General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fireballed! STREET TUNER CHALLENGE HotThread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't hear any mention of the ****, but I'd bet that it was wicked cool, given who asked that question!

I just watched the final episode last night and was disappointed in the final result. I was wondering how they were going to pull off the engine tune so quickly on a motor that hadn't had much time for the tuning community to experiment with and dial in the approach. With the increase in sensor count and computing power in modern cars, I'm amazed every time someone can figure out how to wring massive HP gains from a stock engine. I think that the Focus guys experienced some of the same problems with a newly redesigned motor, but the opinion that I got from watching the show made it seem that they were more tied in with Ford corporate than FBR was with MINI to get help with the systems.

As someone who kicked in on the 'community involvement' aspect of the FBR car (1"x1" square photos sold), I was disappointed that it didn't come out on air... it sounded like a great idea that just wasn't followed through on (or just didn't take).

The FBR design took a while for me to 'get', but it grew on me. I'll give 'em "props" for stepping up and pushing the envelope in terms of styling and design.

Last edited by agranger; 01-31-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 AM
rlnewby
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't watched much the show. (I don't have cable tv.) Even hearing the disappointment I still want to watch (anyone have a link to the show somewhere on the net? pm me)

I did catch a part of a episode where the focus wouldn't start. They called Ford. Why did team mini call MINIUSA. I sure they would have helped with the software.

With the numbers that Alta is getting from their level 1 type mods I am sure the R56 could be a beast.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Brain1.0
Good Morning !

For those of you who either know the story or know how hard it really is to do something like that I thank you for your support. For those with nothing but negative to say I also thank you for your opinion weather you know the story or are right or not doesn't matter but your perception of how things are/were is clear and in the real world all we have is perception and results..

For the disappointed, I am also disappointed but it is what it is and if you know what we had to work with and work through to even get where we did you might be impressed instead of disappointed. I wont go into details because its not the right thing to do but I will say Hubie and I , Andy and a couple others really busted *** on that car even though it didn't get finished the way we hoped.

As for the choice of car that was mini's choice to use an r56 not ours.

With all that said I am definitely no longer a part of FIREBALED I just couldn't take it any more...no details but I am done! But don't expect me to disappear any time soon though! I was actually done by week 8 or so but because we committed to the show and the build we stayed and finished best we could with what we had.

Everyone has sucesses and well...less than successes ROFLMAO! Just for the record the dyno numbers were ah well not exact....LOL ( for the mini )

Thanks again for the support!
im sorry dude. we all wanted the mini to rule. next time it will.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God, what a terrible effing show, they should all be wearing rainbow whigs.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by agranger
I didn't hear any mention of the ****, but I'd bet that it was wicked cool, given who asked that question!

I just watched the final episode last night and was disappointed in the final result. I was wondering how they were going to pull off the engine tune so quickly on a motor that hadn't had much time for the tuning community to experiment with and dial in the approach. With the increase in sensor count and computing power in modern cars, I'm amazed every time someone can figure out how to wring massive HP gains from a stock engine. I think that the Focus guys experienced some of the same problems with a newly redesigned motor, but the opinion that I got from watching the show made it seem that they were more tied in with Ford corporate than FBR was with MINI to get help with the systems.

As someone who kicked in on the 'community involvement' aspect of the FBR car (1"x1" square photos sold), I was disappointed that it didn't come out on air... it sounded like a great idea that just wasn't followed through on (or just didn't take).

The FBR design took a while for me to 'get', but it grew on me. I'll give 'em "props" for stepping up and pushing the envelope in terms of styling and design.
Nothing real fancy; it's what they wanted, though.

I caught a couple quickie shots of it on two different episodes; but that wasn't quite what we had agreed to (or what I paid for).

Attached Thumbnails Fireballed! STREET TUNER CHALLENGE HotThread-stc-knob-1.jpg   Fireballed! STREET TUNER CHALLENGE HotThread-stc-knob-2.jpg  
Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Whalen makes amazing stuff. Sorry I didn't see his work on the show.

