General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

An Alternative to the SPEED Channel

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An Alternative to the SPEED Channel

I thought that I'd post this here (didn't know what other category to post in).

If you are tired of the the repetitious coverage of NASCAR and shows like PINKS, UNIQUE WHIPS, etc. at the expense of other forms of racing that the SPEED Channel delivers then you might want to check out The Racing Network at

Seems the founder of Speed Channel, Jim Liberatore, feels your pain. He's putting together a new road racing oriented TV channel for those of us who have tired of 'Boogity, Boogity, Boogity' and all the other worthless drivel that has infested what used to be our favorite network. Go to their website and tell Jim that he's on the right track.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link... lets see if this actually happens.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre
...If you are tired of the the repetitious coverage of NASCAR and shows like PINKS, UNIQUE WHIPS, etc. at the expense of other forms of racing that the SPEED Channel delivers then you might want to check out The Racing Network at

Seems the founder of Speed Channel, Jim Liberatore, feels your pain.
I went to the site and have a couple of comments. First, there is a place for you to either say you would switch providers to one that carried this channel or no thanks. I personally don't have a lot of switch options but would pay extra for the channel and would have liked to voice that choice.

Next. I used to be a BIG follower of CART and road racing in general. Then the IRL came along and everything changed. Politics got in the way and both of them suffered big time. The races were boring and few of the drivers had any charisma. I still watch the 500 but can't even remember this years although I do remember Marco's drive in 2006. Of course there is still F1 but can't remember anything exciting there for the last many years until Hamilton came along to make things interesting.

So I started watching NASCAR and you know what, I enjoy it. Lots of passing and you don't know who will win before the race starts. Yes there are things to complain about too like debris yellows and getting away from any contact at all but still the races are interesting even though they only turn left. While we are on left turns there is nothing, make that NOTHING, like watching a World of Outlaw race on a half mile dirt oval. I am a road racer at heart and spent many years road racing karts and now a SpecRX7 in SCCA club racing. But I would drive 6 hours (and do) to watch a WoO race in person. Or a NASCAR race at Dover, Richmond or Bristol.

So what would I want in a racing channel? No Pinks or Pimp my Ride. Lots of weekly racing taped with the big events live including NASCAR, CART, IRL, Rally, Pikes Peak, Sports Cars, go-karts, Drags, any form of racing.

That said, one of my favorite shows was Monster Garage (yes I know it was not on Speed) as it showed how to actually build something. Unique Whips is somewhat like that as is Orange County Choppers. Kids don't learn that stuff in school any more (I know as I use to teach it) and I think that shows like these (and the Boyd Coddington show that was on and others like it) are great for a lot of reasons. But not necessarily on a racing channel. Do I want to see hours of NASCAR babble? Nope. But a qualifying synopsis would get my attention.

The Racing Network site's forum was beginning to be a discussion about oval and road racing with NASCAR and everything associated with it being cast as the boggity <G> man. I like racing. Speed, technique and technology and would want to see that on TV 24/7 and would gladly pay for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Rich

PS-Here is a great site that lists racing on TV if you are interested. http://www.geocities.com/racefantv/USTV.htm

Old 09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FortyTwo
Thanks for the link... lets see if this actually happens.
Your welcome! I sincerely hope that the Racing Network becomes a reality. I was an early subscriber to Speedvision and I loved the coverage. Then FOX purchased it and it was changed to the SPEED Channel. The coverage went from a variety of racing to being NASCARcentric. Personally, I've grown weary of the same thing 24/7 on SPEED.
F1, ALMS, Grand-AM, SCCA, etc. all play second bananna to NASCAR coverage. NASCAR and the "Pimp my Ride" shows like Unique Whips, and PINKS get prime viewing hours while non-NASCAR racing is relagated to bizarre/odd air times (i.e. middle of the afternoon or in the early hours of the morning like 3:30 AM).
It (Racing Network) will only become a reality if more people are aware that such an entity is being attempted. Tell your friends and get them to sign that petition.

Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I went to the site and have a couple of comments. First, there is a place for you to either say you would switch providers to one that carried this channel or no thanks. I personally don't have a lot of switch options but would pay extra for the channel and would have liked to voice that choice.

Next. I used to be a BIG follower of CART and road racing in general. Then the IRL came along and everything changed. Politics got in the way and both of them suffered big time. The races were boring and few of the drivers had any charisma. I still watch the 500 but can't even remember this years although I do remember Marco's drive in 2006. Of course there is still F1 but can't remember anything exciting there for the last many years until Hamilton came along to make things interesting.

So I started watching NASCAR and you know what, I enjoy it. Lots of passing and you don't know who will win before the race starts. Yes there are things to complain about too like debris yellows and getting away from any contact at all but still the races are interesting even though they only turn left. While we are on left turns there is nothing, make that NOTHING, like watching a World of Outlaw race on a half mile dirt oval. I am a road racer at heart and spent many years road racing karts and now a SpecRX7 in SCCA club racing. But I would drive 6 hours (and do) to watch a WoO race in person. Or a NASCAR race at Dover, Richmond or Bristol.

So what would I want in a racing channel? No Pinks or Pimp my Ride. Lots of weekly racing taped with the big events live including NASCAR, CART, IRL, Rally, Pikes Peak, Sports Cars, go-karts, Drags, any form of racing.

That said, one of my favorite shows was Monster Garage (yes I know it was not on Speed) as it showed how to actually build something. Unique Whips is somewhat like that as is Orange County Choppers. Kids don't learn that stuff in school any more (I know as I use to teach it) and I think that shows like these (and the Boyd Coddington show that was on and others like it) are great for a lot of reasons. But not necessarily on a racing channel. Do I want to see hours of NASCAR babble? Nope. But a qualifying synopsis would get my attention.

The Racing Network site's forum was beginning to be a discussion about oval and road racing with NASCAR and everything associated with it being cast as the boggity <G> man. I like racing. Speed, technique and technology and would want to see that on TV 24/7 and would gladly pay for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Rich
I too enjoy racing. ALL types, though my preference is Road Racing. What grinds my gears about SPEED Channel is the proliferation, nay, domination of NASCAR oriented programming almost to the exclusion of everything else. You know, everything in moderation. Too much of something, no matter how good, loses it's allure. As for shows like PINKS, UNIQUE WHIPS, et. al. I find them to be nothing more than shallow, contrived entertainment. Enough of this debauchery. Where's the racing?

Unfortunately Rich, there's nothing that we can do about the politics of racing (Champcar v. IRL) and Tony George is a name best not spoken in my presence as it was primarily his actions that have so damaged open wheel racing in North America and allowed NASCAR to become the 800lb. gorilla!
I too am a road racer ( SCCA Spec Racer Ford) but I also enjoy other forms of competition and unfortunately SPEED only wants to peddle NASCAR and its associated series. I'm so tired of roundy-round (getting so dizzy) and I've been to the point where if it weren't for F1 and ALMS, etc. I would have dumped SPEED!

I could go on, but your comments should best be expressed to Mr. Liberatore so that he can take the pulse of those viewers who are so disinchanted with SPEED. Drop him a line on the comments section of the Racing Network's webpage. I know that he's listening and that he will value your input.

Last edited by Sabre; 09-05-2007 at 06:18 PM.