Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Is it dumb to buy a 2011 JCW??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ej827
The more money you have to put down, gives you more leverage to negotiate a better price than if you have little to no money down.

NO. The dealership is not a bank. They don't care at all how much money you put down. They only care that you can pay for the car- either cash or financed. The dealership gets paid full price in cash on every car - wether it is your cash or the banks cash. Even if you lease a car the dealership gets full purchase price from the leasing company. The lease company is buying the car from the dealership.

If anything the dealership would rather you finance through whatever bank they hold hands with because they make a commision from the bank when they get someone to finance with that bank.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
NO. The dealership is not a bank. They don't care at all how much money you put down. They only care that you can pay for the car- either cash or financed. The dealership gets paid full price in cash on every car - wether it is your cash or the banks cash. Even if you lease a car the dealership gets full purchase price from the leasing company. The lease company is buying the car from the dealership.

If anything the dealership would rather you finance through whatever bank they hold hands with because they make a commision from the bank when they get someone to finance with that bank.
I did not say the dealer was a bank. If they don't care how much money you are putting down, then why is that one of the first questions that they ask????
If you don't put any money down you are most likely going to be paying MSRP. Of course it's going to be finance. They are not giving you the car foe free.
The down payment shows how intersted /serious you are. They don't like when people waste their time.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
I just looked at the Mini site and they are NOT offering a factory Navigation system for 2011.
I also thought that the JCW Aero Kit was going to be standard for 2011??
I am glad I bought a 2010.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
SeVeReCaRaDdIcT
2nd Gear
I just looked at the Mini site and they are NOT offering a factory Navigation system for 2011.
DISLIKE!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
It's pretty well publicized that the NAV and Mini Connect will NOT be available until November/December builds. That is why it is not noted as available on the Configuration. The way that it is being built, it will be worth the wait, and the NAV is cheaper this year and includes more. Just have to have an Iphone.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 AM
deniax
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
It's pretty well publicized that the NAV and Mini Connect will NOT be available until November/December builds. That is why it is not noted as available on the Configuration. The way that it is being built, it will be worth the wait, and the NAV is cheaper this year and includes more. Just have to have an Iphone.
But that is just for the states then I guess? Coz I ordered mine with NAV and Mini Connected.

The NAV I can somewhat understand that maybe the maps are not ready, but why Mini Connected can be ready for Europe and not for the States, I don't get it....

Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
If they don't care how much money you are putting down, then why is that one of the first questions that they ask????

The down payment shows how intersted /serious you are.

you almost answered your own question. They are wondering if you can afford it.

The amount you can put down will not affect the price you pay for the car.
If you believe that is the case, you came up against a slick salesman.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Funny thing about the putting money down. My sales gal told me that they required $1000 down. Then when we went to put together the order, she forgot completely about it until I told her to access my ATM/checking account for more than that. You're right though, asking for money down is a way to tell the tire kickers from the serious customers.

2011 BLK/RED roof JCW

Ordered: 09/08/2010......date not yet set for production.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did not say the dealer was a bank. If they don't care how much money you are putting down, then why is that one of the first questions that they ask????
If you don't put any money down you are most likely going to be paying MSRP. Of course it's going to be finance. They are not giving you the car foe free.
The down payment shows how intersted /serious you are. They don't like when people waste their time.
No offense intended but your car buying knowledge is way off. As already noted, the dealer gets paid regardless of how/who pays for it. I'm an older guy who's bought many cars, and I never get the "how much can you put down?" comment when looking at a car. When the deal, i.e. sales price, is reached and I am turned over to the finance guy, the question then is "how would you like to pay for this?" The sales price and how you intend to do that are two separate transactions. On another tangent so is your trade-in value if you have that in the equation. Buying a car based on your down payment, or monthly payment, is a feather in the saleman's cap.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
I like keeping my monthly payments as low as possible. That's why I like putting a nice down payment.
I don't want to finance 100% of a $35,000+ car with taxes and have a monthly payment over $600.00. NOT SMART.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
ej:

That's my sentiments, exactly. Not that I will ever make a minimum payment, as I like to pay off early, but in case of a problem? I have a cushion.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
ej:

That's my sentiments, exactly. Not that I will ever make a minimum payment, as I like to pay off early, but in case of a problem? I have a cushion.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
bugman58
1st Gear
Is it dumb - well, yes and no..

