General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad day, today

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sad day, today

Our pepper white 2006 is going away. It has been a great car, and my wife loves it to death. We finally have outgrown it, though.

As much as we CAN make it work, the girls are getting big enough now that they are starting to complain about being cramped on long trips.

Our family of four have taken this car to Florida twice, North Carolina twice (including a dragon trip) and Indiana countless times. It is being replaced by a Saturn Vue, which to my surprise is actually a pretty nice, if slow and numb handling, vehicle. (And it ends up being cheaper than the MINI after the employee discount, which is a nice deal.) We looked hard at jettas and a couple other cars, but decided that if we were going to get a 'big' car, we should get something with the convenience of the hatch, and the ground clearance for the snow up here.

At least I get to keep my 08 for as long as I want it, though!

Here, then, is a short history of the pepper white car, and a shot from a trip to Indiana shortly after we bought it, about two years ago.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sad, but hopefully she will find a home where she is loved just as much.

Personally, I would have traded in the kids and kept the MINI! :D

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life goes on! At least you've had one, and enjoyed it. The Vue is a great vehicle, and you will appreciate it's assets for this stage of your life. Perhaps someday you will come back to a MINI as a "fun" extra car, or once the kids are grown and in college (better start saving, it comes REAL fast!!)......

Anyway, don't look at this as a sad day, it's the beginning of another great stage of life....

are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always like to see people with MINI's and kids. I'll cut you some slack since you're keeping one MINI, what makes my eyes roll is the stereotypical couple that says "well, we have a baby now, we NEED a suburban."

Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
Sad, but hopefully she will find a home where she is loved just as much.

Personally, I would have traded in the kids and kept the MINI! :D
I did try to make a deal that I'd trade both kids and the MINI for a sky redline, but the sales guy wasn't interested!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by catseye
Life goes on! At least you've had one, and enjoyed it. The Vue is a great vehicle, and you will appreciate it's assets for this stage of your life. Perhaps someday you will come back to a MINI as a "fun" extra car, or once the kids are grown and in college (better start saving, it comes REAL fast!!)......

Anyway, don't look at this as a sad day, it's the beginning of another great stage of life....

That's what I'm telling my wife. This was her first manual transmission car, and the first car she actually 'cared about', after a few that she treated like appliances. We REALLY had a hard time finding a replacement vehicle, but the VUE ended up being the choice. Even then, it took her two full days to make a decision. The straw that broke the camel's back was having a family member fly in for Christmas and having to take two cars to go to dinner

The worst part is she doesn't like my MINI as much as she liked the white one. We did a lot of little things to this car, like the stripes, the aero grill, the R53 front bumper, the x-lites, and so on. It is a nice looking car.

I figure in a few years we'll pick up a used R50 or first gen convertible as a third car. That'll do it.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should've gotten a clubman s! I've already told my fiancé that kids are going to be my excuse to get one .

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Sorry for your loss, but you can always get another some day. I'm from
Indy now living in Georgia and have always cheered for the BSC Cardinals
over the years. How about that BSU football team!!! WooHoo!!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
They grow up??

...or once the kids are grown and in college (better start saving, it comes REAL fast!!)......

Attached Thumbnails Sad day, today-img_0045.jpg  

Last edited by desertmini21; 01-05-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My kids are starting to complain when they have to ride in the back of Blimey (which, being a cabrio, does have a legitimate shortage of legroom).

So I've given it much thought, and I regret that I must say...

SCREW'EM.

When they're 17 they can have their own cars with legroom. Until then, whatever doesn't kill'em will only make them stronger.

Their "needs" are not going to intrude on my fun. Whadda they want.... free food, shelter, clothing, cable TV, broadband *AND* legroom? I'm payin', dammit. Suck it up, leeches. Just be happy I don't make you walk.

But I understand that this approach doesn't work for everyone... including those for whom the parenting instinct is still strong.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoy the new ride - Too bad a Clubman didn't replacement the other MINI though....

Donna

Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Get a Clubman.

You'll regret selling this car and getting a non-MINI. TRUST ME.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank goodness you have at least one MINI!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
That's what I'm telling my wife. This was her first manual transmission car, and the first car she actually 'cared about', after a few that she treated like appliances. We REALLY had a hard time finding a replacement vehicle, but the VUE ended up being the choice. Even then, it took her two full days to make a decision. The straw that broke the camel's back was having a family member fly in for Christmas and having to take two cars to go to dinner

The worst part is she doesn't like my MINI as much as she liked the white one. We did a lot of little things to this car, like the stripes, the aero grill, the R53 front bumper, the x-lites, and so on. It is a nice looking car.

