Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Torque Steer elimination retrofit!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Was there any change in the engine programming?
If there is I can not detect it at all. This was a big concern to me but it seems to accelerate just as strongly after the update. As I understand it the key is the use of the electric power steering to counteract the torque.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
A while back, there were some complaints here about getting a reflash for the window dip problem (I think, going from memory) but there was a change in the ECU programming. These things also have nothing to do with each other, but there seemed to be something different about the ECU programming afterwards. Whether this was intended or collateral, I don't know.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all!

I went in today to get the timing chain tensioner fixed again, and had the tech give me the most up to date software upgrade, which included the TS fix. It is a drastic change. You pull into traffic and floor it and no more going to the right or left. The traction control light blinks for a second, and then you are off in a hurry. Amazing. I was told the update normally costs JCW owners nothing, and is about an hour of labor on non-JCWs. My tech is a friend, so I got it for free. I highly recommend the update!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Laardilla21
Hey all!

I went in today to get the timing chain tensioner fixed again, and had the tech give me the most up to date software upgrade, which included the TS fix. It is a drastic change. You pull into traffic and floor it and no more going to the right or left. The traction control light blinks for a second, and then you are off in a hurry. Amazing. I was told the update normally costs JCW owners nothing, and is about an hour of labor on non-JCWs. My tech is a friend, so I got it for free. I highly recommend the update!
Could you ask your tech/friend to document exactly what was updated, using what tools, and to what version? This would be very helpful to add to the thread, for those who are trying to work with their local dealerships on getting the retrofit.

Also, for anyone who upgraded the software on a 2010 JCW, 03/2010 build or newer, did it also "enable" the exhaust burble?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Luckily, I did ask him what exactly the update did. He told me that the best he can understand is that it is a coding packet for the computer which uses the electric power steering and the DTC to quell the TS. When the car senses the TS, the electric power steering tries to keep the wheel straight ahead, and the traction control uses the brakes to keep the power down. My car does not have the LSD, but it definitely feel like it has one. Haha. He said it simply installed on the car like any other normal computer update.

I thought all JCWs had the burble, and it was only lost to us S folks? I do not have a JCW, so I could be mistaken, but every person I know with one has the burble.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
I talked to my adviser today when I dropped my JCW to get the window dip issue resolved. He was adamant that no such retrofit existed. I then provided the information that's been provided here.

We'll see what happens.

Todd

Last edited by Sanderskog; 04-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sanderskog
I talked to my adviser today when I dropped my JCW to get the window dip issue resolved. He was adamant that no such retrofit existed. I then provided the information that's been provided here and he said he'll look into it and let me know.

We'll see what happens.

Todd
Good luck. It exists alright and even after 5 months I am still amazed at the improvement.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Laardilla21
Luckily, I did ask him what exactly the update did. He told me that the best he can understand is that it is a coding packet for the computer which uses the electric power steering and the DTC to quell the TS. When the car senses the TS, the electric power steering tries to keep the wheel straight ahead, and the traction control uses the brakes to keep the power down. My car does not have the LSD, but it definitely feel like it has one. Haha. He said it simply installed on the car like any other normal computer update.

I thought all JCWs had the burble, and it was only lost to us S folks? I do not have a JCW, so I could be mistaken, but every person I know with one has the burble.
Can he specify which 'coding packet' name/version ? Looking for information that we can give to our local techs, so they understand what needs to be done. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I will ask him today and get back to you. Anyone with a 2011 should already have this coding because it is built into the newest software. So, those of you waiting on your 2011 JCWs or MCSs will be very happy.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Well, that was quick..

It is software version 2.40, and my dealer has software version 2.41.1. I think if your techs are saying it does not exist then they do not have the newest software version. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Thanks, that helps.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Had my MINI for some service this week. Asked about the software upgrade...still no luck. Any new news from anyone on this?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Got it on an R56 "S" just today!

Got it done in last day on 2010 MCCS--not a JCW. Just drove it home from dealer 40ish miles on freeway and some suburban streets. Net is, indeed the torque steer seems 100% gone thus far; just pulls straight ahead, strongly in the lower gears as usual. Feels much more like my Audi high powered AWD's than the prior "just hold on" under full throttle. No more feeling like it was jumping two feet left under hard throttle that needed steering correction.

