F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 CarPlay Terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
CarPlay Terrible?

Is anyone else having trouble using CarPlay? It seems extremely sluggish and more trouble than it’s worth. Really shocked at how awful it is to use.

I’ve deactivated it, and I’m sticking with MINI’s system. Hope it’s fixed down the road.

Using it wirelessly, with an iPhone 6. Is it my phone that’s at fault?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 PM
jse75
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A dumb question but did you try powering off your phone and powering on again?
When we got our 2018 CM/S two weeks ago, we found the same thing - wireless CarPlay stuttered and was poorly responsive. I was going to post here about it too. But powering off the iPhone seemed to help it (a lot).

Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
Is anyone else having trouble using CarPlay? It seems extremely sluggish and more trouble than it’s worth. Really shocked at how awful it is to use.

I’ve deactivated it, and I’m sticking with MINI’s system. Hope it’s fixed down the road.

Using it wirelessly, with an iPhone 6. Is it my phone that’s at fault?
That's a big disappointment! I waited for this feature for the build too before I upgrade my iPhone 5S. Hope someone chimes in with their experience soon. Want to know what iPhone upgrade will fit the wireless charger. Pretty sure the "Plus" ones will be too big and the new iPhone 8 is a Q3 spec, not a Q1.

I'm back in the "dead silence zone" again Haven't heard a word from my MA yet! Pretty sure I won't be driving it this weekend now

Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Islandbluemini
That's a big disappointment! I waited for this feature for the build too before I upgrade my iPhone 5S. Hope someone chimes in with their experience soon. Want to know what iPhone upgrade will fit the wireless charger. Pretty sure the "Plus" ones will be too big and the new iPhone 8 is a Q3 spec, not a Q1.

I'm back in the "dead silence zone" again Haven't heard a word from my MA yet! Pretty sure I won't be driving it this weekend now
The 8 and the X will fit and will work, but not the 8 Plus.

I know! Same here. Well, the gas gauge is definitely a change worth waiting for 😉

Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
The 8 and the X will fit and will work, but not the 8 Plus.

I know! Same here. Well, the gas gauge is definitely a change worth waiting for 😉
Thanks for info on size fit of iPhones. I'll wait to check them both out when the X debuts first though. I thought only the Q1 specs worked with the charger. The 8 and X are Q3. So they will work okay?

MA just called and SE is now there. Will pick up on Monday Maybe I'll take a ride down there later today and check it out if I can stand waiting through the weekend!

Did we lose the orange backlights on the speedo and other instruments with the new fuel gauge change? I'll miss that if we did Keep us posted on reviews as you get more miles clocked

Old 09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for info on size fit of iPhones. I'll wait to check them both out when the X debuts first though. I thought only the Q1 specs worked with the charger. The 8 and X are Q3. So they will work okay?

MA just called and SE is now there. Will pick up on Monday Maybe I'll take a ride down there later today and check it out if I can stand waiting through the weekend!

Did we lose the orange backlights on the speedo and other instruments with the new fuel gauge change? I'll miss that if we did Keep us posted on reviews as you get more miles clocked

You can not wait to see your new car

I suggest you visit the dealership to check anything missing so that they can work on them. Also don't forget to take pics including the odometer before delivery. Don't forget to get all mats

You can still see orange backlight on the speedometer. However, the information is shown on the electronic display in orange and white. In fact, I like the commination and it is displayed clearly compared with old one

Not sure if you can check out the Countryman manual to read during the weekend. You will find some hidden treasures from the manual

Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pyuhlu
You can not wait to see your new car

I suggest you visit the dealership to check anything missing so that they can work on them. Also don't forget to take pics including the odometer before delivery. Don't forget to get all mats

You can still see orange backlight on the speedometer. However, the information is shown on the electronic display in orange and white. In fact, I like the commination and it is displayed clearly compared with old one

Not sure if you can check out the Countryman manual to read during the weekend. You will find some hidden treasures from the manual
Glad the orange backlight wasn't nixed completely! I'll probably go down there tomorrow and check the car out. Just going to kill me not to drive it this weekend Take photo of odometer?......Why....do you think they would offer test drives before I pick it up? Mileage should only be there for boarding transport only! What was your mileage at pickup?

Tried reading the manual online and it wasn't pleasant doing it that way. Will have to wait for the hard copy. I'm sure it'll keep me entertained at night LOL! Won't forget the mats!

Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Glad the orange backlight wasn't nixed completely! I'll probably go down there tomorrow and check the car out. Just going to kill me not to drive it this weekend Take photo of odometer?......Why....do you think they would offer test drives before I pick it up? Mileage should only be there for boarding transport only! What was your mileage at pickup?

Tried reading the manual online and it wasn't pleasant doing it that way. Will have to wait for the hard copy. I'm sure it'll keep me entertained at night LOL! Won't forget the mats!