Here is my new little devil from Doug

Longboard

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Second time one of my ***** was shown on Speed, and no props.
Dang!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
I got to get me one of those, you do really nice work.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Whalen makes amazing stuff. Sorry I didn't see his work on the show.

Here is my new little devil from Doug

Longboard

almost as cool as mine

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 01-31-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
I fell bad for Doug at Whalen. He makes awesome stuff and gets stiffed by some show boating clown,...cough cough Firebal Tim. Perhaps this is a chance for Fireball Tim to take up something else and leave the MINI
community in his past. You have made a fool out of you business and yourself. You have also succeeded in making the MINI community look silly. Thank you for the high hopes and the **** poor results.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 PM
agranger
6th Gear
You know... No matter what you think of FBT or FBR, Tim doesn't get to decide what footage goes in the show. It's very possible that he plugged Waylan's custom shift **** but it got left on the editing room floor.

Last edited by agranger; 01-31-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
agranger
6th Gear
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Little known fact: These were exactly the same **** on exactly the same car... just before & after the RMW Tune!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
almost as cool as mine

lol check out the reflections

Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by cartar452
lol check out the reflections
good points to the above posts

that is Mr. Whalen himself!

thanks again for the great ***** you have sent me for all of my cars

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
BEFORE:

Thats AWESOME!!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
[quote=Revolution Mini Works;2013486]good points to the above posts

that is Mr. Whalen himself!

But I'm not really wide in the middle, as the pic would have you believe.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
With all the experience FBT has building insane R53's, why on earth would they want to start with a brand new R56? Screw the free "donor car" from MINI USA; he should've started with one of his tried-and-true custom R53 cars. Cars he can make 400 HP with in his sleep!

The MINI aftermarket took years to crack the code of the R53 ECU. What made them think they could fool the new one on the R56 in 10 weeks???

Arrogance and overconfidence...

The engine truly had some sick power mods, but if the ECU isn't cooperating, what's the use???

This loss is really damaging to the MINI tuners, and the MINI community in general. They had a chance to prove our cars to the world out there, and somebody at FBT and/or MINI USA dropped the ball.

Too much clowning around on set, too much building remote-control rovers. Build a fast MINI!!!

And lastly, where the heck was the picture I paid to have painted on the side of that car? I want my money back, Tim!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
You know... No matter what you think of FBT or FBR, Tim doesn't get to decide what footage goes in the show. It's very possible that he plugged Waylan's custom shift **** but it got left on the editing room floor.
That's what I was guessing, too.
The thing is, when an agreement has been reached and money (even if it's "payment in kind") has been exchanged, the agreement should be honored.

I've already said too much; I'm going away now...

Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh

And lastly, where the heck was the picture I paid to have painted on the side of that car? I want my money back, Tim!
The photos were included in the build. There is a firewall just behind the front seat. Our photos were put on the passenger side... I'll see if I can find a link to the photo that I saw a few weeks ago.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Here you go:

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
I stand corrected, thanks.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
you keep saying HE.... well HE as in tim has NOTHING to do with power mods... tuning.. or anything other than making (as a mom said after seeing allot of his designs) clown cars

With all the experience FBT has building insane R53's, why on earth would they want to start with a brand new R56? Screw the free "donor car" from MINI USA; he should've started with one of his tried-and-true custom R53 cars. Cars he can make 400 HP with in his sleep!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 PM
agranger
6th Gear
I stand corrected, thanks.
No worries. I kinda feel forgotten about on this as well. It wouuld have been real easy to send a link to this photo to the people who contributed via email with a short thank-you note... Tim comes on to my local MINI board every now and then and he directed me to the photo when I asked a very similar question.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
almost as cool as mine

I can't tell if he's stirring the pot, about to lay the smack down with a baseball bat, or holding his...umm...his junk All funny, whichever it is

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
maybe he is about to lay the smakdown with his junk and he is stirring the pot in the mean time ?? LOL

Quick Reply: Fireballed! STREET TUNER CHALLENGE HotThread