F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Anyone running e85 mix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Skt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running e85 mix?

Like the title says, want to see if anyone running e85 yet. And what they have done to get to that point.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:32 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I run a mix of e85 and premium unleaded. I mix 2 gallons of it with 10 of premium (roughly).
I started doing it on Mariokart’s recommendation about a month before he did my ECU tune. It raises the octane a bit, where I get it at, the e85 is 105 octane and the premium is 93, so I figure I’m getting to around 94-95 octane when it’s all in the tank. The higher octane helps prevent knock and detonation. The car seems quite happy with it.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
same here - been on it solid for almost 1yr now (~13k miles in that time).

*I would keep your mix below 3ga of E85.. from my logs, the HPFP was maxxed out under boost & higher RPM. I did not see any timing retard or unusual readings.. but would not feel comfortable being that close to the operating limit of the pump. ECU seems very happy with ~2 - 2.25ga mixed into a full tank though. Small bump in timing advance as well as reduction in EGT @ WOT.

**Please remember though:

*fuel based oil dilution is real.. and worse with E85 than pump gas - DO NOT run your oil as long before changing (especially if youre on a high mileage engine where blow-by is more common)
*E85 drinks water! Do not use a blend if you let your car sit for days/week at a time.. you will be encouraging issues (more so in a humid/wet environment)
*If you are getting any cold stumbles or misfires, you may want to gap your plugs a bit tighter (OEM is ~.030 .. ive run between .020 and .024 with great results) you will be spraying more fuel and it does contain less energy per volume.. so spark gap is pretty critical
*You will be seeing a different AFR as E85 makes more exhaust gases vs pump.. dont be worried by the #'s you see. Instead - log LAMBDA. A 'good' mix should have you in the mid to high '7s' @ WOT (ie = .74 -.78). This would mean your measured AFR is still in the high 9's or 10:1 range
*E85 does NOT have lubricants in it! You will notice a bit more noise from your fuel injectors. Its a good idea to start some logs for your first few tanks.. so that you have some baseline data to compare against, should you start developing any hiccups running the blend.

Just to be clear - its only hard on your injectors and fuel pumps.. the rest of the engine benefits from it.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:21 PM
ventjock
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cornjuice
same here - been on it solid for almost 1yr now (~13k miles in that time).

*I would keep your mix below 3ga of E85.. from my logs, the HPFP was maxxed out under boost & higher RPM. I did not see any timing retard or unusual readings.. but would not feel comfortable being that close to the operating limit of the pump. ECU seems very happy with ~2 - 2.25ga mixed into a full tank though. Small bump in timing advance as well as reduction in EGT @ WOT.

**Please remember though:

*fuel based oil dilution is real.. and worse with E85 than pump gas - DO NOT run your oil as long before changing (especially if youre on a high mileage engine where blow-by is more common)
*E85 drinks water! Do not use a blend if you let your car sit for days/week at a time.. you will be encouraging issues (more so in a humid/wet environment)
*If you are getting any cold stumbles or misfires, you may want to gap your plugs a bit tighter (OEM is ~.030 .. ive run between .020 and .024 with great results) you will be spraying more fuel and it does contain less energy per volume.. so spark gap is pretty critical
*You will be seeing a different AFR as E85 makes more exhaust gases vs pump.. dont be worried by the #'s you see. Instead - log LAMBDA. A 'good' mix should have you in the mid to high '7s' @ WOT (ie = .74 -.78). This would mean your measured AFR is still in the high 9's or 10:1 range
*E85 does NOT have lubricants in it! You will notice a bit more noise from your fuel injectors. Its a good idea to start some logs for your first few tanks.. so that you have some baseline data to compare against, should you start developing any hiccups running the blend.

Just to be clear - its only hard on your injectors and fuel pumps.. the rest of the engine benefits from it.
Not sure what the MNI manual says, but for my F48 BMW it says that at max it can handle a 25% mix of ethanol. (https://mnbiofuels.org/media-mba/blo...he-2016-bmw-x1) I'm assuming this "max" includes a safety margin, so maybe the true max ethanol mix is much higher... but anyway.

The F48 has a 16 gal tank, so I did 3 gal of E85 and 13gal of 93 octane to give me an E24 mix. To combat the lack of lubricants would you recommend something like Lucas Oil ethanol fuel conditioner? What did you use to log and see that your HPFP was maxxed out?

Thanks!