I noticed the first scratch from the mean Boston streets and it all made sense. That being said, I've never seen a single person use one in Boston and although I've entertained the thought, I can't bring myself to do so.

Well I know you were talking a few months ago about getting your side sills replaced with aero kit side sills. Perhaps you could just take the money and wait until you can afford to get the side sills and the bumper replaced and painted at the same time?! As difficult as it is, you "could" live with it in the mean-time (as long as you wash your car Come-on... It was beautiful this past weekend!)

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
MrCooperS
Haha, sorry I didn't update. I actually picked up a nice 04 MCS side skirt for $40 and installed for $20. on MassMotoringClub.com a member is already in the process of hooking me up with a rear bumper for a great price//if my dent is repairable. I'll get it painted and then installed. Hopefully it won't run me too much.

I know! The Weather is so nice. I wanted to wash my car this weekend, but I ended up hooking up a Aero Grill kit that took so much dremeling! As well as blacking out a SuperSprint Exhaust I picked up and making a custom radar detector mount. I also had a big photoshop project due for class so there goes my weekend.

Some eye candy for you:
http://massmotoringclub.com/forums/i...p?topic=1373.0
http://massmotoringclub.com/forums/i...p?topic=1248.0

Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Good luck! It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate already!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
MrCooperS
Thanks man. Yeah I know, I tend to do too many things are once. I need to slow down...

Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But unfortunately they are all around. I hope you get it fixed soon as good as new....

Donna

Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Shouldn't be a collision claim for you. It should be either Comp or Uninsured Motorist.

And hey... you should lower your Comp deductible and raise your Collision deductible. Much smarter coverage and you'd save yourself some pretty decent $$. Me... I carry $100 deductible for comp and $1000 for Collision.

Now, I don't recommend everyone carry such a high Collision deductible. $500 is right for most people.
Great, now I'll have to go and readjust my deductibles when I renew my policy in June. I raised all my deductibles from $250 to $500 since it basically evened out me loosing the multicar discount, now you've got me thinking it would be a good idea to put comp lower, at least down to $250 if not $100.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Deviant
Great, now I'll have to go and readjust my deductibles when I renew my policy in June. I raised all my deductibles from $250 to $500 since it basically evened out me loosing the multicar discount, now you've got me thinking it would be a good idea to put comp lower, at least down to $250 if not $100.
Yep, like I've said, just have your insurance company (or agent or broker) give you a few quotes using different deductibles and then weigh the cost/benefits to see what works best for you.

Just keep on mind, Comp claims are largely out of your control. I don't want to pay a big deductible for something that was out of my control, especially when it doesn't cost much more to carry a low comp deductible.

Collision deductible is a bit different. You largely have control over situations that would produce a Collision claim. And there is a great deal of difference in your premium if you take on a larger deductible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone assaulted my rear end