Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

First Service Appointment

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Service Appointment

I took my 2009 JCW for its first service visit last Friday and am happy to say that the service department at Classic Mini still rocks!

I had the JCW cold start engine chatter/rattle issue. The service folks knew exactly what the problem was and replaced the chain tensioner while it was in. No problemo.

I also had the JCW intake and front strut bar added as well. I'm kind of grumpy that the intake wasn't included on the 09 JCWs, but oh well, I'm happy I have it now. I've got no hard numbers, but the sound and perceived power of the car has changed for the better. They apparently did some programming after they added the intake as well.

In case you were wondering, the new intake box looks almost exactly the on the outside except for the JCW branding.

I've got 3500 miles on it, and the only issue was easily fixed. I am a very happy 09 JCW owner.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
How much was the intake?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
Intake Cost

$276.95 + $29.95 bucks for the gasket from Classic Mini.

Install for both the strut brace and the intake was bout $150 if I remember.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
FON
2nd Gear
You have a factory JCW and added the JCW kit air intake?

With what purpose?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
3500 miles and the mother ship called it in for service? I've got 12k+ on mine and I just received an email from my dealer. My car didn't alert me it needed service yet though.

Anything special about the JCW intake? I've never seen one mounted. Can you take some shots of it with the lid off? I know it has a round filter vs our flat "S" filters. The plumbing is the same its just the box is different right?

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 AM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FON
You have a factory JCW and added the JCW kit air intake?

With what purpose?
The 09 Factory JCWs do not come with the JCW intake. The intake that comes with the Factory JCW is the same one that comes on the S.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 AM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
3500 miles and the mother ship called it in for service? I've got 12k+ on mine and I just received an email from my dealer. My car didn't alert me it needed service yet though.

Anything special about the JCW intake? I've never seen one mounted. Can you take some shots of it with the lid off? I know it has a round filter vs our flat "S" filters. The plumbing is the same its just the box is different right?

Thanks.
The reason for service at 3500 was the cold start rattle/chatter. Even though the service guys had told me it wouldn't cause any damage to the engine, I preferred getting it fixed sooner than later.

Nothing horribly special about it from visual perspective. Same plumbing on the outside, but the inside of the box is much different and it does have the round filter. I should have taken pics of it when I had it open. I have to remove the strut brace bar to get the top off easily.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 AM
thern
Neutral
My husband and I are thinking of adding the intake and strut brace as well. I'm a little nervous about doing things that may void the warranty. We want everything JCW...and we will have a MINI dealership do the install. Do you know if it affects the warranty in any way? Thanks!! I bet you are enjoying it

Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 AM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thern
My husband and I are thinking of adding the intake and strut brace as well. I'm a little nervous about doing things that may void the warranty. We want everything JCW...and we will have a MINI dealership do the install. Do you know if it affects the warranty in any way? Thanks!! I bet you are enjoying it
No warranty issues since they were OEM parts installed by the dealer.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by thewebgeek
The reason for service at 3500 was the cold start rattle/chatter. Even though the service guys had told me it wouldn't cause any damage to the engine, I preferred getting it fixed sooner than later.

Nothing horribly special about it from visual perspective. Same plumbing on the outside, but the inside of the box is much different and it does have the round filter. I should have taken pics of it when I had it open. I have to remove the strut brace bar to get the top off easily.
Ah, cool. No worries then. I'm sure you have better things to do than take pictures of a stupid filter anyway