F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Tuning kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
For sure. Dinan and I are currently dealing with an Elite on my S throwing up the P12A9 code on every other start up. They asked me to send the tuning box back to them so they can check it out. So I drove around with the bypass on for a week and was still getting the CEL. I also got P10F2 on Saturday with the bypass. The replacement was installed Monday and I'm still getting a CEL. Probably will have to take it to a Dinan dealer to have the ECU adaptations reset like OP in this thread. He said in post #36 that that solved his problem and he was getting the same CELs I have been with the same tuning box.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:43 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by El-Grunto
For sure. Dinan and I are currently dealing with an Elite on my S throwing up the P12A9 code on every other start up. They asked me to send the tuning box back to them so they can check it out. So I drove around with the bypass on for a week and was still getting the CEL. I also got P10F2 on Saturday with the bypass. The replacement was installed Monday and I'm still getting a CEL. Probably will have to take it to a Dinan dealer to have the ECU adaptations reset like OP in this thread. He said in post #36 that that solved his problem and he was getting the same CELs I have been with the same tuning box.
Aside from the CEL, did you notice any performance issues? Limp mode or anything that would indicate a problem other then the light on the dash?

Ran mine back to BMW twice to have the code checked...101F01 DME: Air Mass System They smoked the intake and checked for leaks - none found, each visit they said the code was in the process of clearing. Just a PITA to have the light on. FWIW, have not heard any issues with their .v2 Stage 1 piggyback.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
No loss in performance with P12A9 that I can notice and Torque isn't showing any loss in boost. P10F2 came with a major power cut. If a tuned car is like sport++ then that code is like green---.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:32 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
My check engine light came on briefly so it's at the dealer now. They said it's the Dinan tune. Should I ask the dealer what code came up?

Last edited by MikeMJCW; 04-04-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
No loss in performance with P12A9 that I can notice and Torque isn't showing any loss in boost. P10F2 came with a major power cut. If a tuned car is like sport++ then that code is like green---.
A shame Dinan isn't living up to its reputation. At present I'm waiting for the Stage 2 (rumored to be a flash). My understanding w/ a flash, they are not tricking the ECU into adjusting levels. The flash is the programming and as long as they don't over boost something that can cause mechanical failure. Before I adopt, I'll wait and see how it fares in the real world. If there are issues with it, I will likely have Dinan replace my .v1 with the .v2 (more mild than the .v1 but w/o issues) so as to not have any CELs past the car's 4 year warranty.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
A shame Dinan isn't living up to its reputation. At present I'm waiting for the Stage 2 (rumored to be a flash). My understanding w/ a flash, they are not tricking the ECU into adjusting levels. The flash is the programming and as long as they don't over boost something that can cause mechanical failure. Before I adopt, I'll wait and see how it fares in the real world. If there are issues with it, I will likely have Dinan replace my .v1 with the .v2 (more mild than the .v1 but w/o issues) so as to not have any CELs past the car's 4 year warranty.
Dont expect a dinan flash for the mini platform anytime soon. APR calibrators take a LONG time to release a tune. Dinan will go for the b58, n54, n55, s55, s63 engines first before they even attempt to calibrate a mini if they even ever do.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:52 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MikeMJCW
My check engine light came on briefly so it's at the dealer now. They said it;s the Dinan tune. Should I ask the dealer what code came up?
Yes. More info on what is going on with your car is always good. Also, this way when you get in touch with Dinan you can tell them what the code is as well.

For sure. I went with them because they have a good reputation and I only ever found the one thread where a single person had problems. Now I'm having the same problems. It doesn't matter too much to me though as my warranty is up this year and I'll be going Stage 2 and ditching the Dinan for a tune with a bit more oomph. You're right about flashing an ECU vs. a piggyback too.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Seems like their sale to Driven Performance Brands did nothing but hurt the quality of the product.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:44 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by charrigan
Dont expect a dinan flash for the mini platform anytime soon. APR calibrators take a LONG time to release a tune. Dinan will go for the b58, n54, n55, s55, s63 engines first before they even attempt to calibrate a mini if they even ever do.
Actually, since my issues are with the B58 motor, I am hoping to see a Flash be made available mid 2019 for my BMW rather than the Mini.. I'm kinda off the Dinan "bandwagon" at the moment.

A year or so ago, I was all "pumped" to go w/ a Dinan Stage 1 tune over the JCW on our next Mini. Would be cheaper and likely deliver more performance. I have since changed my mind (just ordered a new Mini w/ a factory installed JCW tune (and will forgo any Dinan additions going forward). Coming out of a 2015 MCS w/ the JCW tune, I couldn't be happier with the performance gains I saw on that car. Not the fastest "hatch", but plenty of performance and "grunt" down low to keep a smile on my face, with the peace of mind of factory coverage. Added a set of light weight wheels and tires and car really came alive.

