Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Would you buy your JCW again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here I am 10 months later and working on selling my SSR & 02 Procharged Stang to buy a JCW convert. I'm enjoying my MCSC 100% and will keep it.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teibito
Tell me more about the Star Specs please. How is the turn in and on center response? I know that are touted as track/street tires. Are they OK in the rain?
I see I never answered this one.

The Star Specs are great tires, very responsive all around, stick like glue on the twisties, and don't snap out when near the limit. They are fine in the rain over the first year, but as they wear I compensate just because they look like they won't shed water as well as when new.

Now if I can just find an inexpensive way to get onto the wet skid pad at Lime Rock....

Winter on the Star Specs... yikes. I took Nikki up to Killington for spring skiing when the roads were mostly clear. Hit a bit of road ice and she's an instant hockey puck. The overall handling declined in the cold temps, too (obviously).

I'm just about ready to buy another set after a bit more than 10,000 miles. YMMV, as I hammer the heck out of them.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
meckonica
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcw clubman 70k

Well, I am here to report my JCW Clubman is 2 years old this week and has 70K on the clock.

I fixed the speedo error with 225X40-18 tires now at 80mph and above the error is less than 1/2 mph. as the tires wear the error grows.

My JCW factory brake pads have been in a box since mile 15. i got my first set from:
Dustin Etheredge, MINI Guru & AutoX Champion
> M-F 7-6 847-265-5440 or cell 312-388-4263
> www.AutoXCooper.com www.theEUROshopinc.com
which went to 55K and little to no dust.

The second set I got from
David Zeckhausen
zeckhausenracing.com
these pads look exactly like the factory pads with the counter weights and DO NOT SQUEEL and has very little to dust.

i have had an:
03 S 67K in two years - traded for 09 JCW
09 JCW Coupe 30K in 10 months - Traded for 09 JCW Clubman
09 S Vert 5K (wife's car) in two years - Still Have
09 JCW Clubman 70K in two years - still have

We are going to get a Countryman for the wife in 2012 and the 2 door countryman for me in when it comes out. we will be keeping the two 09s we currently have when we get the new ones.

Attached Thumbnails Would you buy your JCW again?-img_0800-1.jpg   Would you buy your JCW again?-img_0795-1.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
In a heartbeat.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My JCW, no problem, or problems. Just rolled over 6K and gives me the most for the performance I feel. Getting over 35 mpg on the highway, actually closer to 37, and 31 on expressway and in town driving. I can't ask for more. The performance, well as one use to say about Rolls Royces in the 60s, more than sufficient.

No brake dust that I can detect, I got rid of the runflats after one month with Michelin ICE for the winter and Hankook Aventi on now for the summer. Love the Lil Guy. I intend on putting on H&K springs soon and next year going with Enkei wheels in black.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Nice fleet, Meckonica!

My JCW has Carbotech racing pads that I bought from Dustin. They are outstanding but noisy when creeping along at a light, etc. and dirty as hell. But WOW, it's just so easy to face-plant your passenger ... a bit of value-added entertainment that's not listed on the box. I finally ditched the drilled and slotted rotors that I was going through because of cracking (with both MINI and Carbotech pads) and now run slotteds exclusively, even though I don't track drive my MINI anymore.

I run Carbotechs on my SCCA Formula Vee racecar. No better pads out there, IMHO.

Suddenly, I'm thinking about heading out to the garage tonight and finally installing the brake duct kit on the MINI. They're not doing a lot of good in the box.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
no for me. this is my 2nd mini, I had a 05 r53 JCW before this. In Australia mini is a premium brand, this one cost me almost $60 000 on road. the build quality and service is terrible for what you pay, plus the service and spare parts costs. Also I am a bit over the front wheel drive and lack of traction and torque steer.
i am not bagging them and I absolutely love my mini and it is very rare on the road where I live and very fast for what it is. i love taking it out to the twisties on the weekend and then it is very comfortable for long drives.
In the end, I love it but next time round I want to try something different.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Second Look

So, my '09 PW JCW is two years old now. Looking back on my original post on this thread, my views have changed a little. I've really come to love this car. I did spend some extra $$$ to get the handling where I like it, but I spent a lot more than that on my '03 MCS trying to make it into a JCW.

This car does nicely as a daily commuter. It's zippy, fun to drive, handles well, and the ride will not jar you to death. When the Sport mode is off, and traction contol is on it will get 29 miles per gallon average city/highway back and forth to work.

Turn on Sport mode on and traction control off, and this car transforms into a little beast. Something happens to the mapping and the exhaust pops and crackles and that always brigns a smile to my face. The car is well suited to the occasional track day, an autocross event, or a rally with the local MINI club. I've driven it at 9/10ths and still feel like there is more it can give (if I only had the driving skill of a Stig). Even when beating on the car, I can't get the mileage to drop below 25 mpg.

With the bumper to bumper warranty and no cost maintenance, it has been relatively inexpensive to maintain for a performance car. I'm even thinking of buying the extended warranty and keeping the car for at least six years and 100,000 miles.

Last edited by Teibito; 06-30-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
I will get another one. Currently looking for a Countryman WRC if it ever comes out.

I drive the WC50. Driving to work, soccer practice and games, etc. I have been getting 33-34mpg calculated. Never below 28 even when hammering the car. Mainly suspension mods on my car make it a total blast to drive.

