General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you paying for roof graphic install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
jessitron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you paying for roof graphic install?

Hi,
I've been looking to get my sunroof graphic from Cooper Flags installed in So. Cal. I heard good things about a place called Modern Image that does vinyl graphic installs on cars, but they quoted me $150 just for a sunroof install only. I'm 1/2 tempted to do it myself, but I just know I'll fudge it up.

The cooperflags page says it's an EASY install and to do it professional shouldn't cost more than $60. Not trying to be nosey, but I just want to know if I'm being ripped off, or if this is a fair estimate.
Thanks!!!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:10 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
I did my sunroof graphic myself. It took 40 minutes from start to finish and I used the soapy water method. I have done graphics a number of times on my cars and this one was about middle of the road in difficulty with single pinstriping easiest and complex pinstriping patterns on rounded surfaces the most difficult.

If you mix a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle of distilled water and liberally spray the (clean) surface and the sticky side of the graphic, you can move and slide the graphic easily into place and then sqeegee it down. If it starts to dry before you are done, lift the edges and spray the surfaces again.

It should take you no more than an hour or so. Once you do it you will be putting decals on and never get ripped by a high-priced installer.

I did a large 3-part-on-each-side decal my '99 Jeep wrangler and when I sold it in 3 years later it was still perfect. After that I have complex pinstriping I did on my HD tank and fenders and people think they are painted on. My PTCruiser was pinstriped all over with decals on the hood, trunk, doors, roof and fenders--it was a head-turner. I also did the bonnet stripes on the MCS and now I added silver pinstripes to the edge of the bonnet stripes to make them look better.

I bought the on eBay from nctintman for 79 bucks and 15 shipping. Mine is silver and back but he has the red, white and blue traditional type also, It is perforated and a good quality.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...Sparky-27r.jpg

Last edited by thecigarman; 10-15-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
The $150 seems mighty steep to me. I am working with a local shop for clear-bra, tint and stripe install for my soon to be delivered MINI. I will let you know what they would charge for roof graphics next time I talk to them.

That said, the install cost for my clear-bra is only $90 ($45 for bumper, $45 hood...no additional install charge for A-pillars, mirror caps, etc.). I am sure they are making most of their money on the material costs. This is a much more labor intensive job so I would assume a roof graphic install would be less.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM
jessitron
1st Gear
Thanks for the pointers, I was set on doing the install myself, but the instructions on the Cooperflags website advise not to do a wet install for their roof graphics, which sounds scary to me if I don't have some room to move around and even out any trapped air bubbles. But I might just attempt it myself if I don't find a cheaper place to install in my area.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
maximus96
3rd Gear
how do you go about the antenna base?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
jessitron
1st Gear
Follow-UP

Out of desparation I called Modern Image again, instead I talked to somebody that knew what I was talking about $30 for install. If you are in San Diego, and need stripes, roof graphics, or anything custom, I recommend these guys. Just make sure you get the right person on the phone. They did my roof in 15 minutes, a far better job than I would have done on my own.