Just want to know how new my car was. As the pic post before, mine had 4 miles and you need to let dealership place a note on the car that the car is sold and no test drives are allowed

I checked the car before delivery. You may need to spend more time to deal with the paper work and payment next Monday and you may forget something. Also, your dealership have time to handle with your concerns before payment is received. So check around and take pictures before delivery and recheck at the time of delivery

Old 09-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Just want to know how new my car was. As the pic post before, mine had 4 miles and you need to let dealership place a note on the car that the car is sold and no test drives are allowed

I checked the car before delivery. You may need to spend more time to deal with the paper work and payment next Monday and you may forget something. Also, your dealership have time to handle with your concerns before payment is received. So check around and take pictures before delivery and recheck at the time of delivery
I trust my dealership. I've been there before and they have a sold sign on customer cars. They might do a test drive as part of checking out that everything is working okay before scheduled appointment and I would expect that. Appointment approximately 1 1/2 hours to include signing paperwork and go over all the features of the car and answer any questions you might have. Might have the MA go with me for a short test drive before I leave though.

Going to be another long weekend though!

Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
I trust my dealership. I've been there before and they have a sold sign on customer cars. They might do a test drive as part of checking out that everything is working okay before scheduled appointment and I would expect that. Appointment approximately 1 1/2 hours to include signing paperwork and go over all the features of the car and answer any questions you might have. Might have the MA go with me for a short test drive before I leave though.

Going to be another long weekend though!

Also make sure your car is fully charged before delivery

Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Also make sure your car is fully charged before delivery
LOL!......You're a pistol!

Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been using the Carplay almost exclusively (with a 6s) since we got our car (about a month and a half now) and have had a few small issues, but overall, it's been working great. And the issues I have had were with Spotify... All the Apple apps (maps, music, etc) have worked great! The UI has not been sluggish for me at all...

Old 09-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iceknyght
I've been using the Carplay almost exclusively (with a 6s) since we got our car (about a month and a half now) and have had a few small issues, but overall, it's been working great. And the issues I have had were with Spotify... All the Apple apps (maps, music, etc) have worked great! The UI has not been sluggish for me at all...
That's nice to hear Maybe cell reception wasn't strong for darex?

I'll be sure to check all my moldings though! Geeze.....not great that they may blow off driving or just opening or closing the car door Maybe my first stop when I drive away with mine Monday will be to pick up industrial strength sticky-back tape

Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Not sure... But seeing as though I waited specifically for Carplay to order, I was not disappointed! And I love the wireless part!

I'll be sure to check all my moldings though! Geeze.....not great that they may blow off driving or just opening or closing the car door Maybe my first stop when I drive away with mine Monday will be to pick up industrial strength sticky-back tape
May not be a bad idea! LOL! The Service department ordered new trim for me, but I still haven't heard back... I'll be checking my interior ones tonight!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iceknyght
Not sure... But seeing as though I waited specifically for Carplay to order, I was not disappointed! And I love the wireless part!

May not be a bad idea! LOL! The Service department ordered new trim for me, but I still haven't heard back... I'll be checking my interior ones tonight!
And here I was worried about it arriving safely across the "big pond" and monster hurricanes Now we have to watch for falling moldings!!!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:16 PM
darex
5th Gear

It's not just sluggishness. Here's what you cannot do if CarPlay is running:
1) list tracks in your music on the HUD
2) use the radio's hard preset buttons at all

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
It's not just sluggishness. Here's what you cannot do if CarPlay is running:
1) list tracks in your music on the HUD
2) use the radio's hard preset buttons at all
I knew tracks wouldn't show up on the HUD. Think I saw that in one the the MINIUSA videos.

I'm sure I'll be on a big learning curve with all the new tech for a few weeks. Will let you know what I think about it when I finally get to play with it! At least I'll get to see it in the flesh tomorrow for the 1st time

How many miles have you clocked already?

Old 09-23-2017, 06:59 AM
darex
5th Gear
I knew tracks wouldn't show up on the HUD. Think I saw that in one the the MINIUSA videos.

I'm sure I'll be on a big learning curve with all the new tech for a few weeks. Will let you know what I think about it when I finally get to play with it! At least I'll get to see it in the flesh tomorrow for the 1st time

How many miles have you clocked already?
Having reverted to iDrive, I'm pleased to report that I can see tracks on the HUD and use my preset buttons, AND I can use MINI Apps (e.g. TuneIn and iHeartRadio) wirelessly and without launching MINI Connected. Yes!! Just what I was hoping for. No need for CarPlay now.

Miles? About 110 already. 😉

Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
[QUOTE=darex;4332156]Having reverted to iDrive, I'm pleased to report that I can see tracks on the HUD and use my preset buttons, AND I can use MINI Apps (e.g. TuneIn and iHeartRadio) wirelessly and without launching MINI Connected. Yes!! Just what I was hoping for. No need for CarPlay now.

