Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Would you buy your JCW again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
RocknRolla
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyrgtw
Maybe my opinion doesn't carry as much weight - as I have only had the car for 5 weeks (2500 miles); but I would DEFINITELY buy this car again (and again and again...). This is the most fun vehicle I have owned; and ranks right up there with some exotics I have driven ("World Class Driving" program). I'm coming off a BMW550i Sport. The JCW wins hands-down. I'm expecting some problems; but haven't seen any yet. Even if they do surface - I'm sure whatever it is can be worked out. Bottom line - I look for an excuse to drive the car every day and always come away with a grin.
Enjoy your car. You will have no regrets!
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I'm going to approach your question from a slightly different angle. To me, you're asking if you (or I) would buy another MINI? If the answer is yes, then the JCW factory is the ultimate MINI currently available, so if you can afford it why not? If you're not sure about what car in general you want I can't help you. Personally, I want what I want. I'm a car guy and I've had lots of them. I'm on my third MINI since 2005 and my 16 month old JCW already has 25K miles on it. Since I started my MINI buying, they've also shared the garage with an E46 M3, an Audi A3, a Porsche Cayman S, and now a BMW MZ4 Coupe, all very different cars bought for different reasons, but all because I wanted them. Yesterday, on the way home from a 500 mile round trip in my JCW, with two mountainbikes on the roof, I couldn't think of a more fun car with the amount of utility that the MINI has. I can carry all the crapola needed for a roadtrip for two, maybe three if we really squeezed, still get decent gas mileage, and fun to drive. Although it would be more "practical" you will never, never, never see a SUV or truck in my driveway. Until something else comes out that shares its capabilities and SURPASSES its dynamics, I will have a JCW in my collection. Price be damned, if you want it, you want it.
It's nice to hear comments like these. I currently have a heavily modded 2009 e92 M3 which I love driving, but I kept it parked in my garage over the winter, which is a first for me with any vehicle. I think during that time, I really started to question having a car sitting, not being enjoyed. Since it is lowered with a Vorsteiner front lip, it would not be suitable for winter driving here in my western Canadian city.

I have test driven a Clubman Cooper S a few times and each time it left a big grin on my face...the kind I had after I test drove my original e46 M3 and then the e92. I am currently looking at stripping the mods to part out on my M3 and trade in the M3 for the mini. Right now, I am trying to figure out if I want to get a Clubman or the original coupe, and decided whether Cooper S or JCW. Coming from the M3, I am thinking JCW.

Thank you to the OP for an excellent topic, and to all who have responded.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
spinned
4th Gear
If you are into modding, you will lower the JCW too, so you better keep that garage space open.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
GreyLens
2nd Gear
Yes! And I'll drive it till I'm dead.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GreyLens
Yes! And I'll drive it till I'm dead.
Me too!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chinaleeexports
If you had a "do over card" would you buy your JCW again, or would you buy another car? With the talk of the window/reflash issues, possible quality issue of punch seats and possible new engine updates, would you buy your car again? I am going to pick up my JCW in a few weeks and would like your inputs. Thanks
ABSAFREAKINLUTELY!!!!

This is my 4th mini in less than 2 years. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone directly with the JCW.

Mark

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 AM
juliansorl
Banned
How does one go through four minis in 2years?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Sinovac
Neutral
I would. I really enjoy the driving experience. However, I was expecting better quality considering it is a BMW product and is sold at a premium price. I'm surprised at how cheaply made some of the parts are.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
WestonJCW
3rd Gear
Agree 100%.
Great drive but not so great build quality:
1.Melted bonnet scoop(x2).
2.Boot rattle
3.Exterior chrome line in boot area came off.
4.Horrible windshield wipers
5.Windshield washer hoses keep dislodging
6.Iphone-bluetooth connectivity,good luck somebody actually hearing what yuo're saying.

All of these nuisances have been taken care of under warranty and i get the "yeah,that always happens"line by the service dept.
Really? If they happen all the time how come they haven't been fixed?
Very entertaining,with the best soundtrack of any car under 50k,incredible handling and great looks,but should be better built.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
chinaleeexports
1st Gear
I am expecting a few "quirky" issues down the line; however, I am use to "quirky" car issues....I also own a Range Rover....

Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I've had my JCW for 13 months now and have had zero issues with it. No cold start chatter, no power window issues, no issues whatsoever. I would absolutely get it again. I have yet to drive anything else that has this level of fun factor in every day driving and I can't wait to get it to the Solo II track. I was worried that I'd regret selling my WRX to get the MINI but it was the best car decision I've ever made. The only mod I've made is to install the auto sport button since I never drive it in normal mode.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
grizzy727
1st Gear
Yeah Im coming from a 500hp 2008 M5 and Im seriously considering a JCW-- I had a 2003 MCS for 8 months but thats a different story.
I love cars and the overall driving experience-so the mini is the whole package
Mike

Old 05-30-2010, 05:42 PM
meckonica
1st Gear
I did.

I went from an 03 S to an R56 JCW really wanted the clubman JCW but there weren't any with enough options to satisfy my taste.

After 11 months and 30K i traded my 09 R56 JCW for an 09 R55 JCW now after 32K in the JCW Clubman, total of 62K JCW miles, I can't see getting any mini that wasn't a factory JCW!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Short answer: Absolutely (bearing in mind, too, that I've personally only owned mine for ~9 months)!

