Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Temp reduction

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:54 AM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Temp reduction

I have a 2013 R56 JCW, bought new in March of 2013. It came with the flat undertrays, and I added the GP2 diffuser soon after I bought it. Also added the JCW temp and relative torque gauges. I finally got around to ordering and installing the GP2 engine belly pan a few days ago. Since installing the belly pan it has been 100F+ every day since. Right away I noticed a drop in the engine water temp at highway speeds---70 MPH. Normally it would run at 92C on a hot day. Now it runs about 88C in 100F+ weather. Has anyone else added this piece and noticed a drop in engine temp? It seems the faster I go the cooler it runs. Of course when I stop or get in traffic it goes back up to 92C. Can anyone with a GP2 with a temp gauge tell me what their temp normally runs? 2013 JCW's and GP2's are the only ones that only run 90C in water temp. Also I feel that this helps cool the intercooler somewhat. Can't really prove it, but it was always a bit sluggish in hot weather. I don't feel that now! It was worth the money I spent at Way Motors for this piece.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a great piece of data. There were some other threads about the gp2 pans and diffusers and it was agreed that the aero was improved as mini stated they designed them in the wind tunnel but there was never any mention of cooling benefits.

It's counter intuitive to some to think that adding the panels helps cooling but as you say it can by "forcing " air flow where it is needed and improve cooling. The pans also clean up the Venturi's and negative pressure zones under a car at speed.

This is great. Both the splash shield and rear diffuser are on my "buy" list for what was esthetics and snow rain protection and aero improvements. Now I can (we can) add cooling improvements. It's a win - win - win - win

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm sure others will appreciate it also.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i installed the engine bay belly pan on my 2012 all4 and the coolant temp dropped from 230F to 220F @ 70 mph as shpwn on scan gauge 2

also the wind noise decreased significantly

Old 10-05-2014, 05:01 PM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
i installed the engine bay belly pan on my 2012 all4 and the coolant temp dropped from 230F to 220F @ 70 mph as shpwn on scan gauge 2

also the wind noise decreased significantly
Thanks to you and Drivehard for the feedback on the GP2 belly pan. I had never seen my temp below 92C (197F) before on the highway at 70 MPH. Now it runs 88C (190F) even when the outside air temp was 104F. I want to wait and see what it is when the air temp gets down around 68 to 70F. It was well worth the money I spent, and working on the car in the driveway on jack stands in 100F+ weather.

I might add that the 2013 GP2 and JCW are the only MINI's that run steady state 90C all the time. My wife's Clubman S 105 to 108C (226F) except when under a load and then it drops to 90C. Also on her car when you turn the AC to the coldest setting and the fan to the highest setting it drops right away to 90C. I don't know how many people know that. Best to do that before you shut it off so the cooler coolant is pumped through the turbo for better cooling!!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drivehard
There were some other threads about the gp2 pans and diffusers and it was agreed that the aero was improved as mini stated they designed them in the wind tunnel but there was never any mention of cooling benefits.
There is promotional material from BMW that specifically mentions that the intention of the GP undertray is to improve airflow through both intercooler, as well as the other aerodynamic effects. Obviously improving airflow through the intercooler will also assist airflow through the radiator, as they sit together.

Here is a direct quote from the press release information

"The air flow round the front of the car has been significantly improved with the help of a large spoiler and full aerodynamic shielding of the engine compartment underside. This aerodynamic shield not only reduces drag and front axle lift, but also improves air flow through the engine compartment. Slits in the centre of the shield help to expel air from the intercooler. The slits are situated in an area of fast air flow and high vacuum force, so that the air is literally sucked out of the engine compartment, thereby improving the performance of the intercooler."

Here is a link to an example, look under "aero"

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/09/...pecs-revealed/

I have a GP2 road car as well as GP2 tarmac rally competition car. Driving at freeway speeds the water temp in both usually sits around 87-90C. I also have a JCW circuit racing car, and I saw a significant improvement in water temps on this car after putting on a GP2 undertray.

So the OP is correct, it does improve water temps at speed. The undertray is a great addition, and does the job it was designed to do

Last edited by robbo mcs; 10-06-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant temps are controlled by the DME.
Adding more air will not change that.
Not sure why the temp would drop just b/c of more air. DME CTS sees cooler temps and closes down the thermostat until target temp is reached.
MY coolant temps are at 180 all day long b/c I have a tune with that temp specified.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 PM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Indimanic
Coolant temps are controlled by the DME.
Adding more air will not change that.
Not sure why the temp would drop just b/c of more air. DME CTS sees cooler temps and closes down the thermostat until target temp is reached.
MY coolant temps are at 180 all day long b/c I have a tune with that temp specified.
Understand what you are saying. All I know is that my temp before the undertray was 90 to92C all the time regardless of OAT. Now it's 88 to 90C. Maybe the min the DME is looking for is 88C, before it makes a correction. Just a thought. One thing that did change for sure was that there is now zero dust in the engine compartment.

My thought of getting the engine tray in the first place was I had the flat undertrays and diffusers, but not the engine pan. To me that would be like having a wing with no leading edge. Never was looking for a cooling effect, until I saw it on the gauge.