Miles? About 110 already. 😉[/QUOTE

That's good news! Can't comment yet what I think about CarPlay yet until I get a chance to play with it.

Saw my new girl today and I love, love the color Checked out everything but photos were hard to get. Protective skin still on, dirty and parked close to enclosed fencing.

I did find the moldings wraps in the back between the back window and hatch window to be loose Will definitely let MA know about this on Monday. Lots of new 18's on the lot and they were super busy inside. Got to spend over an hour there this morning. Can't wait to see her cleaned up and be driving her home!!!

Enjoy your weekend and happy motoring!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
darex:

Below is link on how to revert back to IOS 10.3.3 for those that have upgraded to IOS 11.0 and are having issues with CarPlay. I have had to do this as I did not upgrade to the beta IOS 11.0. Learned the hard way before to wait it out and let them work out all the bugs first.

https://www.idropnews.com/how-to/dow...&utm_term=tapp

Old 10-15-2018, 12:16 PM
MiniDAL
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After driving the new 2019 F60 for a month, I really dislike that CarPlay can only using the ⅔ of the screen size, end up using the OEM Mini Nav more.

The following users liked this post:
NBCGLX (10-19-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:15 PM
BMacUC
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniDAL
After driving the new 2019 F60 for a month, I really dislike that CarPlay can only using the ⅔ of the screen size, end up using the OEM Mini Nav more.
I agree on the NAV but I love CarPlay for everything else. I drive a lot for work and like to listen to podcasts while driving. Also, I love being able to text and make phone calls hands free. I won’t buy another car without it!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:58 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BMacUC

I agree on the NAV but I love CarPlay for everything else. I drive a lot for work and like to listen to podcasts while driving. Also, I love being able to text and make phone calls hands free. I won’t buy another car without it!
While having the option of using Google Maps now is an improvement on the Apple Maps app, I also prefer Mini NAV. But I keep the screen split for it because one of the split screen options displays the next (and upcoming) navigation steps as well as turning info at intersections in the right side split... the HUD's display of upcoming steps is limited to the next step only and detail only begins to show for that step when there is 1 mile remaining before executing that step.

What irks me about CarPlay is that there is precious little real documentation about how to use it. I can't figure out how to get emails list to display in CarPlay (or also OEM Mini mode)... I'm thinking that this is just not allowed in the USA vehicles. Also playing iTunes music is a problem, at least for what I have figured out... I cannot get the complete play lists on the phone to display on the OEM Mini screen, so selecting what I actually want to listen to is a pain in the butt.

Otherwise, CarPlay is in use for calls and text messages and at least those functions are useful. The sound quality on the car's audio (speakers and microphone) is also very good for phone calls from my iPhone.

-Bob

Old 10-17-2018, 06:10 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 18cmjcw
While having the option of using Google Maps now is an improvement on the Apple Maps app, I also prefer Mini NAV. But I keep the screen split for it because one of the split screen options displays the next (and upcoming) navigation steps as well as turning info at intersections in the right side split
This, indeed! The split-screen NAV with the complete turn-by-turn on the right-hand side is super-useful to scroll through the next few steps.

I find myself using Siri through CarPlay to search for a location/business, then using the "Send to NAV" (or whatever it's titled) link onscreen to send the route to the MINI NAV.

Originally Posted by 18cmjcw
Otherwise, CarPlay is in use for calls and text messages and at least those functions are useful. The sound quality on the car's audio (speakers and microphone) is also very good for phone calls from my iPhone.
The first time I used the in-car bluetooth for the phone (before I installed/activated CarPlay) I was surprised at how good it sounded, and apparently sounds just as clear on the other end. The bluetooth phone audio in my Jeep sounded like each party was underwater.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
The only thing I don't like is that CarPlay is not integrated with the heads up display, other than that, I use it pretty much exclusively. I love that the Maps app will populate automatically with the info it has (if I had been searching on my computer before leaving about a place, or if it knows, via my calendar, that I have an appointment, the address populates and is waiting)! I use Spotify for music, and it had a BUNCH of issues at launch, but it has gotten better... And my wife calls me via the bluetooth connection everyday and it sounds great! Even if the windows are down! I've been impressed!

Also, it is annoying that it connects to the last phone connected to it rather than know which key is connected to which phone. My wife uses the car for the most part, but if I get in to drive, it switches all my settings over, via the key info, which is awesome, but it still connects to her phone and I have to manually switch it to mine if I want/need to use it... I am sure this is an Apple issue (probably not letting Mini access whatever it needs to access for that function)...

I really do wish there were more options available, but overall, it does what I need to do and usually without issues. My problems with it are pretty minor!