Long answer: My JCW Clubman is as well-built and as much fun to drive as any car I own -- including a C5 Corvette. If you were to force me (under pain of death) to choose between the two, it would probably come down to a coin toss; while both are driver's cars, for certain, I'm drawn to each vehicles for somewhat different reasons.

Under the heading of raw performance, the advantage clearly goes to the C5. In a straight-line race, the C5 will run away from a JCW. That being said, in a turning duel I seriously believe the JCW would stay with a C5 (until a straight-away); ultimately, I don't see the JCW beating it, but it would definitely give the C5 something to worry about in the turns. And, well, let's face it: the C5 is just plain sexy; MINI's are often described as "cute," but never "sexy..."

But for practicality-without-sacrificing-fun, the JCW Clubman wins easily. While the C5 has relatively good cargo space and fuel economy (I've seen 30 mpg on the highway, but city mileage is about as you'd expect), the JCW Clubman easily trumps it on both counts there. Plus the JCW Clubman has the added flexibility to carry four people, whereas you'll never get more than two [legally] into a C5. And if I had to choose one or the other to drive in the snow, well, hand me the keys (er, key fob) to the JCW Clubman. Yes the C5 has traction control -- good traction control; but it's still a raging torque beast that will swap ends on you in a heartbeat if you give it the chance...

One final thought on the C5 vs. JCW topic: I suspect that the C5 will demonstrate a key advantage over the JCW in long-term ownership costs; Chevy/GM parts (or quality substitutes) are probably easier to find and more inexpensive than MINI/BMW parts...

Last edited by timfitz63; 07-11-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
WC50 408
4th Gear
Absolutely and I DID. I bought an 09 in sept of 08 and will have my new 2010 JCW in about 3 weeks.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Yes we would.
Went from a S vert to a JCW Clubbie 1 year ago. Added a WC50 to become a two MINI household last week.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Works Clubman
1st Gear
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would not. Reason being, I have never had two of the same anything. After a few years, I get bored with cars. Next one might be a Caddy CTS-V.

The JCW Clubbie is a great car (for now). It fits what I wanted (now). Who knows what I'll want down the road.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 AM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Definitely would buy again. I went from a modded E36 M3 to an 09 JCW. I thought the M3 brakes were phenomenal until I drove the JCW. I had Bilstiens sports, Eibach springs, and RD sways on the M3. I miss the compliance and will likely get some Bilstien sports (which for some reason are dirt cheap for this car) and NM springs next for the JCW but the despite this the JCW is already more fun to drive out of the box although it is debatable which one is faster on L.A's horrible roads. Run flats need to go before I get myself into trouble and ricochet into something solid. My wife has the R53. Before We got the R56 (and I was driving the M3), I wanted that R53 really bad. Now when I have to drive her car I don't like it nearly as much. R56 just has faster reflexes, more power, better handling better mileage too. I love being able to haul *** and still get over 30 mpg. This is the only car I have ever had that I really want to just get in and go drive it somewhere fun even if I have no business going there. The M3 was fun blasting to work and back but I never found myself jumping in and going canyon scratching.

Last edited by smoke05S; 07-16-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Works Clubman
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would not. Reason being, I have never had two of the same anything. After a few years, I get bored with cars. Next one might be a Caddy CTS-V.

The JCW Clubbie is a great car (for now). It fits what I wanted (now). Who knows what I'll want down the road.
Understood. Mine is my 8th vehicle in 38 years, representing 5 countries. I have felt the same way, but the MINI could change my mind...

Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Works Clubman
1st Gear
All that being said, I still grin from ear to ear after a drive in it!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Works Clubman
All that being said, I still grin from ear to ear after a drive in it!
Amen.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
antares298
Neutral
Absolutely...I have an 09 jcw and with some of the audio/nav and interior updates coming with the refresh, along with some regrets on things I didn't get (rear fogs, aero kit, xenons) I might have to go for an early trade in and get another JCW :P

Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES. I would probably add a couple more options though.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Hmmm

I so much enjoy driving this car. I've had it for one year with 16k miles.

It's quicker off the line, faster at high end accelaration, handles better, has more torque, has more horsepower, stops quicker, is more comfortable, gets better gas mileage, sounds better, and is safer than my 2003 MCS.

The only knock on the car is that the increased horse power does create more torque steer, and at times, this can feel a little dangerous when accelerating hard in tight situations.

I would by another MINI in a minute. I'm already thinking about the roadster in a few of years.

Last edited by Teibito; 07-19-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Honestly, I don't think I would go with the JCW if I had it all to do again. Sure, it's fun to drive, relatively quick, returns excellent fuel economy, has distinctive styling and is relatively practical... But, the build quality is highly disappointing, the suspension tuning leaves a lot to be desired when driven aggressively (while not returning a very supple ride when cruising either) and the torque steer is tiresome. It would be a heck of a car at around $25k, but at $35k moderately optioned (no leather, no nav, no sunroof, standard radio, standard suspension) it's overpriced. If the build quality or materials were better than a $12k Aveo, the premium price might be warranted. The mix of styling, performance and fuel economy are pretty unique, but I think I'd be willing to sacrifice the fuel economy part to get a car that's better built and has better performance.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 AM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Price be damned, if you want it, you want it.
You said it. Case closed.
OK...I bought an MCSC as my first MINI. There were no JCWC around at the time and the price rattled my cage ....but I would have bought one with an HK and LSD. I only had my Coop a short time and would like to buy another
....and it will be a JCW. Good thread. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Would you buy your JCW again?