General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2011 Formula 1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernie finally caved and is producing Formula 1 in HD. All broadcasters with F1 carriage agreements will get the HD feed, including Speed.

Speed to Air Formula One In HD

Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to me that the harder they (FIA) try to make F1 more of a race (i.e. easier passing) and less of a procession the more they mess things up...

I know that this sounds so old school but why not return to the way F1 was in the 60 & 70's (or 80's for that matter)?

It was technically innovative during that time frame and yet the cars required a deft hand behind the wheel... a real driver, not a video game player.

Now for 2011 we see the return of the dreaded KERS system (push to pass button ) and adjustable rear wings (this feature should prove to be interesting... )

It would seem that other more astute people share my opinion that F1 is becoming overwhelming for a driver.

See what Alonso & Massa have to say:

Ferrari Drivers Concerned Cars Too Complicated

Associated Press | Posted January 16, 2011 / Madonna Di Campiglio, (ITA)

Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are not fans of more buttons in the cockpit...

Ferrari drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are worried they'll have too many buttons to press on their steering wheels following the latest Formula One rule changes.

Speaking at Ferrari's annual winter retreat in the Italian Dolomites on Thursday, the drivers addressed the admission of adjustable rear wings, the return of the KERS power boost system, plus the switch to Pirelli tires for this season, all combined with extensive testing limits.

"Without realizing it, we're losing the focus on driving," Alonso said, adding that "the cars become tougher to drive when you have to make all these changes from one turn to the next."

The rear wings are perhaps the biggest novelty. While designed to facilitate more passing and appease fans, nobody is quite sure what effect they will have.

Drivers will be able to adjust the wings from the cockpit once they are two laps into a race, but the system's availability will be electronically controlled and it will only be activated when a driver is less than one second behind another at predetermined points on the track, then deactivated once the driver brakes.

"If you make the wrong choice and you have three cars behind you, you could fall from first to fourth in an instant," Massa said. "We have so many things to do on the steering wheel but we still need to drive the car. We can do it, but from a driver's point of view it's not fantastic. On every (turn) there are three or four buttons to press. It's definitely a little too much."

So, I'm curious... Am I alone or do the rest of you dislike the road that F1 is carving out for itself?

How do you feel about it?

Opinions?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabre
It seems to me that the harder they (FIA) try to make F1 more of a race (i.e. easier passing) and less of a procession the more they mess things up... ...
So, I'm curious... Am I alone or do the rest of you dislike the road that F1 is carving out for itself?

How do you feel about it?

Opinions?
For me F1 took a back seat to sportscar racing a long time ago. I've been to 10 or so ALMS races since the USGP ended in 2007, and I"m not looking back. I might go to the Austin USGP, but not if it means missing even one ALMS race.

If you want to see real racing watch sports- and touring-cars. I still like F1, but not quite as much as other series.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
For me F1 took a back seat to sportscar racing a long time ago.
Well I've never set any hierarchy as to what series I follow (I'm just an avid road racing fan, F1, ALMS, Grand-Am, SCCA, BTCC, Australian Supercars, etc.) but I can relate to your disillusionment with F1 because there are times (like now with the addition of the adjustable wings, KERS, et. al.) that I believe that the sport has lost its way.

I've been to 10 or so ALMS races since the USGP ended in 2007, and I"m not looking back. I might go to the Austin USGP, but not if it means missing even one ALMS race.
I do love the way that the ALMS runs their show... Been to several ALMS races (Road America - multiple times) and Mid-Ohio.

The USGP was fun and I have to admit that the organizers did try their best to make things fan friendly (within the confines of F1's aloof ranks) and affordable. Though I dislike Tony George (almost as much as I do Bernie), I feel that he did try to put on the best show possible for the fans. Its just that Indy is a "mickey-mouse" venue for F1... didn't like the circuit at all especially when we have so many natural road courses here in the U.S. Now if I can swing it I will give Austin a shot and hope that it's a winner...

If you want to see real racing watch sports- and touring-cars. I still like F1, but not quite as much as other series.
There are many series out there that offer close, competitive racing with lots of on-track action (e.g. passing) and you're right RaceTripper, sports/GT/Touring are highly professional series with "real racing" but you know, in the end its all "apples & oranges" as far as comparisons go... F1 is still F1 and can offer much if it can steer itself away from getting moribund with inane rules on how to make the cars more competitive (e.g. KERS, adjustable wings, etc.).

Last edited by Sabre; 02-02-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Awhile back I posted this concerning the implementation of new tech on the 2011 cars...

Ferrari Drivers Concerned Cars Too Complicated

Associated Press | Posted January 16, 2011 / Madonna Di Campiglio, (ITA)

Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are not fans of more buttons in the cockpit...

Ferrari drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are worried they'll have too many buttons to press on their steering wheels following the latest Formula One rule changes...

"Without realizing it, we're losing the focus on driving," Alonso said, adding that "the cars become tougher to drive when you have to make all these changes from one turn to the next."...
Now at that time, the only drivers to speak out on the subject were Alonso & Massa.