In my case, I went in to get the software tweaked for recently added JCW brakes (self installed; front calipers and related rotors only). They had heard from one other customer inquiring about a possible torque steer fix, but it sounded like they didn't know exactly what it was about. I showed them a few of the posts with the software rev numbers, which seemed to clue them in, and they were happy to oblige for a total of one hour of labor (including the brakes updating while they were at it). They simply understood it as updating the car to the lastest "system software" levels as I was requesting, rather than connecting it to any bulletin about a "torque steer fix" or some such. From the print outs they had with their shop paperwork, that was version 41.2.0.1, or perhaps known as R056-11-03-503. I don't know the difference between the two numbers, but I would guess the second one is saying its an R56 (don't know about the "0"), and that it is as of 2011, month 3. My car was built in Sept. 2009, and indeed the old version shown was R056-09-09-516. They wrote on the shop order to update it to at least version 2.41 (per the prior post), so likewise I expect the version number above is some internal program version nomenclature. Seemingly a truly great mod and improvement, now on my S for real.

Originally Posted by jasoncolorado
Had my MINI for some service this week. Asked about the software upgrade...still no luck. Any new news from anyone on this?

Last edited by MP1.6T; 04-28-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Sent this link to my SA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:52 AM
blackbart
2nd Gear
This software update sounds interesting. Does anyone think this Coding will be lost when an owner installs a Alta Accessport?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 AM
blackbart
2nd Gear
Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Yes, checking in as that poster, torque steer update and AP go together!

Now a few days in. Same report as before in terms of big improvement. Ran another 100 miles in suburban, city and freeway. All great, no hiccups whatsoever. Can change AP to other tunes w/out issue too.

As I mentioned the other day, it strikes me the SA understood it a lot easier when I said I just wanted to bring the system s/w all the way up to date, rather than focus on torque steer. In turn he then said, oh yeah that will give me all the other little tweaks they supposedly do along the way. No idea what those are, and haven't noted any other change, but certainly feel the torque steer improvement every time I punch the gas.

Originally Posted by blackbart

Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Does anybody know if this update also adds the exhaust burble/pop to 2008-2010 Cooper S's that is already found on the 2011's with the sport button on?

I really like that feature of the 2011's and it would be great to add it to my future used Cooper S that I am hoping to purchase later this year.

From my untrained eye (and brain), it seems like the 2011 exhaust setup is exactly the same and MINI just added the burble/pop via software...

Old 05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Does anybody know if this update also adds the exhaust burble/pop to 2008-2010 Cooper S's that is already found on the 2011's with the sport button on?

I really like that feature of the 2011's and it would be great to add it to my future used Cooper S that I am hoping to purchase later this year.

From my untrained eye (and brain), it seems like the 2011 exhaust setup is exactly the same and MINI just added the burble/pop via software...

I would say no. Mine does not do it. I think it is a special added in program. I do not think it is a check the box thing like some of the other coding things like auto open/close sunroof or windows go up with key fob.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Second on this burble...

I dont hear any change there, and actually have the JCW factory exhaust fitted too.

Originally Posted by walk0080

Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
I just got a call from the service manager who contacted Mini directly. 2.41 will not work on my JCW which is a 2010 as it has a different steering controller supposedly. Do i call BS on this? I find it hard to believe that this is the case. Anyone with a JCW 2010 get this to load and work? I really want it, the streets in chicago are f'd up enough to make steering a challenge. Thanks!

P.S. factory JCW, not build-up fwiw.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Originally Posted by peeti
I just got a call from the service manager who contacted Mini directly. 2.41 will not work on my JCW which is a 2010 as it has a different steering controller supposedly. Do i call BS on this? I find it hard to believe that this is the case. Anyone with a JCW 2010 get this to load and work? I really want it, the streets in chicago are f'd up enough to make steering a challenge. Thanks!

Scroll back to post #40 in this thread. He didn't mention the specific version, but confirms the update on a factory JCW.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Yep. I saw that post - unfortunately without specifics on what was done it's a killer. Kind feel unloved and unable to do anything at this point. The car is still great obviously, but it sure would be good not to have to worry about hitting something while accelerating and skating on potholed streets :D

So if anyone has any solid how to I can pass on to the dealer please do share.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any new updates on this? Very interested....

Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by peeti

Install the NM Torque Arm Insert. It helps with this issue as well and is a cheap solution. I've spent way too much time trying to work with my dealer on the software update and gave up.

Todd

Quick Reply: Torque Steer elimination retrofit!!!!!