I have read that the NM power module (set on "low") makes a huge difference along w/ the JCW tune. Pretty much zero reported issues w/ those that have had one. Still, for me personally, risking a new car's full warranty coverage for the extra power isn't worth it. Installing and removing for each dealer visit and the potential of the ECU reporting the addition of the module when they plug it in at the svc dept. isn't a risk I'm willing to take.

If I had to offer any advice to owners of new, warrantied Mini's to opt for the JCW tune. While the numbers on paper do not look impressive, I can attest, that the "Butt Dyno" will say otherwise. The actual increase in torque early in the RPM range is very noticeable....more so than what I noticed during a back to back test drive w/ a new JCW.

The following users liked this post:
MKLight (06-29-2020)
Old 04-04-2019, 01:31 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Actually, since my issues are with the B58 motor, I am hoping to see a Flash be made available mid 2019 for my BMW rather than the Mini.. I'm kinda off the Dinan "bandwagon" at the moment.

A year or so ago, I was all "pumped" to go w/ a Dinan Stage 1 tune over the JCW on our next Mini. Would be cheaper and likely deliver more performance. I have since changed my mind (just ordered a new Mini w/ a factory installed JCW tune (and will forgo any Dinan additions going forward). Coming out of a 2015 MCS w/ the JCW tune, I couldn't be happier with the performance gains I saw on that car. Not the fastest "hatch", but plenty of performance and "grunt" down low to keep a smile on my face, with the peace of mind of factory coverage. Added a set of light weight wheels and tires and car really came alive.

I have read that the NM power module (set on "low") makes a huge difference along w/ the JCW tune. Pretty much zero reported issues w/ those that have had one. Still, for me personally, risking a new car's full warranty coverage for the extra power isn't worth it. Installing and removing for each dealer visit and the potential of the ECU reporting the addition of the module when they plug it in at the svc dept. isn't a risk I'm willing to take.

If I had to offer any advice to owners of new, warrantied Mini's to opt for the JCW tune. While the numbers on paper do not look impressive, I can attest, that the "Butt Dyno" will say otherwise. The actual increase in torque early in the RPM range is very noticeable....more so than what I noticed during a back to back test drive w/ a new JCW.
I'm kinda off the wagon too. Dinan is now telling me to return the module for a refund. They said today "Thank you for the follow up. We are terribly sorry to hear the fault has returned. The car is failing a plausibility check, but as of right now, our software team is not sure what the oem dme is using to reference boost (since it's obviously not one of the signals the Dinan ecu modifies). We are working diligently to get our hands on another Mini so we can update the elite software. In the mean time, we would recommend going back through the point of purchase for a refund on the product."

Old 04-05-2019, 06:49 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
I'm kinda off the wagon too. Dinan is now telling me to return the module for a refund. They said today "Thank you for the follow up. We are terribly sorry to hear the fault has returned. The car is failing a plausibility check, but as of right now, our software team is not sure what the oem dme is using to reference boost (since it's obviously not one of the signals the Dinan ecu modifies). We are working diligently to get our hands on another Mini so we can update the elite software. In the mean time, we would recommend going back through the point of purchase for a refund on the product."
Well, at least you have an avenue to get your money back. To Dinan's credit, that's a good thing, Unfortunately, it leaves you where you started out.

Since your car is out of or will be going out of warranty, I'd look to other tuning options since factory coverage isn't going to be a issue. Vettesvet has a 2015 that he has been modifying over time. Initially started w/ a JCW tune and then added the NM power module. He had zero issues and said the car was a beast. I'd PM him and get some first hand feedback. He's a great guy and very helpful. I think he is running a ECU Flash tune now since he's out of warranty.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Well, at least you have an avenue to get your money back. To Dinan's credit, that's a good thing, Unfortunately, it leaves you where you started out.

Since your car is out of or will be going out of warranty, I'd look to other tuning options since factory coverage isn't going to be a issue. Vettesvet has a 2015 that he has been modifying over time. Initially started w/ a JCW tune and then added the NM power module. He had zero issues and said the car was a beast. I'd PM him and get some first hand feedback. He's a great guy and very helpful. I think he is running a ECU Flash tune now since he's out of warranty.
Only if I can get Dinan and PFabrications to play nice. PFab says they won't do a return after 30 days even after explaining what is going on and showing them the emails between Dinan and myself. Dinan is saying get a refund from the point of sale and the point of sale is saying get the refund from Dinan. As far as tunes go I'm planning on having the ECU flashed by Mario Palza. Gonna add some other mods first like a downpipe and Intercooler though so I can go Stage 2. This is the time where a factory warranty would be nice.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:50 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Well, that certainly sucks. I'm guessing PFab isn't an authorized Dinan dealer. Just a reseller that has a 30 day return policy. Not sure if they pay a wholesale price for the Elite tuner or not from Dinan. If that's the case, that may be the "rub". They lose the profit margin if they take the unit back @ retail $ and only get the wholesale refund from Dinan, Perhaps Dinan would take the unit back directly if you explain the situation. Even if you get the "wholesale" refund (assuming Dinan sells to retailers @ a wholesale price), better than nothing if you can get Dinan to agree to a direct transaction.