Now others are also chiming in on the changes the 2011 rules makers have wrought...

Barrichello Concerned By Cockpit Workload

Adam Cooper | GMM Newswire | Posted February 02, 2011 Valencia (ESP)

Rubens Barrichello tried KERS and the movable wing on the Williams for the first time, and found it hard to focus on driving. He has expressed concerns about the amount of work drivers have to do in the cockpit this season.

On Tuesday, the Brazilian tried KERS and the movable wing on the Williams for the first time, and found it difficult to concentrate on the actual driving.

"The only drawback from the day is that the number of buttons on the steering wheel can distract you from the driving," he said. “I don’t think it’s a danger, but I think it’s a concern. In terms of execution, the additional controls are obviously necessary, but people have different steering wheels, so drivers may therefore be able to reach some buttons easier than others. The problem is you are taking your eye off the road.

"There is not a single straight where I don’t press a button and change gear. In my role in the GPDA we will keep talking about this, but I think the FIA will let us practice a little more. I think the strong comments will come now but will lessen as people get used to things."

I wonder how many on track incidents will occur due to drivers being distracted (no, not cell phone usage while driving... ) by all the buttons that have to be employed?

Yes indeed, at the start, Turn #1 at most venues should prove to be an even more interesting proposition than before!

Hang tight everyone... Only 36 days till the season opener!

Last edited by Sabre; 02-02-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Can't get enough info concerning F1?

If you are looking for more than just the live TV feed of an F1 race then you're in the market for an App! (and who nowadays isn't? )

Yes, you and your smart phone can connect to the good ole internet and viola! All the current F1 news concerning the race is right there at your fingertips!

So with that in mind, here's an article that some of you may find of interest...

What are the must have interactive tools for following F1 2011?

by James Allen / JA.F1 / 31 January 2011

I got a message last night from a reader, looking forward to the new season, who asked the following question:

“Is there a way you could create one post on different interactive tools that will be available in the new season on-line?

“I am talking about apps, McLaren telemetry on-line, etc. It would be cool to know what is available out there – sometimes races are boring, but when you have live timing, telemetry and other apps it is much more interesting.”

This was quite a hot topic at the Fans Forum in London last summer, so with the new season in prospect, this is a call out to all the readers to suggest what you think are the must-have interactive online tools for following F1, alongside the TV coverage?

Let’s share the knowledge so we can all get the most out of the new season.

I’ll kick it off with a few.

If you’ll forgive me, I’ll start with the JA on F1 Tweets website, (http://twitter.jamesallenonf1.com) which pulls together all the best tweets in real time from teams, drivers, journalists and other F1 insiders. We’re relaunching it this week to co-incide with the new car launches and the start of testing. You can follow all the action this week from Valencia, as told by the people on the spot.

The beauty of this twitter aggregator site, now refreshed and revitalised for its second season, is that you don’t have to be on Twitter to follow all the people on the lists. You just go to the site and watch as it auto-refreshes, bringing you insights from the paddock and live blow by blow coverage of the race weekends and the bits in between.

The timing on F1.com is a must, of course. I always have a window open with that on, even when I’m in the press office at the track.

During the race I also follow the live track map on the BBC F1 website, which shows the positions of the cars around the circuit in real time. The same thing was available on the Soft Pauer iphone/ipad app. I think that’s still going, but I know they had a tough year last year.

Anyway on a computer the BBC map (which they get from FOM) is free to view and it’s very handy during the race for seeing where the cars are relative to each other around the time of the pit stops.

Let us know what tools you use to enhance your understanding of the sport.

For more commentary you can go to...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/01/what-are-the-must-have-interactive-tools-for-following-f1-2011/

Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Can't get enough info concerning F1?

If you are looking for more than just the live TV feed of an F1 race then you're in the market for an App! (and who nowadays isn't? )

Yes, you and your smart phone can connect to the good ole internet and viola! All the current F1 news concerning the race is right there at your fingertips!

So with that in mind, here's an article that some of you may find of interest...
The F1 Timing and Scoring app for the iPad/iPhone (it's on Android too) is well worth it. They had just a few hiccups last year, but it's great for following along with practice, quali, and race. It gives you stats and track position in real time and is especially nice when used on an iPad while watching F1.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Lotus Renault GP driver Robert Kubica was seriously injured in an accident at the Andora Rally (2/6/11) ...

Kubica Seriously Hurt In Rally Crash

Adam Cooper | GMM Newswire | Posted February 06, 2011 Balen (BEL)

Robert Kubica has suffered serious injuries in a rally accident in Italy this morning.

Kubica is crashed his Skoda in the town of Testico shortly after the start of the Andora Rally in the region Savona.

His co-driver Jakub Gerber was able to escape from the car without injury, but Kubica has suffered serious left leg and arm/hand injuries, and was airlifted to hospital.

Although the injuries are not life threatening, unconfirmed reports suggest that they could be turn out to be serious enough to end his racing career.

