General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT! Muffler tip is melting bumper!

Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
URGENT! Muffler tip is melting bumper!

Schultze has a 3" Magnaflow catback installed; we had an accident and he just came home from the hospital.

I have to limit the amount of time I drive Schultze because when I went off the road and hit the ditch, it bent the exhaust hangers and the exhaust tip is starting to melt/bubble the new rear bumper.

The collision center is making arrangements with a muffler shop to have it fixed. The initial solution is to have the muffler shop cut the muffler & a short length of pipe leading to the muffler and weld into place a downward-angled pipe leading to the muffler. The end result...as they've described it...will lower the exhaust tip approx 1/2"-3/4" below the curved opening on the rear bumper. Does this sound like the proper solution to the problem? Oh...and they plan on removing the damaged bumper, repairing it & repainting it. However, since the bumper cover itself is plastic, I'm concerned that it won't look right...what is used to repair melted plastic? Is there such a thing as "bondo for plastic"?

Can someone recommend a heatshield product that I can tuck between the exhaust tip & the bumper until the repair is done by the muffler shop?

Thanks!

Erika

Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
Look at the Thermo-Tec Heat Protection Products (heat barrier adhesives)
These work very well for what you are describing . A piece could be cut and attached to the bumper out of site and give the bumper the protection from melting.
http://store.summitracing.com/

Look at part number THE-13500

Last edited by Nitrominis; 05-10-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.gtt.uk.com/PoshMini.asp

It is the cooper s tailpipe surround, mainly for looks, but should be a heat sheild as well.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by nabeshin
http://www.gtt.uk.com/PoshMini.asp

It is the cooper s tailpipe surround, mainly for looks, but should be a heat sheild as well.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply...I should've been more clear in my original post...

I'm looking for something that can be purchased locally as a short-term fix until the muffler shop makes the adjustment.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
meg
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 'vert but I have the Magnaflow on it. I had the aero kit installed and was worried (and read) that the tips would contact the aero bumper and melt it. So I had the tips cut off, about 2 inches of additional pipe installed and then had the tips reinstalled. I don't have any pics but it looks fine.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 PM
SB
6th Gear
Drop the rear hangers and add as many washers as you can between them and the body. It will hang lower but it may be a quick fix for a few dollars worth of washers.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Taru
Neutral
You might look for a flame shield blanket at your local plumbing supply or hardware store. Used to protect surfaces from the heat of the torch when soldering pipes. Should be ~$20.

Is it the hangers that cause the misalignment in the exhaust? Shouldn't that be being repaired rather than hacking the pipes?

Taru

Old 05-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
Most Auto Zone, Pep Boys,Kregans,Grand Auto etc can get this or stock it.

Brand:Thermo-Tec Product Line:Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barriers Part Type:Heat Protection Part Number: THE-13500 Length (in): 12.000 in. Width (in): 12.000 in. Maximum Ambient Temperature (F): 2,000 degrees F Installation: Self-adhesive Quantity: Sold individually. Heat Barrier, Adhesive Backed, 12 in. x 12 in., Universal, Each
Protects parts and components from radiant heat.
Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barriers protect parts and components from radiant heat. They can be used in applications to protect painted surfaces, plastic parts or any component from the damaging effects of radiant heat. These aluminized Heat Barriers are made up of woven silica with a flexible aluminized finish. The highly reflective surface of the material is capable of withstanding radiant temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees F.
The adhesive backed composite construction material can easily be applied to any surface or wrapped around a hose or wire to make a clean professional appearance.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by SB
Drop the rear hangers and add as many washers as you can between them and the body. It will hang lower but it may be a quick fix for a few dollars worth of washers.
Doh!

That's a great idea...guess that was another forest/trees moment for me!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:49 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by Taru
You might look for a flame shield blanket at your local plumbing supply or hardware store. Used to protect surfaces from the heat of the torch when soldering pipes. Should be ~$20.

Is it the hangers that cause the misalignment in the exhaust? Shouldn't that be being repaired rather than hacking the pipes?

Taru
The "solution" described in my original post was given by the collision center; if there's a better solution to the actual repair, I'm certain that the muffler shop will do what's right.

I'm going to try to take pics today...