General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIP Sheila (Sheila's Last Bow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
x4
Still trying to figure out. A little bit of speed and a deer sighting. Had just exited a (20mph) turn and imeaditaley entered into a (40mph) turn carrying too much speed, spotted a deer at edge of road (right side (of a left turn)) turned in a bit to avoid, but I am not sure if release throttle abruptly while entering turn caused tail to loosen up or if I taped on brake, but felt it losen up remember trying to slightly countersteer and throttle but also remember being hesitant about throttle cause felt like I went into turn too fast already. Anyway as car loosened up at rear overcorrected and veered in opposite direction somehow ended up in a slide rear end first right into the bridge's gaurd rail, at that impact went into an airborn roll landed on roof did one more roll into the opposite side of gaurd rail and landed on feet in middle of road. Thats how I remember it, and what the tire tracks indicate.

Surprisingly, no airbags went off, felt like side curtains probably should have gone off. Instantly after impact with gaurd rail while car was starting its summersalt I remember grasping wheel at 9 and 3 just to hold on, as seat belt tightened up. There was no head impact (thank god) when landed on roof or during rolls, remember watching passenger tucked in seat and my belt pushinng me into mine, as if she was wrapping her arms tightly clutching around us, to protect us. After remember shoulder being sore right over where belt was, and both thighs banged up from hitting steering wheel while upside down durring rolls. Lights were on and flashers were engaged as I recall, when we got out.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 10-05-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: note
Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
^^Wow!!! Incredible! And you walked away. Another testimony to the MINIs incredible design.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 AM
jrammon
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW!! Thanks for the detailed play by play. Strange that the airbags did not deploy, and wonderfully amazing to see that you both walked away from a very significant accident. I did not realize you actually rolled the car. I thought the roof damage was due to side impact with the bridge. The Mini is proving to be a very tough car when needed. Again, condolences for Sheila and glad you are OK.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Mini Gymnastics!

I don't know that the air bags should have deployed in a rear end impact, which yours turned out to be. Then you went directly to the roof. The side bags only deploy in a side impact.

I am so glad you walk away from that.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Donor Parts and other Contributing Factors

Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Still trying to figure out. A little bit of speed and a deer sighting. Had just exited a (20mph) turn and imeaditaley entered into a (40mph) turn carrying too much speed, spotted a deer at edge of road (right side (of a left turn)) turned in a bit to avoid, but I am not sure if release throttle abruptly while entering turn caused tail to loosen up or if I taped on brake, but felt it losen up remember trying to slightly countersteer and throttle but also remember being hesitant about throttle cause felt like I went into turn too fast already. Anyway as car loosened up at rear overcorrected and veered in opposite direction somehow ended up in a slide rear end first right into the bridge's gaurd rail, at that impact went into an airborn roll landed on roof did one more roll into the opposite side of gaurd rail and landed on feet in middle of road. Thats how I remember it, and what the tire tracks indicate.

Surprisingly, no airbags went off, felt like side curtains probably should have gone off. Instantly after impact with gaurd rail while car was starting its summersalt I remember grasping wheel at 9 and 3 just to hold on, as seat belt tightened up. There was no head impact (thank god) when landed on roof or during rolls, remember watching passenger tucked in seat and my belt pushinng me into mine, as if she was wrapping her arms tightly clutching around us, to protect us. After remember shoulder being sore right over where belt was, and both thighs banged up from hitting steering wheel while upside down durring rolls. Lights were on and flashers were engaged as I recall, when we got out.

So, I travelled up and down that road where it happend at least 20 times fast and slow, trying to re-enact the situation minus the rolls. And figured out other contributing factors. It was a particularilly COLD night.

1) Acceleration seemed to work extremley well in 50 degree air.(too good)

2) Cold tires (especially Falken RT-615s) on a cold damp night did not seem to work too well.

The other BAD news is insurance did not allow me to get my aftermarket parts eventhough I have stock parts to replace
Any tips in dealing with insurance companies, progressive in particular. Like how to get the most return for buy out??

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 08-13-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: note
Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 AM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Nothing a little clay bar can't fix.. I hear they work wonders..

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 AM
MikeL
2nd Gear
Any tips in dealing with insurance companies, progressive in particular. Like how to get the most return for buy out??
Don't take their first offer. Try to find other Minis that are as close to yours as possible that are for sale so you know what it will take to get another one. Don't forget to factor in the cost of mods (including labor). If they won't pay for them then they should let you remove them and replace with stock parts. I have dealt with Progressive once and my experience with them makes me think they are scumbags. The adjuster's job is to get you to take the least amount of money to settle the claim as possible.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:50 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MikeL
Don't take their first offer. Try to find other Minis that are as close to yours as possible that are for sale so you know what it will take to get another one. Don't forget to factor in the cost of mods (including labor). If they won't pay for them then they should let you remove them and replace with stock parts. I have dealt with Progressive once and my experience with them makes me think they are scumbags. The adjuster's job is to get you to take the least amount of money to settle the claim as possible.

"Don't take their first offer."

