Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Drove 13 JCW auto, disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JackMan017
No booing from me. I went with the auto for the same reasons. If I had another DD, I would have probably went with the stick. When I feel the need to row through the gears and reach tripple digit speeds in seconds, I just jump on this thing.

Either from me, I think I got to the limit of the automatic at the track, in the city it will be my choice, no doubt.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Carpeviam
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since everyone is throwing in their 2cents, here's my pennies.

I'd never get an auto with the JCW cause the stick is more fun than an auto, and I'm only getting a JCW for the fun.
If I want an auto cause of traffic, I'd rather just have a luxury sedan or something where it'll be super quiet, cushy and you don't have to think about shifting or driving much to get you from here to there.

And if it had to be a Mini, then I probably wouldn't have went for the JCW and just got a Justa or an S. No point in spending extra cash for a JCW if you think the majority of your drive has traffic so bad that you can't really drive anyway.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM
marbleme2
2nd Gear
My delima is---momma says --no straight shifts in this house! She said I could have my "toy"--(2013 JCW--auto -- on order)but it has 2 b a auto --a little back ground---I've been married 4 34yrs----so ---I'm getting my toy---with an auto

Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carpeviam
If I want an auto cause of traffic, I'd rather just have a luxury sedan or something where it'll be super quiet, cushy and you don't have to think about shifting or driving much to get you from here to there.

And if it had to be a Mini, then I probably wouldn't have went for the JCW and just got a Justa or an S. No point in spending extra cash for a JCW if you think the majority of your drive has traffic so bad that you can't really drive anyway.
Completely agree. The extra cost for a JCW and not getting to use the power just wouldn't make sense.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I would double check where you are getting your information, just so you are not surprised or disappointed upon delivery. The Tuning kit is a dealer installed option and increases power to 197HP not 208HP (Actually 2013 JCW's have 211hp). Its not the JCW engine but some add on parts and software to increase power. Also being that its dealer installed the $2120 is just for the parts. I would expect to pay a lot more than that after installation. More than likely you would be better off getting a Factory JCW in the long run for just a little more $. And you get better brakes as well as the aero kit.

Look here:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-roadster.html

Also information here: (scroll down to the bottom reading "2011+ John Cooper Works Tuning Kit for MINI Cooper S")

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/05/07/24014/

Technically, he is correct. 208 HP at overboost is what MINI purports.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:13 AM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started the post. Point being the auto JCW does not feel any faster than the auto Mini Cooper S. just get an S save the cash and enjoy it. I know, bigger brakes, rims etc, not worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 AM
marbleme2
2nd Gear
I think I would notice a difference between of 30 ponies between the S and the JCW in auto besides --from what I'm reading on NAM--the JWC will turn out more ponies after a reflash without any more engine upgrades

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by marbleme2
My delima is---momma says --no straight shifts in this house! She said I could have my "toy"--(2013 JCW--auto -- on order)but it has 2 b a auto --a little back ground---I've been married 4 34yrs----so ---I'm getting my toy---with an auto
Then your decision is made. The auto JCW will be really fun. The truth is you talk to any dealer out there and they sell more automatic transmissions then manual. The JCW may be different but overall an auto is more in demand. If you can get paddle shifters I would definitely do that. It will give you that sense of control that most manual drivers are after. When I test drove the paddle shifters it feels slower at first because the shift does not happen when you push the paddle but a few 1/10ths of a second later. So if you anticipate a down shift then it works out pretty well.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
marbleme2
2nd Gear
Thats what I've been told--after u learn 2 use the paddle's--there great !

Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rans09vert
I have a 2012 JCW with 6 speed manual, took it in for routine maintenance, and was given a brand new 2013 JCW automatic. I honestly cannot tell a difference between that and a standard mini cooper S automatic. The auto trans just dulls out the whole experience. My car is tremendously faster, my seat of the pants meter. My car is so much more fun to drive. Sorry people who have the automatic, but just my observation.

Odd because an automatic transmission will maintain boost between shifts, while a manual typically dumps boost as the engine spools off between shifts.

Even the Autmatic BMW's turbos have 25-30 more lbs of more torque than manual equipped. So would think the MINI would be the same

Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Those who say that a stick is faster shifting are nuts, they only think it feels faster.

Let's see, let off on the throttle, push in the clutch, shift the gear stick, let out on the clutch while giving it more throttle.

Or

Push a paddle shifter and it shifts in a fraction of a second.

Who do you think you're fooling!? Only yourself!

Dave

Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Those who say that a stick is faster shifting are nuts, they only think it feels faster.

Let's see, let off on the throttle, push in the clutch, shift the gear stick, let out on the clutch while giving it more throttle.

Or

Push a paddle shifter and it shifts in a fraction of a second.

Who do you think you're fooling!? Only yourself!

Dave
As much as I love manual transmissions and will probably always have one, you are right. There is also something really annoying about how the engine sounds when an automatic is shifting under hard acceleration.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
You steer a car with an automatic trans... You drive a car with a manual trans ;-)