F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 JCW Tuning Kit with Exhaust Flap - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:11 PM
Elqueso2
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JCW Tuning Kit with Exhaust Flap - Worth it?

I have been toying arounnd with the notion of getting the JCW exhaust kit from Mini and having it installed on my 2018 All4 S. I know that included in the kit is a tuning upgrade they do to the ECM.
Its supposed to give about 18 HP and added torque. I've heard the system on a JCW Countryman and it sounded nice and wasn't horribly load inside the car moving dow the road. Is it worth the money and does it hinder the gas mileage at all...I figured with me it would, because I would have my foot in it more
Just looking for your thoughts and experience with it
thank you
Mike

Old 01-24-2023, 03:12 PM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Absolutely worth the money, $2k for an exhaust and tune that is backed by the manufacturers warranty is hard to beat. Hardly ever open up the flaps since it still sounds great without them.

The following users liked this post:
NBCGLX (01-27-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 03:35 PM
Elqueso2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Absolutely worth the money, $2k for an exhaust and tune that is backed by the manufacturers warranty is hard to beat. Hardly ever open up the flaps since it still sounds great without them.
Curious about the flap, thinking that because of the exhaust restiction; I would think it would run better open or am I wrong? Is there any difference in performance open/closed?
Also I'm sure you noticed the power increase but how is the fuel economy. Not that I'm too worried about it just curious on the gas mileage. When I put a "Race tuner" module on my Harley it gave me 10 more horse and I I only lost 2 MPG which it's bad.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:44 PM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Opening the flap makes it a straight pipe for the most part, without it open, it flows through the muffler. I doubt theres much difference in performance either way as the muffler doesn't seem that restrictive based on the sounds with it closed.

I had my system installed by the dealer before I took delivery but I doubt it changed the mileage at all. The thing that effects the mileage the most is your right foot, it's also a manual so it doesn't get as good of mileage as the automatic does anyway.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:23 PM
Elqueso2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Opening the flap makes it a straight pipe for the most part, without it open, it flows through the muffler. I doubt theres much difference in performance either way as the muffler doesn't seem that restrictive based on the sounds with it closed.

I had my system installed by the dealer before I took delivery but I doubt it changed the mileage at all. The thing that effects the mileage the most is your right foot, it's also a manual so it doesn't get as good of mileage as the automatic does anyway.
Thank you for getting back to me and the only other question is that it's not obnoxiously loud inside the car, meaning when you’re going down the highway you can talk to the person next to you and you’re your music…lol. I totally understand loud since my Harley is very load but surprisingly quiet cruising at 80. I drove a JCW Countryman as a loaner and it wasn’t bad at all inside tha cabin. I really like the sound of the exhaust and it was spicy when mashing down the peddle. I drive both vehicles like I stole them I bought it to have fun and it’s a blast to drive.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:57 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
The only way I'd say it's obnoxiously loud is if you open all of the windows and sunroof, put the vehicle in.sport mode and open the flaps. Then if you drive it obnoxiously and purposely downshift at higher rpms, it can be too much.

The following 2 users liked this post by ND40oz:
ECSTuning (01-25-2023), Mini-Titan (01-31-2023)