This is what I wanted to know. I did not think I had a right to negotiate the pay out. The way they explained is that they would see what the going rate for cars similar to mine in my zip codes (95076) 25 mile radius, and that is the end.
Wow, "INCLUDING LABOR" I didn't know that was included in the formula

Since the car is here in NY, but registered in CA, I noticed they are going back and forth between an adjuster form CA and NY, probably trying to figure out what suits them best.

Thanks MikeL

Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The bits you mentioned about the seatbelt tightening are interesting. I know there are supposed to be pretensioners that tighten the belt in a collision. It sounds like those activated.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM
red_line
2nd Gear
I also had Progressive low ball me. I took 8 examples from autotrader in my area with the same miles. ALL WERE 2K OVER THEIR OFFER. In the end they only offered me $500 more then their first offer. So i said shure and i keep the car. They did'nt agree. So i took their final offer and striped off the parts at the wrecking yard before the final payment was mailed.

Last edited by red_line; 10-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 AM
meg
5th Gear
Unless you added the mods to your coverage (called them and told them about them) the insurance company probably isn't going to cover the cost of them. However, if they don't then they should let you go and take them especially if you have the stock parts.
When I totalled my MCSC Geico let me go and take off the exhaust, taillights etc, and told me I didn't even have to put the stock ones back on, to just leave them in the car.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
WOW! Proggressive offered $19,100 for buy out, I am imppressed. They kept guesstimating around 15 to 17K. Totaled car got highest bid for $3950, but I am buying it back. (Sentimental Value is priceless) Durring the time I was waiting to get my title from CA, I did some research on Kelley Blue Book, NADA, Red Book value and also averaged out prices on cars.com and autotrader.com (25/50 mile radius from my zipcode) and presented it to my ins. agent plus had all reciepts for aftermarket parts to factor into the buyout settlement. It fell pretty much on target with my research, minus $1380 deducted for mileage, which is 30 bucks more that KBB deducted, so I was cool with that. Thanks for the tip in dealing with insurance company, it paid off.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
So are you going to rebuild it? Or just have some yard art?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
If he lived in Sanger, TExas, the yard art might be appropriate, but I dunno about those Califlornia types.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Decided not to keep after all. If I was in California I would have rebuilt but too difficult (and costly) to do in NY without hook ups. Now looking for new MCS

Old 12-08-2007, 07:08 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
The Replacement

Here are a few pics of the Sheila's Replacement. Already, getting in some trouble just like Sheila did.

GP0019 got caught doing the kinda donuts that cops don't like.

Just a fix it ticket, I knew some of the cops

One more

New GPs name is Rio and is the reincarnation of Sheila

Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Sweet GP! What was the fix it ticket for?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Fix it

Originally Posted by MINIxB
Sweet GP! What was the fix it ticket for?
Since 5-6 cops got dispatched they had to issue something, so they gave me a fix it for plates and told me to get new tags but not ticket cause I told them I just purchased car 2 days prior. Got lucky since I knew a few of the officers.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Since 5-6 cops got dispatched they had to issue something
Your jurisdiction sent 5-6 cops to someone who was reported to be doing donuts in a lot?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
You tell them to "jog on," do a fat burnout, and flick them off as you drove off maniacally?

Sweet GP!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
I guess now we know that GP0019 is getting thrashed and trashed

Old 12-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Phillip
3rd Gear
Sweet looking GP, ticket already, well let this be a lesson, dont get caught next time.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Your jurisdiction sent 5-6 cops to someone who was reported to be doing donuts in a lot?
Yeah, there's a comidian George Lopez that said on an HBO comedy special that Watsonville has the highest cop ratio per capita. Honestly, they have nothing to do, but hang out at Starbucks. (and chase GP0019 now) GP0019 is for sure not gonna be a garage queen On the 3rd day with Sheila (RIP)got a ticket for 137mph on the 46 got pulled over right at the James Dean memorial. Soon I'll have a Pennsylvania licsence so I don't have to worry about points in California (I think)

Time to update my sig, but want to keep old sig belonging to Sheila:

M7 16% pulley+2% crank pulley, M7 AGS V.2 Intake, M7 Oil Catch Can, M7 180 thermostat, M7 Strut Tower Bar, M7 exhaust, M7 Aerogel, M7 Air Plate Diverter ; Screamin Demon coil, Detriot Tuned by-pass-valve, NKG's Iridiums, Kingsborne wires; H-Sport camber plates, H-Sport springs, H-Sport Competition rear sway, H-Sport Sport front sway, H-Sport control arms; Powerflex bushings, MINI Madness rear shock mounts; MINI CVT bars, KONI Sport shocks, Falken RT-615 in 215/40-17, ATE slotted rotors, Super Blue, EBC Green pads, Goodridge SS lines, Tyrolsport bushings, Redline fluids

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 08-13-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Soon I'll have a Pennsylvania licsence so I don't have to worry about points in California (I think)
You might want to check on that to be sure. In some states, driving convictions from other states will still show up.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. If possible can you give us some details on how this happened?

Quick Reply: RIP Sheila (Sheila's Last Bow)