I got a 2011 S, the dumb part (in my openion) is the JCW kit, because you can get better after market parts than the kit provides. However the 2011 Mini S is quicker than the 2010, I was suprised just how much. I added Borla sport exhaust,(looks awsome), lowering springs, clear bra, NM intake and charge & dis-charge pipes to turbo for just about the same $$$ as the kit, glad I did.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bugman58
I got a 2011 S, the dumb part (in my openion) is the JCW kit, because you can get better after market parts than the kit provides. However the 2011 Mini S is quicker than the 2010, I was suprised just how much. I added Borla sport exhaust,(looks awsome), lowering springs, clear bra, NM intake and charge & dis-charge pipes to turbo for just about the same $$$ as the kit, glad I did.
Except the kit is still faster than your '11, as you have no ecu tuning to accomodate all those mods. All your ECU is doing now is compensating all the extra air and such to behave as close to stock as possible.
You'll need a tune to make those mods actually work, which will run about another 8-900. And none of the parts are under warranty.

Then again, I bought an '08 S and aftermarket exhaust/intake/plumbing/shocks, springs, sway bars, etc, and a tune. So I did what you did, but just being the devil's advocate =)

Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bugman58
I was just going to mention about warranty too. Some dealers are much more lucrative about mods. Most will accept exhaust upgrades and even intakes, but when you start getting into the dis-charge pipes they get a bit leary, and especially if you get caught with a tune.

Me? I went with the factory JCW. I don't regret it, and sure, it cost probably about $2k more, but what a car to drive. Plus, I still have a warranty in any Mini dealer. After market stuff is nice, but just remember that you may be eating that turbo cost, or something else one day.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
SeVeReCaRaDdIcT
2nd Gear
I went with the factory JCW. I don't regret it, and sure, it cost probably about $2k more, but what a car to drive
You'll reap the benefits in resale value over a standard S with upgrades. I can honestly see both sides of the argument, but mods aren't typically recuperated in resell.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Sorry Cooper S guys there is no comparison between a Cooper S with mods or the JCW tuning kit and a factory JCW. There just isn't.

I seriously doubt you will get close to this:

Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM
bugman58
1st Gear
I would also say this, Mini S or JCW Mini - I would still change out the charge & dis-charge pipes, its a good thing to do no matter what. What sense does it make to restrict the air to your turbo?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 PM
miner 49er
1st Gear
Yes they can! It's a fact. But, that's only, if they look...ie. a serious engine issue. I've been tempted, and my tech says "don't ever worry, I'll be the one working on your car." But there may be that day that my tech moves, gets another job, etc. I just read that post re: warranty claim denial b/c the owner flashed his ecu. Although the ecu upgrade may have had nothing to do with the the engine failure, they were able find a history of ecu tampering. Not worth it, for an extra 20 ponies? Nah. Was able to hang with an AMG SL the other night, with my stock JCW...Maybe had something to do with the MBZ geezer's driving skills...hehe

Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Wait for a 2012 as the 2011 motor has issues that MINI is running and hiding from. Buy used if you want to MOD as MINI will void your warranty at any chance they can get or make up. MINI USA and BMW suck!!!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I broke down traveling on vacation and got stuck at a "Dirt Bag" dealer Lithia of PDX. They are ther only dealer in OR and they have a monopoly on the sales and service and I had no choice. I wanted the car to go to Niello in Sacramento and Hans would have at least pulled the head and looked in the bottom end to determine what failed before making claims that can not be backed up. This is why they refuse to put anything in writing. Sac was 100 mile further and MINI Roadside would only tow it to PDX. I should have paid out of my own pocket to get it there. If I did I would be back on the road already and not getting jerked around by PDX and MINI USA. Now we have a pissing war going on but this is the way they want to do it. Great customer service from a customer who has purchased 2 MINI's in 14 months. I sold 4 cars for MINI in that time period to friends and customers based on drives in my car which I know regrete. I hope they do not have problems and have to deal with MINI's BS. I have cost MINI PDX 2 cars already and that number is going to grow. PDX customers who purchased in WA based on fear of service in PDX. They should be scared as Lithia MINI BMW PDX are " DIRT BAGS"!!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 AM
bugman58
1st Gear
on the decision to go JCW Mini or Mini S with mods - it is a diffacult decision, with the JCW you get the computer improvements, that is cool. But with mods and the same $$$ you can easily come up with better exhaust, intake and also make some other improvements not included in the JCW cars/kit. Close call, but I like doing the research and being the one makeing the decisions, for me that is part of the fun of owning a car like a Mini, you can kind of make it your own.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Cannedtuna
2nd Gear
Also.....

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Don't buy a 2011 MINI or any MINI because a few people on here who are active posters have had a bad experience... makes sense to me . If we always listened to some peoples (who are in the minority) complaints about things and did nothing then we would all still be living in caves, sitting around a fire and fighting each other for a scrap of meat.

I am an active poster, I create threads, reply to threads and post lots of pictures of my car. I have had an enjoyable experience with my car. In the 2.5 years and 25,500 miles that I have owned this car, I have not had any engine, transmission or clutch problems with my 09 JCW.

Would I buy another one... I do not know at this time.

Last edited by onefish2; 05-15-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it dumb to buy a 2011 JCW??