F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Buildind F56 2.0 DownPipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Boosted Blueberry F56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put me down for one

Originally Posted by MarioKart
I have more F series downpipes in stock. 7 of them will be Extreme Ceramic Coated Black by Friday.
Let me know if you would like to reserve one.

F series B46/48 Downpipe
My F 2.0 series DP's It's 2.75" 304 16G Stainless Steel, ported flange, mandrel bend piping and OEM size flare. Keeping and even 2.75 keeps the low end drivability, but makes great top end power and no freeway drone. The Extreme Ceramic can handle up to 2300F, important since the turbo reaches over 1600F+. Ceramic also protects for customers living, with salted winter roads
The flange is ported to align with factory turbos and to match the new growing market of hybrid turbos.
Expect about a 15-20% increase in sound, with a deep done.
They are $749 in the Extreme black finish and $649 in bare stainless finish, this includes tax and shipping in the US.

Also, my new batch of downpipes now have built in downpipes frequency bung on the second O2 sensor, so it won't trigger a non- cat CEL

Thank you
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
I would love to reserve a stainless dp. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Blueberry F56
I would love to reserve a stainless dp. Thanks in advance.
Send me an email and we can go over the little details. MarioPalza@gmail.com
Thank you
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-28-2017, 01:24 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm About to purchase a F56 jcw 2016 manual. I'm guessing this will fit the same as the MCS? and As soon as I purchase my car, I will order one of these ceramic dp. If you still have one in stock.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:07 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by djtomy
I'm About to purchase a F56 jcw 2016 manual. I'm guessing this will fit the same as the MCS? and As soon as I purchase my car, I will order one of these ceramic dp. If you still have one in stock.
It will for sure fit as along as you are a US JCW

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-29-2017, 04:05 PM
JellyBean13
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to tuning on a Mini so forgive me! I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into before I do this.

1. I noticed yours is a 2013. Will this DP work on my 2012 R56?
2. Is this a bolt-on piece?
3. Do I need to have a tune on the car before I install it?
4. Will the stock sensors work on the DP or do I need to get new ones?

Old 01-29-2017, 04:17 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by JellyBean13
I'm new to tuning on a Mini so forgive me! I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into before I do this. 1. I noticed yours is a 2013. Will this DP work on my 2012 R56? 2. Is this a bolt-on piece? 3. Do I need to have a tune on the car before I install it? 4. Will the stock sensors work on the DP or do I need to get new ones?
Hi JellyBean
This is for the 2014+ Mini, but I do the the R56 ones and they are completely bolt on.
Send me an email at MarioPalza@gmail.com
Thanks
Mario

Attached Thumbnails Buildind F56 2.0 DownPipe-image-49906893.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 10:35 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Incredibly frustrated at getting this downpipe installed. While I'm not full time mechanic I am very comfortable installing pretty much anything but this I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Everything was easy and smooth until it came time to put the new downpipe in its home. It took close to an HOUR it get it through the engine bay into the exhaust tunnel. Relieved that it was in there I thought it would be smooth sailing.

Nope i I was wrong. No matter what I do it will not sit flush against the turbo v band nor the two bolts that secure it to the engine block. The issue is that it is sitting on the heat shield that is under the downpipe. So amount of angling it will fix the issue.

So either the downpipe angles are incorrect or my car has a heat shield that is bent in ways that others aren't.

Now you are probably thinking why not just bend the heat shield. I thought of that too. Well in order to attempt that I need to remove the downpipe. After TWO hours I cannot get the downpipe even close to being removed. This is insane.

I can't get anywhere without removing the downpipe and the damn thing won't come out. Had other people try as well and it just refuses.

No no idea when I will be able to drive my car at this point.

FYI I have an automatic F55 S. Which I was told it would fit.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Perhaps it's the hangers? Mine were off... Had to bend in shape.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:51 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by trentiles
Incredibly frustrated at getting this downpipe installed. While I'm not full time mechanic I am very comfortable installing pretty much anything but this I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Everything was easy and smooth until it came time to put the new downpipe in its home. It took close to an HOUR it get it through the engine bay into the exhaust tunnel. Relieved that it was in there I thought it would be smooth sailing. Nope i I was wrong. No matter what I do it will not sit flush against the turbo v band nor the two bolts that secure it to the engine block. The issue is that it is sitting on the heat shield that is under the downpipe. So amount of angling it will fix the issue. So either the downpipe angles are incorrect or my car has a heat shield that is bent in ways that others aren't. Now you are probably thinking why not just bend the heat shield. I thought of that too. Well in order to attempt that I need to remove the downpipe. After TWO hours I cannot get the downpipe even close to being removed. This is insane. I can't get anywhere without removing the downpipe and the damn thing won't come out. Had other people try as well and it just refuses. No no idea when I will be able to drive my car at this point. FYI I have an automatic F55 S. Which I was told it would fit.
It's a tight fit but send me your phone number so I can get you some pointers. Email works better MarioPalza@gmail.com
mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning

Old 02-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Is it coated? If so, could you just take the heat shield off?

