General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgating... not the fun kind

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverbullit
A lot of tailgaters are so busy talking on their cell phones they have no clue what's going on around them. I hope some day there's a national ban on driving and yaking on a cell phone.
Starting January 09... Or well at least sometime this month, in Ontario there will be a ban on that. I don't think it will help THAT much though as speeding is technically illegal and people still speed. We'll see how it goes.

I always feel like I am being tailgated even closer than I am because the back of the MINI is so close behind you. You can see the dirt on that SUV's grill perfectly!! People do follow closer when I'm driving my MINI than other cars, but I think the illusion created by the straight-angled back window and lack of a "trunk" due to the hatchback styling doesn't help!!

Watch the Italian Job again and refresh your memory in escaping from those crazy drivers!!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
That's a whole 'nother can of worms. In NJ it's been illegal for 2 years, and I see more people doing it all the time.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 AM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
I don't understand some people drive very closely behind me. Today morning while I was driving to my work place. One guy, who owned old style Ford F-150, I was on the local street (speed limit 55) and suddenly he is too close for my liking. First thought I am going to give more gas to my MINI, but second thought why should I do that and I am already going 55 mph. So I was tapping the brake and more gas and going.

Now I am thinking again that I should have used my rear for lamp

Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
And its only the SUVs and Big Trucks I bet. They do that to me too, but I speed up no matter what speed until they back off, one Ford F-250 got up to around 100-105mph until he finally backed off, when I kept losing him, further and further ahead of him. I don't know why that is, but its something with yahoos in Trucks/SUVs. Also, most of the time they are the ones on cell phones, no earpiece and not trying to hide it either.

I have noticed that SUVs/Trucks always seem to speed well over 15mph of posted limit on highways, but never seem to be the ones getting pulled over.....hmmm. I once rented a car in Houston and they gave me a Black Ford F-150, and noticed I could drive 85mph on 60mph right in front of a HPD or Texas State Trooper and they just ignored me. And I did this EVERYDAY for a month, from San Felipe to GWB Airport, about 40 to 55 minute commute one way. Although, the next time they gave me a Pontiac G6 GTP and got a ticket for 68 on a 60? Any cops, troopers care to chime in, as to why Trucks don't get pulled over?

Another thing I noticed about Truck/SUV drivers is that if I am about to pass them and they see my indicators, they speed up, to block the pass, "trying" to not allow me to get ahead of them. Now, I do not even use my indicators for a lane change, if it is a Truck/SUV that I am about to pass and I make real fast almost abrupt so that they don't even have time to try to block.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 01-20-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 AM
CoMo R53
1st Gear
I have noticed quite often that if I have the cruise set at my normal 5-8 over, when I go to pass anything from a Ford Ranger on up to a GM 3500 Dually, that I often times find my self sitting side by side and eventually having to get back behind them. Its the whole, my big truck ain't gonna be passed by no cute little toy car, thing.

As for trucks not getting pulled over, me thinks that is just your imagination. Granted it also depends on where you live too. Missouri, well we have ALOT of trucks. So you see them pulled over. I'm sure they get some slack if they have over sized tires, or are obviously a contractor's vehicle, but the old adage of "9 your fine, 10 your mine" seems to ring true most of the time.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
+1. Also, you may become, as I have, more paranoid about people behind you because of this. Parallel parking with any regularity will help calibrate your sense of how close the car behind you is.
this is very true, I always think its pretty tight behind me, and then i get out, and theres tons of space between me and the other car haha