Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

JCW Aero Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Aero Kit

I recently ordered and took delivery of a 2009 JCW and opted for the JCW Aero Kit. My questions are: 1. When the car is ordered with the optional aero kit, does it come to dealership with the stock front end, etc.? and 2. If the stock parts are taken off at the dealership to install the Aero Kit, shouldn't I be entitled to the stock parts?

Just a thought?

MsBrit

Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
05LiquidYellow
2nd Gear
I had my Aero kit in 05 put on with the purchase, it was installed at the dealership before delivery. I took the old parts and have them in my attic. However, I think they may now be installed at the factory. But if it was installed at the dealership, then they are your parts and they shood give them too you.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
The JCW Aero kit is not installed at the factory at all for U.S. cars, but it may be installed at the VDC in which case you won't get the removed parts. If the dealer does the install you should be able to request the OEM parts.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weard I was thinking of the same thing today.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Any parts taken off your car at the dealer you own. They are no core charges so if you want them, they should give them to you. Items installed at the VDC will not be available to you.

That said, I still have my bumpers and side skirts from my wifes 05 sitting in storage.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Motor Head
2nd Gear
There is a specific option for a pre-painted kit which the dealer can order into inventory and install for you. That way you can get the removed parts back (although I had to ask). If you request the non-painted kit, it may end up being installed at the VDC, which as others have said means you don't get anything back. The parts cost more pre-painted, but netted out about the same, as it included the 5 hours of installation labor and no painting was required. On the plus side, you also get a factory paint application.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor Head
There is a specific option for a pre-painted kit which the dealer can order into inventory and install for you. That way you can get the removed parts back (although I had to ask). If you request the non-painted kit, it may end up being installed at the VDC, which as others have said means you don't get anything back. The parts cost more pre-painted, but netted out about the same, as it included the 5 hours of installation labor and no painting was required. On the plus side, you also get a factory paint application.
When I ordered my JCW and inquired about the JCW Aero kit, it was about $300 more expensive if done at the dealer vs. having it done at the VDC. Something to keep in mind.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Motor Head
2nd Gear
Mine was $2,350 installed.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:24 AM
phlash
4th Gear
There is a specific option for a pre-painted kit which the dealer can order into inventory and install for you. That way you can get the removed parts back (although I had to ask).
Ooooooo that's a new one for me......Do you by any slim chance have the part codes for the pre-painted kit you got (I'm getting the same color). My thoughts were to have it shipped to the house and do the work myself. I have done it in the past, and have no problem taking this one on. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
I finally got an answer from my MA on the OEM parts taken off to be replaced with JCW Aero Kit:

"Yes you can have the stock pieces...just keep in mind they are not all in perfect condition."

I have a hard time accepting this as an answer....

MsBrit

Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Motor Head
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by phlash
Do you by any slim chance have the part codes for the pre-painted kit you got
Sorry - My MA didn't put the part codes on my order P+S documents but you wouldn't save anything on the labor doing it yourself as that price includes 5 hours of dealer installation time. One other option though is ordering it through Morristown Mini in PA, as they give a good parts discount (20% I think).

Old 10-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Motor Head
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MsBrit
"Yes you can have the stock pieces...just keep in mind they are not all in perfect condition."MsBrit
I went in the day that it was being installed to see them doing the work, met the tech, told him I was keeping the parts and thanked him - that might help. Mine were fine in that they were unscratched, but you can see minor marks on the various attachment points and the rocker panel covers had the glue backing from where they removed the sill covers - in all fairness, that may be what your MA is referring to. Of course, none of that would be visible if you reinstalled any of the parts.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:36 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MsBrit
I finally got an answer from my MA on the OEM parts taken off to be replaced with JCW Aero Kit:

"Yes you can have the stock pieces...just keep in mind they are not all in perfect condition."

I have a hard time accepting this as an answer....

MsBrit

For the most part, yes, the parts should be fine. The front and rear bumper should be fine as they bolt on but the rockers are a different story. They mount up "permanently" meaning the plastic bolts holding the rocker on will break to get the rockers off. There is a chance of some of the tabs will break rather then the plastic bolts.

I installed my own Aero kit. For me, getting the rocker off was the hardest part of the whole install.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 PM
phlash
4th Gear
Sorry - My MA didn't put the part codes on my order P+S documents but you wouldn't save anything on the labor doing it yourself as that price includes 5 hours of dealer installation time. One other option though is ordering it through Morristown Mini in PA, as they give a good parts discount (20% I think).
Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
mr_john73
1st Gear
Hey Guys,
i am looking for an aero kit for my MCS 03. any ideas where to get it from????

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
The JCW Aero kit is not installed at the factory at all for U.S. cars, but it may be installed at the VDC in which case you won't get the removed parts. If the dealer does the install you should be able to request the OEM parts.
Mine was installed at the VDC. But some additional suspension upgrades were done at the dealer so I got those parts in a box!!