I have not read any disclaimers by Dinan on units sold through third party sellers or for direct sales for individual installs.

I ordered mine through my BMW dealership (authorized Dinan dealer) and paid for the install there ($165). Any issues are between my dealer and Dinan. If Dinan said return it, my dealer would take it back and refund the money. Another member on the BMW forum had an issue with his Stage 1. After 2 replacements of the .v1 and finally a new .v2. He wasn't happy with the .v2 performance and Dinan is allowing a return and refund through his BMW dealership (again, another authorized Dinan dealership).

Let us know how things go.................

Old 05-27-2019, 06:56 PM
Csasb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a newbie question that already has been asked but I didn’t find one.
is the JCW tuning kit and exhaust include some type of software or engine “tune” or it’s only the exhaust? If so, is it installed by the dealer bye a flash or what? For the bump in HP I guess it does come with something else than the exhaust.
Being the fact that is a current offer, and I’m just buying a 2016 cooper s I might be buying one and was thinking about this, but I live abroad so I want to know exactly what I’m dealing with.

Im planning on that and an nm module maybe.

thanks

Last edited by Csasb; 05-27-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Chedder2017
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Csasb
Maybe a newbie question that already has been asked but I didn’t find one.
is the JCW tuning kit and exhaust include some type of software or engine “tune” or it’s only the exhaust? If so, is it installed by the dealer bye a flash or what? For the bump in HP I guess it does come with something else than the exhaust.
Being the fact that is a current offer, and I’m just buying a 2016 cooper s I might be buying one and was thinking about this, but I live abroad so I want to know exactly what I’m dealing with.

Im planning on that and an nm module maybe.

thanks
Hello it does also come with a tune and I would recommend a dealer installation. You also get the great button of Fun!

Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 PM
Csasb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chedder2017
Hello it does also come with a tune and I would recommend a dealer installation. You also get the great button of Fun!
Thanks, do you know if it’s a module, reflash or what?
dont know if my local dealer know about it, and was trying to buy it in the US and get it imported.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chedder2017
I also was thinking about this tune up kit, but when I asked MINI dealer if this also gives the vehicle good amount of HP, the service guy told me that this kit is mostly for the sound of the exhaust. Possibly adds a bit of HP

Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperial
I also was thinking about this tune up kit, but when I asked MINI dealer if this also gives the vehicle good amount of HP, the service guy told me that this kit is mostly for the sound of the exhaust. Possibly adds a bit of HP
Your service guy is an idiot. The Tuning Kit on an S model kicks the horsepower to just north of 200. Add an NM Power Module for an additional 20-30 HP.

The following 2 users liked this post by vetsvette:
bratling (05-28-2019), Imperial (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Your service guy is an idiot. The Tuning Kit on an S model kicks the horsepower to just north of 200. Add an NM Power Module for an additional 20-30 HP.
I will tell him So my 2016 Hardtop Cooper S has 189HP and in reality, the tuning kit alone would probably give 14 HP more? If that is the case, then it is the good first move to the right direction.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 PM
vetsvette
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperial
I will tell him So my 2016 Hardtop Cooper S has 189HP and in reality, the tuning kit alone would probably give 14 HP more? If that is the case, then it is the good first move to the right direction.

The JCW tuning kit for an S is rated at 210hp but that figure in conservative.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:11 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
The kit really bumps the torque up (actually higher than the actual JCW). I was skeptical whether I'd notice the increase in performance......I did, in spades. In fact I ordered the kit as a factory install on my new 2019.

No hit on MPG's with the kit if driven normally. I was averaging 35-37 MPG in around town/Hwy mix.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 AM
Csasb
1st Gear
The kit really bumps the torque up (actually higher than the actual JCW). I was skeptical whether I'd notice the increase in performance......I did, in spades. In fact I ordered the kit as a factory install on my new 2019.

No hit on MPG's with the kit if driven normally. I was averaging 35-37 MPG in around town/Hwy mix.
Thats what I like about it, apart from the nice exhaust for sure. That plus the NM module would be more than enough.

my only doubt is about the Tune of the JCW, if there’s something that comes with the box and parts or it a software that the dealer has and you’re “entitled” to receive when you buy the kit. Any idea about this?

thanks.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 AM
vetsvette
It’s an actual tune that the dealer flashes on the ECU. You will get a certificate with the tune that has a serial number unique to your kit/car.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 AM
Csasb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
It’s an actual tune that the dealer flashes on the ECU. You will get a certificate with the tune that has a serial number unique to your kit/car.
Thanks for the answer. I’ll ask my local dealer if they have it and can install it if I get to import the kit from USA.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 JCW Tuning kit