F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Manual transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual transmission oil change

My 2014 s 6 speed has 92k miles.

the dealer won't change the fluid under the service agreement so I am going to do it myself

I'm still shopping fluid but I feel like this isbthe best stuff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FGXB15O/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_5?smid=A3NWHGHN360KCD&psc= 1

anyone have a better idea?
I have heard that BMW mtf2 Is made by pentosin. But this is also a German company with even better stuff for cheaper.
I'm getting 3 quarts going to tilt it so I can get a little more in I hope.
I also got 2 magnetic plugs to replace the drain and fill plugs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5HDFT6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_1?smid=A2Y7J3VVCF64S3&psc= 1

Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Joel Unger
My 2014 s 6 speed has 92k miles.

the dealer won't change the fluid under the service agreement so I am going to do it myself

I'm still shopping fluid but I feel like this isbthe best stuff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FG...HN360KCD&psc=1

anyone have a better idea?
I have heard that BMW mtf2 Is made by pentosin. But this is also a German company with even better stuff for cheaper.
I'm getting 3 quarts going to tilt it so I can get a little more in I hope.
I also got 2 magnetic plugs to replace the drain and fill plugs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5...VVCF64S3&psc=1
I used Rowe that I had gotten from Pelican Parts. Don't know how you are going to tilt the car to put extra fluid in, but let me know how that works.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5HDFT6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_1?smid=A2Y7J3VVCF64S3&psc= 1

here's something similar.

if you raise the car from the direction of the filler hole the transmission will hold more fluid put the plug in before you put it down.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear

here's something similar.

if you raise the car from the direction of the filler hole the transmission will hold more fluid put the plug in before you put it down.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/2506617303.htm?pn=25066-173-03-INT&catalog_description=Manual%20Transmission%20Fl uid%20-%20MTF-LT-4%20-%20SAE%2075W-90%20%20%20%20%281%20Liter%29%20%20&SVSVSI=MF56

so this is the wrong viscosity for an f56 and it also seems to be not full synthetic. Doesn't seem right to me but you say it works?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I used Rowe that I had gotten from Pelican Parts. Don't know how you are going to tilt the car to put extra fluid in, but let me know how that works.
anything to the job you want to point out?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
anything to the job you want to point out?

My bad, thought I was responding in the R53 forum...

Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
FYI: You get no added benefit from having extra fluid in the gearbox. The level is figured based on where the gears sit inside the box, and where the fluid level is in relation to the gears and seals. Too much fluid can cause unnecessary leaking at the seals, or can get churned up and frothy from being agitated by the gears. Best practice is to lift the car level, and fill with fluid until it just starts coming out of the fill plug hole.

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
MiniTigger (06-20-2017), vetsvette (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
you get more fluid so it will hold more contaminents.

if this is the right stuff im going to do it every 30k miles though seems cheap

redline mtl at 75 80 costs the same same spec but something about it says its not compatible with an f56.
very few people have done this job and they all probably used bmw oil because we dont have any feedback

Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
you get more fluid so it will hold more contaminents.

if this is the right stuff im going to do it every 30k miles though seems cheap

redline mtl at 75 80 costs the same same spec but something about it says its not compatible with an f56.
very few people have done this job and they all probably used bmw oil because we dont have any feedback
More isn't always better, unless its ice cream or cupcakes.

If the gear oil gets frothy and churned up from the spinning gears, can actually be worse for lubrication. So, again, more isn't always better.

The gearbox is a sealed system, so there shouldn't be any contaminants anyway. That is also the reason Mini has no service interval for the gearbox.

Every 2 years, or 50,000 miles should be plenty as far as service intervals are concerned.

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
the getrag manual transmission in the f56 has 2 plugs for fill and drain like all other getrag transmissions you dont know what youre talking about dont post advice thanks

if fluid above the fill line caused whatever you think it does it might but actually the fill line is way below that to account for possible positions of the car.

fill it higher it will be cooler, it has more oil it will last longer.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
the getrag manual transmission in the f56 has 2 plugs for fill and drain like all other getrag transmissions you dont know what youre talking about dont post advice thanks
I see no need to get prissy about my comments. I know there are fill plugs, but if there was a concern for contaminants, there would be a pump and filter built into the system. There isn't a pump and filter, and it is considered a closed system. If you don't want my advice, fine.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisHarris (10-10-2022)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I see no need to get prissy about my comments. I know there are fill plugs, but if there was a concern for contaminants, there would be a pump and filter built into the system. There isn't a pump and filter, and it is considered a closed system. If you don't want my advice, fine.
im sorry im not trying to be rude to you as much as trying to find someone who has a little more experience in the dialogue.
Its tough in forums because sometimes the most active answerers are the ones who dont really know they are there to learn.
Because I might be one of the first people to do this job I want to help the people that follow with really educated advice.
this is a new car so no one has experience yet. putting in more oil is always good as long as its not too much. some manual transmissons could fit a whole quart more.
im not really positive on this one its all new territory but its not that different than the last models 6 speed. Definitely no one is an expert on it at this point lol.