Old 02-19-2017, 09:15 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
I just went through all of this yesterday, exzact same thing. yes, you have to bend that heat shield that its hitting... The v clamp wont seal on the bottom part of the DP (at the top clamp) without the bend in that heat shield. Also get the bracket on the two studs, and barley tighten them so it wont fall off, go underneath, slide the two exhaust hangers almost off the rubber mounts attached to the vehicle. call me if you need more help 850.5984866

Incredibly frustrated at getting this downpipe installed. While I'm not full time mechanic I am very comfortable installing pretty much anything but this I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Everything was easy and smooth until it came time to put the new downpipe in its home. It took close to an HOUR it get it through the engine bay into the exhaust tunnel. Relieved that it was in there I thought it would be smooth sailing.

Nope i I was wrong. No matter what I do it will not sit flush against the turbo v band nor the two bolts that secure it to the engine block. The issue is that it is sitting on the heat shield that is under the downpipe. So amount of angling it will fix the issue.

So either the downpipe angles are incorrect or my car has a heat shield that is bent in ways that others aren't.

Now you are probably thinking why not just bend the heat shield. I thought of that too. Well in order to attempt that I need to remove the downpipe. After TWO hours I cannot get the downpipe even close to being removed. This is insane.

I can't get anywhere without removing the downpipe and the damn thing won't come out. Had other people try as well and it just refuses.

No no idea when I will be able to drive my car at this point.

FYI I have an automatic F55 S. Which I was told it would fit.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
I just went through all of this yesterday, exzact same thing. yes, you have to bend that heat shield that its hitting... The v clamp wont seal on the bottom part of the DP (at the top clamp) without the bend in that heat shield. Also get the bracket on the two studs, and barley tighten them so it wont fall off, go underneath, slide the two exhaust hangers almost off the rubber mounts attached to the vehicle. call me if you need more help 850.5984866
my exact issue. Thanks for the tips. I will be working on it Wednesday so hopefully I get it all finished.

the heat shield that it sits in that needs to be bent did you remove the shield from the engine bay? Seems really tough to bend due to placement

Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
my exact issue. Thanks for the tips. I will be working on it Wednesday so hopefully I get it all finished.

the heat shield that it sits in that needs to be bent did you remove the shield from the engine bay? Seems really tough to bend due to placement
I thought the same thing, no don't remove it, I mean you can, but you don't have to. I'm sure it would be a pain to get back on also.. I saw that some people did. but don't! I went by AdamLZ install on youtube. yes just bend it down.... I actually got in there with my foot lol. but it didn't move much that way so I pryed it down with a floor jack handle or something from underneath.

Once you get the DP on (make sure you swap the soft copper ring off the top of your old one) those heat shields (top & bottom) (top of course is removed) wont line up and seem impossible to bolt back together! but I assure you they will! those things are amazingly flexable with force.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
I thought the same thing, no don't remove it, I mean you can, but you don't have to. I'm sure it would be a pain to get back on also.. I saw that some people did. but don't! I went by AdamLZ install on youtube. yes just bend it down.... I actually got in there with my foot lol. but it didn't move much that way so I pryed it down with a floor jack handle or something from underneath.

Once you get the DP on (make sure you swap the soft copper ring off the top of your old one) those heat shields (top & bottom) (top of course is removed) wont line up and seem impossible to bolt back together! but I assure you they will! those things are amazingly flexable with force.
One last question. Since you pried on the heat shield from underneath did you drop the exhaust so it was out of your way?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
One last question. Since you pried on the heat shield from underneath did you drop the exhaust so it was out of your way?
Nope, I never dropped the exhaust. Also, to get the heat shields lined back up I used vice grips. It takes a little time, not a whole lot! but be patient, walk away for a min if you get stuck. I had a 76 yr old helper (not much help) but if you can extra set of hands it cant hurt! its not impossible to do yourself.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Nope, I never dropped the exhaust. Also, to get the heat shields lined back up I used vice grips. It takes a little time, not a whole lot! but be patient, walk away for a min if you get stuck. I had a 76 yr old helper (not much help) but if you can extra set of hands it cant hurt! its not impossible to do yourself.
i have no idea how anyone bent that heat shield that the downpipe sits on. I wedged a jack handle from underneath and used the jack to apply pressure and it will bend only a tiniest amount and then once pressure is taken off it goes right back.