I figure in a few years we'll pick up a used R50 or first gen convertible as a third car. That'll do it.

When people come out of town and won't all fit in the MINI, guess what to do?

Rent a car!

It is funny how people buy "Big" cars for the 0.001% of the time they actually need to fill in all the seats.

You can offer to pay a rental for out of town relatives when they come or just rent a big van and when they are gone, simply return it.

The worst possible decision on which to base a car purchase, is to buy a car based on an infrequent need (Like most SUVs drivers out there).

Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Mr Rider
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS

The worst possible decision on which to base a car purchase, is to buy a car based on an infrequent need (Like most SUVs drivers out there).

Roger that! When my kids were younger I drove a full-size conversion van. It was a great vehicle on summer vacation and going to grandma's house for Christmas. The other 49 weeks of the year, it was a big ole hard-to-park, fuel-burning box used to transport lil ole me. Hated it.

Oh...forgot to say...

CHIRP! CHIRP! Go Cards!

BSU Alum
Class of '73

Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
catseye
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
My kids are starting to complain when they have to ride in the back of Blimey (which, being a cabrio, does have a legitimate shortage of legroom).

So I've given it much thought, and I regret that I must say...

SCREW'EM.

When they're 17 they can have their own cars with legroom. Until then, whatever doesn't kill'em will only make them stronger.

Their "needs" are not going to intrude on my fun. Whadda they want.... free food, shelter, clothing, cable TV, broadband *AND* legroom? I'm payin', dammit. Suck it up, leeches. Just be happy I don't make you walk.

But I understand that this approach doesn't work for everyone... including those for whom the parenting instinct is still strong.

I have one word for you:

Menendez........

Old 01-06-2009, 05:43 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Old 01-06-2009, 05:47 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
When people come out of town and won't all fit in the MINI, guess what to do?

Rent a car!

It is funny how people buy "Big" cars for the 0.001% of the time they actually need to fill in all the seats.

You can offer to pay a rental for out of town relatives when they come or just rent a big van and when they are gone, simply return it.

I agree completely with the 'I need a BIG car' thing for only a couple times per year. But not having ANY vehicle in the household that can take 5 people can be a problem when you are a family of four. My daughter can't take a friend anywhere, my wife and her friend can't go out with the three kids unless they take the friend's car every time, and so on. I also had to ride about an hour with a guitar hero box in my lap at christmas time this year, which was not fun.

Having said all of that, though, it really is about having a bit more room for the girls and the four doors for day to day use. It is a difficult thing, though, as I've been on here for years as an advocate of 'you don't need a big car, we have two minis!'.

Regarding a clubman, I was all for it, but two things stopped us: One, a clubman outfitted the way we wanted it was expensive, and two, my wife doesn't like the look or shape of the clubman (I do, though.)

On the bright side, I get to drive this everyday!:

Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
A further thought:

Remember who is going to be in charge of choosing your assisted living or nursing home........

Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
When I help them buy their first car, and we turn it into something special in the garage, all will be forgiven.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
When I help them buy their first car, and we turn it into something special in the garage, all will be forgiven.
There ya go. The key to successfully navigating a twisty road is to keep your eyes up and look far down the road......

Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There ya go. The key to successfully navigating a twisty road is to keep your eyes up and look far down the road......
I've never thought about rule that as a 'life philosophy'. Very nice!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Rider
Roger that! When my kids were younger I drove a full-size conversion van. It was a great vehicle on summer vacation and going to grandma's house for Christmas. The other 49 weeks of the year, it was a big ole hard-to-park, fuel-burning box used to transport lil ole me. Hated it.

Oh...forgot to say...

CHIRP! CHIRP! Go Cards!

BSU Alum
Class of '73

How did I miss this post!

Only about 5 hours 'till kickoff!

Class of '95.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Sad to see it go -- it certainly served you-all well.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
catseye
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
I've never thought about rule that as a 'life philosophy'. Very nice!
You are already going to hit or miss the apex right in front of you, no sense looking at it now. Time to aim for the turn further down track.....

....and that's all I have to say about that....

Quick Reply: Sad day, today