Pictures of the crashed Skoda showed serious damage at the front of the car and surprisingly little sign of impact on the driver’s side, so it’s not entirely clear how he was injured.

After undergoing extensive medical checks this morning, Robert Kubica has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand. He is currently undergoing surgery at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure.

Daniel Morelli, Robert's manager, will be available for the press in front of the hospital emergency entrance at 16h30 CET."

Lotus Renault GP issued the following statement: “Lotus Renault GP driver, Robert Kubica, suffered an accident at high speed this morning while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally. The driver was airlifted to Pietra Ligure Hospital, where he is currently undergoing medical checks. His co-driver is fine. Lotus Renault GP will issue another statement as soon as more information is known about Robert’s condition.”

Whatever the true extent of the injuries, it seems certain that Kubica will not be able to start the season. Lotus Renault GP has a long list of potential replacements – led by officially nominated third driver Bruno Senna– but if Kubica is out for a long time, the team may look elsewhere.

Nick Heidfell and Tonio Liuzzi are free agents, while another team’s third driver – such as Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg – may be of interest.

Here's hoping that all goes well for Kubica and he is able to return to F1.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
minirab
5th Gear
I saw the video, not good.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Neat video!

F1 Triva

Only 1 person has ever won the FIM 500cc Motorcycle World Championship AND the FIA F1 World Championship.

Who is that driver?

BONUS POINTS

What Grand Prix did he clinch the championship?

What year did he clinch the championship?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mike Hailwood??

Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Mike Hailwood never won a F1 championship.
Did win FIM 500 cc championship.

Here is Cooper F1 question.

In 1966, the FIA changed the engine capicity to 3.0L.
What engine manufacturer did the factory Cooper F1 team use?

Last edited by Vollgas; 02-09-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Sir John Surtees
Grand Prix of Mexico

Maserati

Didn't mean to hijack thread.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
If any of you would like to send Robert Kubica a get well message, an e-mail address has been set-up by the Renault team.

You can write to Robert at...

fans@lotusrenaultgp.com

Or if you wish to send your best wishes to Kubica, you can go to Renault’s Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lotus-...5966083?ref=ts

Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Take a look at this...
Deb that is truly frightening.

Kubica is fortunate in that the armco seems to have thrust its way close to the drivers door and not farther towards the midline of the auto as it would surely have impaled him.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Don't count on round 1 happening...
I can't imagine any foreign race fans attending with the possibility of civil unrest... The stands will be empty I'm afraid, not that they were ever really full. It would be prudent for el Supremo (aka Bernie) to call it off rather than endangering the teams/drivers/etc. but I guess that $$$$$ talks louder than civil unrest/revoloution.

Perhaps they could move the Bahrain round to Yas Marina circuit in neighboring Abu Dhabi. With the equipment already enroute (or there) it would seem the wise alternative to hosting the opening round of the 2011 season.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Deb that is truly frightening.

Kubica is fortunate in that the armco seems to have thrust its way close to the drivers door and not farther towards the midline of the auto as it would surely have impaled him.
I'm really surprised that the rail broke the way it did. If you look at the video, it appears that there was a break there BEFORE the impact. Does anyone know if this is true, or was just part of the simulation?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
... If you look at the video, it appears that there was a break there BEFORE the impact. Does anyone know if this is true, or was just part of the simulation?
Deb here's a link to some in car footage of the rallye car that was behind Kubica... At the 3 minute 30 second mark (3:30) the in car footage shows Kubica's wrecked racer and if you look closely, the guardrail is stuck into the nose of the car. Therefore it is plausible that this is what occured.

Additionally, if you do a search on "YouTube" for the incident you will see a variety of pictures showing the car with the guardrail section having pierced the nose and protruding from the ruined rear hatch. Truly a frightening incident.

On a happier note, glad to see that Kubica is doing well and that his surgery to restore his hand was a success. Our prayers go out to Robert and we hope to see him healthy and fully recovered from this accident.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Well, that's my point, Sabre. I know the rail went through the car's front end, the question I have is WHY? What caused the metal to break mid-span? In looking at the footage you posted, it strikes me as a pretty dangerous road. Granted, it's narrow and mountainous, but there are plenty of places that even normally-driven cars would be in deep doo-doo pretty quickly because of no or poor guardrails and bridge rails.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Oh I see what you mean... I miss understood your question Deb, sorry.

After looking at the guardrail (and its condition) sections that flash by in the in-car footage they seem hardly up to the task of containing a car at speed or a larger vehicle (i.e. SUV or light truck) as they appear rather flimsy to me. Perhaps they just aren't maintained well and the bolts that hold them together just sheared off from age or metal fatigue?

I have to admit that the road is a dangerous one that would allow for practically zero errors, lest you pay an awful price, as in some sections there is no barrier, just a drop off!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Grey Poupon
1st Gear
Oh well. I guess we have to wait an extra couple weeks. 3 1/2 weeks to the 12 hours of Sebring.

Quick Reply: 2011 Formula 1 discussion