General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Ordering My 2003 S, what package to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am ordering my S in the next week and have to make sure that I get the stuff I need and nothing that I don't to slow the vehicle down on the track. I am considering only getting the Sport Package, but mostly for the xenon lights and better seats, as I don't think I really care for the DSC. Can the DSC be turned off just the same as ASC? I have a 2001 VW GTI 1.8t right now and it has the ASC that can be turned off. On the track, it is a serious danger to have a computer deciding what your throttle response should be. . . .

Any suggestions for getting the most out of my Cooper S without spending money on extras. Although I have the GTI, I am most used to driving a Land Rover Defender and seriously dislike anything that is not a flip switch or an analog gauge, so all of the various electrical digital gizmos are not desireable to me one bit.

Right now I think I will get:

Cooper S
Sports Package
H K Stereo (one unnecessary luxury for a track car)

Any other suggestions or tips?

Old 11-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Yucca Patrol
Changed my mind. I can save some dough and avoid the parts of the sports package that I do not want.

So here is the list:

Cooper S

Xenon headlights
Fog Lamps
Multifunction Steering wheel (spoiled with the radio/cruise controls on my GTI)
Harman Kardon Stereo (I'm saving so much not buying the gizmos I can live a little)

Going to go with stock 16" wheels, as I hate those daisy shaped 17" ones as well as the fact that tires for 16" wheels are a LOT cheaper than 17", and from what I hear about feathering the outside edge of tires, I should save a lot of money on rubber over the next few years.

Old 11-12-2002, 03:12 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can turn off DSC just like you can ASR in the GTI. In fact, the symbol is the same!

I just went from GTI 1.8T to MCS, myself!

http://www.ross-tech.com/Andys-Stuff/mymini.html

I'd advise getting the Sport Package since it may be very time consuming to swap in the sway bars later on. I chose the 17" all-seasons since I plan to use the 60-lb (that's right, 60-lb!) runflat wheel/tire combos for winter only. In the spring, some nice, light 16" OZ or BBS'es with conventional summer rubber are going on (should save about 20lb per corner of unsprung weight).

Old 11-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Yucca Patrol
You read my mind on the 17" run flats for daily use and a nice set of 16" BBS for track days. I think I will do just that: get the sport package, nothing extra if I can help it. . . .

Old 11-14-2002, 05:25 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the Cooper S, the sport package only gives you the DSC, the 17's, the fogs and the Xennons. That's it. The Cooper S already comes stock with the sport plus suspension. There are NO suspension upgrades with the sport package.

So if you are not interested in the DSC or the 17's, it might be best to just buy the fogs and Xennons seperately.

FWIW, I bought an MCS that had the best "track" options I could configure for myself: cloth interior, to help from sliding around; no fogs, you get nice brake vent grilles without them! (they just need a little minor ducting to be extremely effective); no sport package, as the 17's were cost prohibitive for replacement tires, and I drive more with the ASC+T turned off than on, so why would I want DSC.

YMMV

R

Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here is the list:
Cooper S
Xenon headlights
Fog Lamps
Multifunction Steering wheel (spoiled with the radio/cruise controls on my GTI)
Harman Kardon Stereo (I'm saving so much not buying the gizmos I can live a little)
Perfect. That was my list for my order, except I added leather and deleted the HK stereo. I ended up finding one on the lot, though, for MSRP, and bought a spec car with packages. By my calc, with metallic paint, mine came up to $22,615.

The on-board computer, auto-AC, 17" rims, etc. don't add much but weight IMHO.

Of course, I ended up with packages and I'm not complaining, but in all honesty when I considered the stuff that I wanted, that was the list. Best bonus? Ordering cruise gets you the steering wheel radio controls. The only feature that I find myself using a lot.

Enjoy it! --Jeff

Old 11-14-2002, 08:02 AM
Yucca Patrol
I ended up putting a deposit on a vehicle that has more packages than I was initially looking for, but is super cool, I got it at MSRP, and is on the boat as I type this. So I do have some added weight from extra gizmos that I do not need, but it is going to be an outstanding MCS too.

I do really enjoy spending an afternoon on the racetrack, but I am a non-competitive type that gets a bigger kick out of improving my skills than in winning Auto-X races, etc. I do hope to Auto-X this car, and I'm not really worried that the sunroof is going to add a little weight to the car.

The most important thing to know is that I can turn off the DSC at will for spirited driving. Not a bad option to have in a car, as it will make me feel a lot better tossing the keys to someone for them to try it out.

I also decided to get this vehicle because it had leather seating that offers the additional back support that I need after an injury a few years ago.