The heat shield that is causing all the problems is the one you can see under the downpipe. Why wasn't the downpipe made to avoid this issue since everyone seems to have it?

oh and I can't get the downpipe out to give me more room lol. This is a disaster

i no longer know what to try except set the car on fire and walk away.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
i think i was the 2nd guy to get the M-Qubed DP installed february of last year. i dont' recall having any heatshield issues. the only issue i had was that the DP hangers didn't line up with the stock hanger location and was pressing against the subframe. the shop (helix) ended up bending the hangers just enough to get it to fit, but just barely. truth is, i think it did mis-align my exhaust as it hangers lower than stock now. it hasn't cause any negative issues so i haven't really pushed hard to fix it. if i were to fix it, i'd have the hangers cut and redone to match the OEM.

besides that, fitment was fine. sorry to hear about this bud. i'm attaching a picture of my DP if there is any way you can compare it.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
i think i was the 2nd guy to get the M-Qubed DP installed february of last year. i dont' recall having any heatshield issues. the only issue i had was that the DP hangers didn't line up with the stock hanger location and was pressing against the subframe. the shop (helix) ended up bending the hangers just enough to get it to fit, but just barely. truth is, i think it did mis-align my exhaust as it hangers lower than stock now. it hasn't cause any negative issues so i haven't really pushed hard to fix it. if i
were to fix it, i'd have the hangers cut and redone to match the OEM.

besides that, fitment was fine. sorry to hear about this bud. i'm attaching a picture of my DP if there is any way you can compare it.

well I made some progress where I think I can clamp it to the turbo and it will seal. I will post back shortly with updates.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM
djtomy
3rd Gear
It will have to bend down 2 maybe 3-4 inches, I didn't bend mine enough, but was still able to put some pressure from the DP to get it to seal. its just the one area where its hitting. concentrate on where that bend is in the weld. try to take it out if you can, I know its tough, but it will be easier to get it back in once the shield is bent down a little.

If you look at the pictures of the OEM stock vs Mario's you'll notice a smother bend in the 90* its extended a bit more from OEM one, you can tell the distance from the hanger, that's about where its getting caught up

Sorry your having a difficult time..

You are removing and installing the DP from the top side of the engine, correct? that's the way I did, Are you working on a F56?

Last edited by djtomy; 02-22-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
It will have to bend down 2 maybe 3-4 inches, I didn't bend mine enough, but was still able to put some pressure from the DP to get it to seal. its just the one area where its hitting. concentrate on where that bend is in the weld. try to take it out if you can, I know its tough, but it will be easier to get it back in once the shield is bent down a little.

If you look at the pictures of the OEM stock vs Mario's you'll notice a smother bend in the 90* its extended a bit more from OEM one, you can tell the distance from the hanger, that's about where its getting caught up

Sorry your having a difficult time..

You are removing and installing the DP from the top side of the engine, correct? that's the way I did, Are you working on a F56?
f55. It's finally installed! Not happy about fitment but it's on there. It was still sitting on the heat shield but mated up flush to the turbo so I said screw it.

There was absolutely no way I could attach the two lower center bolts on the top heatshield. Holes weren't even close to lining up. Other bolts went in and I hit the shield a bunch and it was solid.

Only have one slight rattle when accelerating very very slow from a stop. I will deal with that some other day.im hoping it's just the driver side hanger as it was really close to the subframe. Maybe 1/8"

Thanks for for the help everyone!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:50 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an F55 too. We will see how this goes when I get mine installed. (Crossing Fingers) on another note. How are you liking the DP once installed???

Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniF55
I have an F55 too. We will see how this goes when I get mine installed. (Crossing Fingers) on another note. How are you liking the DP once installed???
so far it's great. Sound increase isn't much at all. Cruising around sounds stock. The exhaust pops are pretty loud now!!

also lots and lots of turbo noises. You really hear the DV doing its job

Old 02-22-2017, 01:01 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
so far it's great. Sound increase isn't much at all. Cruising around sounds stock. The exhaust pops are pretty loud now!! also lots and lots of turbo noises. You really hear the DV doing its job
I'm glad you got it on the car. I went to the Mini Dealer today and confirmed that all the F series 54,55, and 56 use the exact same downpipe part number. I have have over 70 of these downpipes go on smoothly and a handful of odd ones. I'm guessing Mini changed some small things, like heat shields styles mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

Last edited by MarioKart; 02-22-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:29 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I'm glad you got it on the car. I went to the Mini Dealer today and confirmed that all the F series 54,55, and 56 use the exact same downpipe part number. I have have over 70 of these downpipes go on smoothly and a handful of odd ones. I'm guessing Mini changed some small things, like heat shields styles mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
its just my luck that I had the difficulty I did. Always seems to happen to me.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trentiles glad everything worked out. Also nice to see other F55 out there getting upgrades. I really can't wait to get my car out the shop. Also can't wait to get the down pipe on and see how it runs. Then we shall see what's next!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Buildind F56 2.0 DownPipe