youre sort of applying engine oil advice to gear oil. But if you can put more oil in its great.
A sealed system as in like a well whatever you said i dont get it its bad advice. you say its a sealed system which is why bmw doesnt have a service interval. what is a non sealed system? there are transmissions without drain plugs if thats what you mean it which case you need to drill one. but after some research i found this one is not like that. Theres something a little off about it it uses a different viscosity to the previous mini and the dealer doesnt change it so it might be something to try and screw up the home mechanic with the wrong fluid. Im not sure i wish i had some advice from someone who did it

FALSE, get out of here. No mechanic will ever tell you that
bmw doesnt have a service recomendation for this transmission because they want it to die lol. Not that any one has died yet not many have reached 100k miles i am on a very short list.
As time goes by I think a lot of people will be doing this.

the dealer charges 150 here in my area.

Last edited by Joel Unger; 06-20-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
people who have changed gear oil in their sports cars and trucks have been putting more in since the 50s.
but how much is different for every manual transmission.

more is always better. if less is better you can definitely put less lol.

its a gear box. more oil is cooler and holds more contaminants til the next change. too much can be bad, only someone really up on it knows the exact amount.

is the fill hole at level the best amount? never. it will always be less than the right amount. write that down cant possibly be

I believe i actually put 1.5 liters more in my toyota truck or it was a nissan truck.
if you can put in more and dont go over the point in the transmission that holds oil, its good. if theres a lot of capacity that no one fills, its huge.

Last edited by Joel Unger; 06-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
I never said there is no change interval for gearbox oil. I just said BMW/Mini doesn't have a recommended change interval.

I still think you are over analyzing this whole procedure, especially if you are considering changing the oil every 30,000 miles. Get the car lifted level, and fill until it comes out the fill whole. Done.

I think the only REAL question that needs to be answered in this thread should be which fluid is the right fluid?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=23_1227

this shows the fill plug but not the drain plug but its there.

eventually i will have to take a picture.

ill take a picture before i do anything to show people who want to do this someday. not soon im really busy

Old 06-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Joel Unger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I never said there is no change interval for gearbox oil. I just said BMW/Mini doesn't have a recommended change interval.

I still think you are over analyzing this whole procedure, especially if you are considering changing the oil every 30,000 miles. Get the car lifted level, and fill until it comes out the fill whole. Done.

I think the only REAL question that needs to be answered in this thread should be which fluid is the right fluid?
i a gree with you.

sorry for being rude. Im not sure im not sure if anyone in the world has used this fluid im listing theres also amsoil and others.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted By: StormRider
"Too much oil in a gearbox will cause the gears to "churn" in the oil more than necessary and create heat which can be excessive and beyond the capabilities of the respective oil cooling system to handle (i.e. oil coolers, air flow cooling over the case, etc) and result in thermal runaway of the oil. In extreme cases the internals can reach temperatures that will cause distortion/melting. It can also cause to much aeration in the oil which could be more than what the stock breather system can handle, which will reduce lubrication capabilities (foamy oil doesn't lubricate well).

Theres a fine line between effective cooling/lubrication and thermal runaway when oil system capacities are determined by the engineers."

"Correct, the extra oil will increase drag resulting in increased HP loss through the gear box. The extra HP will be absorbed into the gearbox as thermal energy resulting in higher lubrication temperatures. It usually takes testing to determine the optimum oil level and to develop the internal deflectors and such to make sure all gears and bearings have adequate lubrication."

I post these quotes because they are in line with what I was taught many years ago when I was just getting into cars. ('50 Mercury IIRC) Sometimes too much of a good thing is just... Too much.

The following 2 users liked this post by vetsvette:
2014MCS_Miami (08-16-2023), Minnie.the.Moocher (06-20-2017)
Old 10-22-2022, 02:30 AM
ChrisHarris
Neutral
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Originally Posted By: StormRider
"Too much oil in a gearbox will cause the gears to "churn" in the oil more than necessary and create heat which can be excessive and beyond the capabilities of the respective oil cooling system to handle (i.e. oil coolers, air flow cooling over the case, etc) and result in thermal runaway of the oil. In extreme cases the internals can reach temperatures that will cause distortion/melting. It can also cause to much aeration in the oil which could be more than what the stock breather system can handle, which will reduce lubrication capabilities (foamy oil doesn't lubricate well).

Theres a fine line between effective cooling/lubrication and thermal runaway when oil system capacities are determined by the engineers."

"Correct, the extra oil will increase drag resulting in increased HP loss through the gear box. The extra HP will be absorbed into the gearbox as thermal energy resulting in higher lubrication temperatures. It usually takes testing to determine the optimum oil level and to develop the internal deflectors and such to make sure all gears and bearings have adequate lubrication."

I post these quotes because they are in line with what I was taught many years ago when I was just getting into cars. ('50 Mercury IIRC) Sometimes too much of a good thing is just... Too much.
This makes a lot of sense. I'm replacing mine with Redline 75W-80 later today. Filling it level just till it starts to seap to keep it simple. Little sense adding more if how much more is such an unknown.