Wife also loves her JCW Clubbie. She might go to a Countryman JCW but is worried that she will miss the flickability of the smaller car. Mainly performance mods here as you can't drop the kids off late to school. Intake noise and BOV in the school pickup line is always a laugh.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
I will get another one. Currently looking for a Countryman WRC if it ever comes out.
You can already buy one, for about $500k

Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
You can already buy one, for about $500k
I know. I got the Prodrive material when they sent it out. I was looking at a group N Subaru several years ago and still am on the mailing list. It would be fun but out of my racing budget currently.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
I love my car, but I expect that when the three years of warranty is up, I'll be trading. I really love the car. It's quick and handles relatively well, but I'm already missing RWD and I worry about the long-term reliability. I'll most likely either go back to Mazda if they have a higher-horsepower Miata by then, or I'll go Porsche and get a Cayman or Boxster S.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 PM
chinaleeexports
1st Gear
When I first asked this question and after getting the responses, I ended up buying my 2nd Mini and first JCW. I ordered it, got it, had fun for 6 months or so then sold it to a fellow Mini lover. What a fun, quick car as you all know, but when the wife did not want our MBZ C63, I took it over and due to garage space, I sold the JCW. We had the C63 for a very fun 30 months and 13,000 miles then sold it...unfortunately, I have a bad habit of loving cars so I bought another car to replace the C63. Now the car of the month is a Bentley GT with a Mansory kit...a nice fast, heavy car...but to answer my own question, I will own another Mini later due to the quick, fun and nimble experience...see you all soon, please wave as you pass me in the corners!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
My JCW, no problem, or problems. Just rolled over 6K and gives me the most for the performance I feel. Getting over 35 mpg on the highway, actually closer to 37, and 31 on expressway and in town driving. I can't ask for more. The performance, well as one use to say about Rolls Royces in the 60s, more than sufficient.

No brake dust that I can detect, I got rid of the runflats after one month with Michelin ICE for the winter and Hankook Aventi on now for the summer. Love the Lil Guy. I intend on putting on H&K springs soon and next year going with Enkei wheels in black.
These ones for winter? Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Had to help a friend go test driving the other day at Subaru. I previously had a 2006 WRX so I figured after driving the 2011s I'd want to swap my MINI in. Drove the WRX, STI, Legacy 2.5GT, and the Outback and after all of that the best drive of the day was the one home in my 2009 JCW. Its nice to know that after all these months and new models, I still made the right choice. Fell back in love with my JCW.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Every once in a while I go test drive cars just to see if there's anything else I'm interested in. Most recent have been the new STI and new EVO. For how much hype those cars always get I was really disappointed. I'm so happy I haven't found anything to replace my JCW.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Every once in a while I go test drive cars just to see if there's anything else I'm interested in. Most recent have been the new STI and new EVO. For how much hype those cars always get I was really disappointed. I'm so happy I haven't found anything to replace my JCW.
Yes, I'd buy my 2011 JCW again, as right now I can't think of any other car that can do what my Lil Guy. Great gas mileage 37.5 last trip to Kansas City, plus performance. It constantly surprises me, and also a few others on the highway.

8500 miles so far, and I can't REALLY think of anything bad, or that I'd change. Sure, I'd love to have a built in GPS, but for $1750, I'll pass. I could, maybe have a color change, but that's about it. Still haven't made any changes, to speak of yet, and still have the H&R springs in the basement. Maybe I should have gone with the $1500 JCW suspension that the dealer offered.

Also, to think that it was just one year ago right now that I was anxiously waiting for my build number. Yes, I'd do it all over again.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
These ones for winter? Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Yes, the Michelin ICE for the winter, and they worked very well. Hard to believe, but in another six weeks I'll need to think about remounting them on my Black Challenge Wheels again.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Yes, the Michelin ICE for the winter, and they worked very well. Hard to believe, but in another six weeks I'll need to think about remounting them on my Black Challenge Wheels again.
I use these too and love them here in Chicago. Wife and daughter have blizzaks on theirs.

Would I buy again? After 9 months and 18k, yes I would. I'd also opt for the JCW suspension, otherwise nothing changes for what is my daily driver.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Jack$0n
4th Gear
Yes!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 AM
PatM
6th Gear
I have the JCW Coupe coming and I hope I feel as most posters did on this thread. I should have it in about 3.5 weeks or so.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear

37 on the highway? I usually average 28 on the highway and about 23 in the city. (I tend to have a heavy foot).

If I drove it like an old lady, I may get 31 on the highway.

And in answer to the OP, I’ve got almost 40K miles on Oscar and he’s been through hell and back but damn skippy, I’d buy him again!

Mark

Old 09-18-2011, 08:36 AM
PatM
6th Gear
I can't get 37 on the highway in either of our MCS, auto and 6 speed. We don't go by the computer we manually calculate because it's much more accurate. Best we can get is 30 for the manual and 32 for the automatic.

I always wonder I people get that high of gas mileage. Maybe in a Justa?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I can't get 37 on the highway in either of our MCS, auto and 6 speed. We don't go by the computer we manually calculate because it's much more accurate. Best we can get is 30 for the manual and 32 for the automatic.

I always wonder I people get that high of gas mileage. Maybe in a Justa?
I dunno but Hemisedan has a JCW...

Mark

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 AM
PatM
6th Gear
I know that makes it even more bizarre!

Quick Reply: Would you buy your JCW again?