Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

The Dreaded Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
mrmrsjackson
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short cycled oil change at 3000 miles and I have not had any issues. Been getting down around 20's here.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
rotohead
Neutral
Hi,
just wondering it it's a moisture condensation problem which prevents the oil pump from functioning. Could moisture be condensing on an electrical connection? Moisture condensation is common at night, and especially after rain/car wash.

Marty

Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 AM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
If I keep seeing posts like this one... I will never buy a Mini till they find a suitable replacement engine.. However maybe another test drive of a JCW and ill just say "who cares it should be covered under waranty." I just read someone post where its not really going away... and Ching Gow how can five minutes of this noise be acceptable? I was paranoid when my brand new 2004 Mustang MAch1 was making alittle noise in the higher rpms due to that 5-20w oil. Hopefully the rumour of they will have a "fix implimented in january" will be a cure...

Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by guywhomaybuyamini
If I keep seeing posts like this one... I will never buy a Mini till they find a suitable replacement engine...
Not sure about a whole new engine, but there is a growing cadre of potential Gen 2 S and JCW customers--including me--that are waiting patiently on the sidelines and positively will NOT pull the trigger until there is a clear and verified root cause along with some sort of mitigating update/fix.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
scotteast
Old School!
It's hard for me to imagine anything making that much noise and not damaging something.

Last edited by scotteast; 03-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Having read through this and a few of the related threads, it seems strange that this seems to be a problem primarily or exclusively with the turbocharged cars.

If this is the case, it seems considering the differences between the two engines would be a step in the right direction toward a fix.

For instance, if the Cooper uses a different oil pump or timing chain tensioner than the Cooper S/JCW.

Just a thought.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
redevil
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My check engine light went on when I started my Mini the other day. My Mini did not want to shift out first gear and rpm's was fluctuating up and down.

Dealer said, code was for throttle condensation (which caused ice to form in the throttle housing)? It is the second time is has happened. First time the CEL went off and the car drove properly after. Anyone else have this issue?

It has been really cold here in Calgary for the last week.

Last edited by redevil; 12-18-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:11 PM
markr
1st Gear
I've already posted in another thread. So to keep it short, my '09 JCW is doing the same thing. I sent an email to the service manager at Passport Mini to see what his thoughts. I included a link from another similar thread. Hopefull I'll get some feed back.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Danyes
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Service guys know how to check for the problem now, so you shouldn't have a problem getting it fixed.

I went in for my first scheduled service a few months ago and told the Service advisor I had been hearing the noise. The tech was able to see that it was out of spec and they fixed it with no questions. He also told me that depending on how out of whack the components are the deeper they have to go to fix it. Apparently mine was pretty far out, and it took them a full 2 days to get it torn apart and put back together.

The good news is that it is fixed and I haven't heard the noise since. Unfortunately I just noticed my hood scoop has started to dip, looks like it is time for another call to NW MINI.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Krut
Try this... before you shutdown the car after your done driving (i.e., car is warmed up):
  1. Rev car to 3,000 RPM
  2. Push Start/Stop while car is rev'd to 3,000 to shutdown the car
  3. That should leave enough engine oil in the chamber to avoid cold start clatter issues.
YMMV.

Krut
Hmmm, where have I heard this before?? This seems to work, but only early on in the problem.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM
mini50
Neutral
engine clatter in 07 S

I have complained to my local bmw dealership on several occasions about the loud clattering engine noise on cold startups. I have personally overhauled several gm 350 small blocks and several Ford engines. If any of them had sounded like this after a rebuild I would have torn them back apart pronto.
My local dealership is giving me the run around. Its normal they say, that's pure crap, not engine in a sports car should make this kind of noise. I also have complained about the occasional backfire, that's normal they say. They must truly believe that everyone is stupid! My 07 S has bout 40K on it, and I'm worried if I don't get this issue resolved, then after 50K, I gues I'm SOL. I really like this car, it is a blast to drive, but I'm seriously considering selling it just to be rid of a problomatic vehicle. I had mine towed to the local dearlship in charlotte nc, after it rattled for two days straight, and of course when they received it, no problems found, please come and pick up your car. No company appears interested in standing behind their products these days. I should have bought a ford truck!!!!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
cappie
Neutral
I have had this happen but couldn't pinpoint why. Tonight, I moved the car into the garage from the driveway and parked it. My wife came out to the garage and said she was taking the Cooper shopping and when she started the engine, there was that hideous noise. So here I am finding out it is a "short start and stop" causing it. I am in Florida, so I am wondering if cold weather starts, which are normally noisier on any engine until it warms up, is unrelated to the "short start and stop" problem. I do believe MINI has a responsibility to find and fix these problems. Any engine that sounds that noisy, weather it has caused total engine failure or not, must be causing unnecessary wear on internal engine parts, and decreasing it's lifetime.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
dwayneis
Neutral
loud pop then smoke

my 05 MCS maid the noise yesterday and today 14 feb2011 boom. ahhh smoke everywhere. mini said that that they have had a few come in with the loud noise because of low oil. mine was good. not sure but i told my wife to watch here oil level in here 09MCS for now on.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mini50
I have complained to my local bmw dealership on several occasions about the loud clattering engine noise on cold startups. I have personally overhauled several gm 350 small blocks and several Ford engines. If any of them had sounded like this after a rebuild I would have torn them back apart pronto.
My local dealership is giving me the run around. Its normal they say, that's pure crap, not engine in a sports car should make this kind of noise. I also have complained about the occasional backfire, that's normal they say. They must truly believe that everyone is stupid! My 07 S has bout 40K on it, and I'm worried if I don't get this issue resolved, then after 50K, I gues I'm SOL. I really like this car, it is a blast to drive, but I'm seriously considering selling it just to be rid of a problomatic vehicle. I had mine towed to the local dearlship in charlotte nc, after it rattled for two days straight, and of course when they received it, no problems found, please come and pick up your car. No company appears interested in standing behind their products these days. I should have bought a ford truck!!!!
I agree with you regarding the engine noise/rattle. That is not "normal" I have also experienced it on quick stop and start situations. But, the infrequent backfire "through the exhaust" is quite normal. If you are getting backfire in the "intake manifold"; that is not normal.