General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2008 Formula 1 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy around the Italian GP.

Anyone here have any experience with going to that race and have any advice or recommendations for hotels?

Thanks!
Too bad you can't do Spa too. It's only a week later and not that long of a drive from Monza.

My wife and I were going to plan that trip (Monza + Spa), but we've pretty much decided we'd rather go to the 24 Hrs. of Le Mans instead (we like ALMS/LMS racing better than F1 now).

Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy around the Italian GP.

Anyone here have any experience with going to that race and have any advice or recommendations for hotels?

Thanks!
You lucky dog! Do you have room in your suitcase? (Oh, never mind. The baggage charges are absurd right now.)

Yes, I have suggestions. First, how long will you have in Italy? Is this a race-only trip, or do you have some sightseeing in mind?

Avoid Milan--it's a real PITA. If you do want to see "The Last Supper," make reservations now. When we went to Italy in May, we'd hoped to see it before we headed to the airport (we'd been in the mountains). No such luck, it was booked for 2 or 3 months, as I recall. They were renovating it and viewing was restricted. I don't know if that's the story now.

As for a place to stay, if you can, I'd recommend the Italian Lakes region. I can't speak for prices (high everywhere), or your wallet (probably flat with the exchange rate), but Stresa is beautiful. It's less than 100 KM from Monza, mostly by Autostrada. Of course, I'm sure a resourceful MINIac could find more interesting roads. Stresa is where we had the giganormous bus incident, which I wrote about earlier in this thread, I think. No accident, more humorous than anything, but a real...surprise...when we found it facing us around a tiny street's bend. Stresa itself is quite photogenic, with gardens to stroll in along the waterfront (free parking on the street), although the boat to the castle is a ripoff, IMO.

I do NOT recommend Como, although it is much closer. In 10 days of driving, we found it to be the dirtiest city we'd been in, and it's a shame. The lakes themselves are gorgeous.

If you're renting a car, try to get one of the Alfas. They'll run a little more than an econobox, but will be well worth it, unless you're just planning city or straight-line driving. We had a 159 (someone else had ordered it), but I think the 146 would have been fine. It was a turbo diesel, and had great fuel economy, which makes a difference at $11 per gal., or whatever it is now. We had borrowed a GPS (George of Pure Sh1t), who panicked every time we were in the mountains. In cities, though, they're pretty good, as long as there are no street closures. Again, your mileage may vary.

If you're making the pilgrimage to Maranello, expect to be disappointed. After paying $25 per person (May, '08), there were only about 10 F-1 cars to see, albeit historic. You'll do just about as well at the Vintage races at Elkhart Lake. The rest of the museum was so-so, too. Strictly my opinion, of course.

I do have specific road suggestions if you want to play.

Happy viewing, and be sure to wave to the camera so we'll know who you are!

P.S. Where in St. Louis are you? We lived in Manchester in the 70's, and I'd move back in a flash. MO has wonderful MINI roads.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
I'd love to go to Spa. But I think 1 race per trip is my wife's max. We've got a deal. Our vacation plans each year can be planned around a F1 race. But not the whole thing. Last year we did 8 days in Montreal.

Our plan this year is to get to Milan on Thursday. Shop on Friday. Practice, Quali and Race Saturday & Sunday (via trains and busses) and depart Monday.

Where we arrive from and where we depart to is to be determined as once we get the race weekend planned we'll probably spend the week before and week after all over Italy. We have a friend who has a house in Treviso so we'll definitely head down there and check out Venice. Rome has been discussed. Once we get through the holidays we'll sit down and finalize the itinerary.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Oh yeah, I'm trying to decide on seats. I'm thinking 6c in Alta Velocita or maybe 8A Prima Variante. The tickets are expensive but I'm not going all the way there to get bad seats. :P

Any suggestions?

Daff -- I live downtown in STL. Previously, University City where Race Tripper resides currently.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
bring good rain gear

Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Where we arrive from and where we depart to is to be determined as once we get the race weekend planned we'll probably spend the week before and week after all over Italy. We have a friend who has a house in Treviso so we'll definitely head down there and check out Venice. Rome has been discussed. Once we get through the holidays we'll sit down and finalize the itinerary.
If you're going to spend that much time in Milan, and won't get a car, I'd fly into Milan (Malpensa), and stay somewhere around there. Continental flies there nonstop from Newark. It is also a major rail hub, but I really would reconsider the car thing, though. I've gone to Italy (and Europe) by rail and by car, and you will definitely see far more by car. It will also give you a lot more freedom as to lodging, food, sights, etc. And the roads!

Venice is a lot of fun (and one of my favorite cities). Be SURE to see the Ferrari merchandise shops. There are at least 2 on the island, and one has its very own retired F1 car. And the owner will be happy to give you race results if you ask.

BTW, our last trip was 10 days driving through the northern end of Italy, and into the eastern French Alps (about 900 or so miles altogether). We were in cities and in rural areas, and in all that time we almost never encountered an English-speaking person outside Venice! We were really surprised because that's never happened before. Be sure to bone up on the Italian and take along a couple of the little phrase books. You can get them used for a couple of dollars on Ebay and Amazon. Don't bother with Rick Steve's Italian phrase book, though. As much as I enjoy his programs, the book is lousy, unless you enjoy learning how to say "I am Bill Gates," without knowing actually useful terms and phrases, like "Where can I wash my clothes?" Yes, really. And don't even ASK how to handle a dental emergency! He won't tell you. On the other hand, you'll be able to tell the dentist "I am going bald." I am not making this up.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Second the brushing up on the Italian....I went to Rome and then to Sardegna back in October and its tough. It was always funny when the person I was trying to communicate with found out I am 50% Italian with an Italian name....you no speak Italian ? Whatza a wrong with you ?

It was nice to hear my last pronounced correctly and effortlessly though it gets butchered here.....

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
ANY language will help in Europe, except maybe Japanese! I speak enough German to get into trouble, and picked up Italian to get motel rooms, directions, food, etc. We got along, but I could have used more...

Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Same thing we have found.

Make an effort to ask in the native language, and most times the answer will be in english.

Alan

Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alan
most times the answer will be in english.
Boy, I wish!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
As the 2008 season is gone, I started a new 2009 F1 thread.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alan
Make an effort to ask in the native language, and most times the answer will be in english.
I found that to be mostly true. The people I have come across would rather speak English than hear me butcher their language.