F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Windshield washer issue...

Old 03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Windshield washer issue...

So today I went to use my windshield washers and noticed that no fluid came out. I thought it was odd since I've only used them a couple of times since purchasing the car, but figured maybe they just didn't put much in there from the factory. No biggie. I was out running errands and stopped to grab some washer fluid.

Opened the hood and noticed the washer fluid container was absolutely bone dry. Again, the assumption of not much put in from the factory still came to mind.

I poured damn near the whole gallon of washer fluid in and it finally started to show filled. I closed the top, then the hood and proceeded to try the washers again. Result? Nothing. No fluid came out. I found this super strange. I popped the hood and went to see if something was wrong. As I got out of the car and walked to the other side where the washer fluid container sits (passenger side front), I noticed fluid pouring out from underneath the car.

All of the fluid I had just poured in was on the ground and also dripping from the rear of the car where it had drained to. I looked under the car and didn't see anything out of place. Turned the wheels left and right, looking at the area under the car with each full turn. Couldn't see anything that would lead me to believe something was wrong.

My assumption is there is maybe a hose that has somehow become disconnected? If so, where do I begin to look? Everything is so covered under there.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, what was the cause?

Last edited by FunToMini; 03-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
No issues, but here is the r&r for f56 https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tem/1VnXwM523i

Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Thank you. I went out and took the headlight off and the passenger wheel to look around. The washer container was actually about a quarter still full of washer fluid, so I have zero idea why it's not working, nor why it's leaking. Going to have to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow. Ugh!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Is there a hole in the hose? Do you have another person at home that can run the washers while you are looking under the hood/wheel well?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
I don't see a hole. I had my buddy come over and try to help me locate an issue while one of use would work the washers. Can't tell anything. Already made an appointment for service in the morning. Hopefully it's some this easy. It's a new car and this should be covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Is there a hole in the hose? Do you have another person at home that can run the washers while you are looking under the hood/wheel well?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
With a brand new car still under warranty I wouldn't even waste my time looking for the problem. Check the fluid. If it still doesn't work then make an appointment. You're paying for that warranty, might as well use it when needed.
I'm taking mine in Tuesday because I have fabric/gasket material sticking out between the rear side glass and the "C" pillar on both sides. I only have ~18 months left on my warranty so you can bet yer bippy that I'm gonna have everything I can find fixed on Mini's dime.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:41 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Agreed. Already dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Going to let them sort it out.

Originally Posted by vetsvette
With a brand new car still under warranty I wouldn't even waste my time looking for the problem. Check the fluid. If it still doesn't work then make an appointment. You're paying for that warranty, might as well use it when needed.
I'm taking mine in Tuesday because I have fabric/gasket material sticking out between the rear side glass and the "C" pillar on both sides. I only have ~18 months left on my warranty so you can bet yer bippy that I'm gonna have everything I can find fixed on Mini's dime.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
100% agree, except in your case that extra material is something I had as well. Took me 30 seconds with a razor to remove it. Seemed like a lot better option than wasting a few hours at the dealer where the potential for evil is ongoing.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:21 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Turned out to be a simple fix. Apparently some of the older cars had this issue as well, and the service advisor thought this was something they had fixed in the newer models. Anyway, the problem was a small hose that connects towards the bottom of the reservoir. It had come undone, but was also too short to fully reach where it needed to go, thus making it leak and not be able to pump fluid up to the windshield sprayers.

They replaced the hose with longer hose and corrected the attachment issue. All is well now.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Nice, simple fixes are always good

The following users liked this post:
FunToMini (03-20-2018)