F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 S Vs Justa

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S Vs Justa

Curious. Does anyone regularly drive both an S and a Justa?

I have an S and I'm happy with it, but was wondering if other than the faster 0-60, a Justa is just as capable and even more capable in the right hands than the S.

In other words, an expert racer could get more out of a Justa than I would be able to squeeze out of an S in the real world.

Note: I've been driving fast for 38+ years, but I wouldn't call myself an expert racer.

I guess another way of asking this question, after a few years with an S is it possible to go to a Justa and be just as pleased with the performance. ;-)

Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Zazoh

I guess another way of asking this question, after a few years with an S is it possible to go to a Justa and be just as pleased with the performance. ;-)
Guessing not. All things being equal, you can't find a substitute for the extra HP and Torque. While handling will be identical (go-kart-like). The "gitup&go", will be lacking.

I added the JCW tune to my MCS and cannot imagine going back to a stock S.

If I started w/ a Justa, I'd not have a comparison to measure it against and would likely be happy as clam in deep water. But giving up HP and torque is likely to result in disappointment.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Two totally different experiences. Just drove wife's 4 dr Justa and it's a lot of fun. My S is faster but in town and traffic I like the 3 cylinder.

Since I have both I'd be hard pressed to choose which I like more. Throw a Dinan chip on the three and have a blast while saving lots of cash.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm with the mooch on this. My co-pilot's R60 justa is comfy and all and serves her purpose but compared to my R52 S it's a lumbering beast. Can't really say apples to oranges, maybe granny smith to a honeycrisp.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I'm with the mooch on this. My co-pilot's R60 justa is comfy and all and serves her purpose but compared to my R52 S it's a lumbering beast. Can't really say apples to oranges, maybe granny smith to a honeycrisp.
no you're not agreeing with me, the F series is way different. I could easily drive the 3 cylinder car all day long.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Two totally different experiences. Just drove wife's 4 dr Justa and it's a lot of fun. My S is faster but in town and traffic I like the 3 cylinder.

Since I have both I'd be hard pressed to choose which I like more. Throw a Dinan chip on the three and have a blast while saving lots of cash.
Thanks -- I kinda suspected either would be fun, and in fact, on twisty country roads one could push the non-s a bit further, or to put a different way, get more out of the spectrum of power.

Buy ya to the others, I do like the way the S pushes me back a bit when I floor it.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM
wjones14
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zazoh
Curious. Does anyone regularly drive both an S and a Justa?

I have an S and I'm happy with it, but was wondering if other than the faster 0-60, a Justa is just as capable and even more capable in the right hands than the S.

In other words, an expert racer could get more out of a Justa than I would be able to squeeze out of an S in the real world.

Note: I've been driving fast for 38+ years, but I wouldn't call myself an expert racer.

I was curious about the exact differences between the S and non-S myself. I am about to replace my daily driver R50 2003 Mini with a 3rd gen Mini. Aside from the obvious engine and cosmetic exterior differences, are things like the suspension different? If I were to put on a set of sticky summer-only 17" tires on the non-S, would it handle similar to the S model?

Also, is the interior any different between the two?

My wife has a 2015 four door automatic. I would be looking to buy a pre-owned 2014 or 2015 two door manual myself. After driving my wife's, I am satisfied with the power of the 3-cylinder turbo, and especially pleased with the fuel economy.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I started with the 2014 Justa manual. I found the car to handle very well but lacked the extra umph I enjoy so I purchased the Dinan Sport and the CravenSpeed CAI. The intake is more for sound than anything else. However, I still wanted more so I traded up for my current F56 JCW auto w/paddles and had to go with the auto due to health issue. It is a night and day comparison. I had fun with my Justa but with my JCW, I look for excuse to go for a drive.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:28 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We did just that with my wife's Countryman ALL4. The Dinan provides just a bit more oomph but we still have the light feeling from having less weight under the hood.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:51 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Interesting. Last year my SA was telling me that a engineer from one of the national labs here tracks MINI's here (SCCA). After researching power/torque ratios he set up a new Justa. He's been winning a lot of competitions...could be something to it.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:15 AM
MQQN
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a BytetTronik tuned 2017 F56 CooperS auto and a ByteTronik tuned F54 Cooper auto and they are both a complete blast to drive!!!

Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 AM
wjones14
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I know threads always get derailed like this, but does anyone have the answer to my questions? Basically, are there different suspension parts on the S versus the non-S? I wanted to know if I put the 17" wheels and tires on a non-S, would it essentially handle the same as an S?

I sense if nothing else, there may be stiffer springs in the S to account for the added weight - about 160 pounds more for the S with the manual. But maybe not. That's what I'm asking.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
An easy way to answer your question is go to a site like "Mini parts of Kennesaw", a large MINI parts factory dealer. They have slots for year, model etc. Categories suspension, etc. They also have a tab for what else it fits...should find your answer.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:36 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
The best way to do it is this site, although the plug for MINI of Kennesaw, my dealer, is pretty awesome. I do order parts from them.

https://www.etkbmw.com/

The easiest way is to see if they say the JCW pro suspension fits S and base.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:21 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I think the standard suspensions are the same for the Justa and the MCS.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I went from a 2015 Justa to a 2017 JCW. The 3 cyl was great and pulled like a diesel with not a lot in the upper range. The JCW pulls all the way and pushes me way back in the seat. Loved the Justa but the rush in acceleration is the thrill with the JCW. I did like the lighter front end with the Justa - seemed to not “push” so much in turns.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 PM
reuben3
Neutral
Just for perspective, I drive a justa but with a dinan sports tuner + cai + good sticky tyres.

My immediate problem with daily normal driving is now the brakes can't keep up with the car. I googled if there were cheap ways to upgrade the brakes and discovered the S had larger discs or callipers (I forgot which one).

So to answer a part of your question, yes the justa can be fun, but once you push it a bit too much, the braking kills the fun.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 PM
TheOnlyMTS
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Just owner chiming in, having driven both and also now owning an R53 JCW CE. My Justa is very adept in the corners and not lacking in power....mind you I have done the following to it;
* K&N Typoon Intake
* NM Engineering springs
* Scavenged parts from F56 JCW exhaust and had a custom down pipe back set up using the JCW 2.85" pipe (I believe) and the resonator where the stock muffler was...resonator went back in because straight piped was WAY too loud.
* RaceChip Ultimate
* Forge Short Shifter still to go on...

It is quick and tries it's best at drives to keep with the S and JCW models. But the blow off, turbo whooshes and vrap of the exhaust are very pleasing and attention getting....

Vraptor

Old 01-15-2018, 02:38 PM
DivMini
2nd Gear
I'm a 2016 Justa owner who debated the S vs. Justa decision recently with multiple test drives of both. I previously had a 1st Gen S and loved it. I ultimately opted for a "new" 2016 Justa in December because my local dealer was desperate to sell it to make room for 2018 inventory and I got an amazing deal. While the F56 S without question is quicker I continue to be surprised how fun the Justa is particularly with a 6 speed manual. The 1.5L B38 engine is really impressive and pulls well at low RPMs! I also wanted a fun daily driver that my son could learn to drive in a couple of years and my Justa definitely fulfills those requirements although I do foresee a JCW suspension upgrade in her future. Of course I'm lucky enough to have really fun weekend car so I don't miss the extra power of the S or JCW F56.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Nick89
2nd Gear
wheels

What size wheels has Vraptor got in this photo?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
There really aren't many things that separate the Justa from the S: bigger brakes, bigger engine (which results in more HP/Tq), and different gear ratios. I think that's largely it and the rest is the same (except for the cosmetic differences, of course, and the center-mounted exhaust). The Justa is the lighter of the two, and the additional weight of the S sits over the front wheels. I'm very pleased with my 2019 F57 Justa. Is it the fastest thing around? Of Cours not, but it's no slouch, either. The tall gearing of the manual transmission is something to get used to, but the power band of the B36 (B38 in Europe) is quite flexible.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Had a Justa Clubman a few years ago when they released the new body style and it handled great but we found the power at highway speeds to be majorly lacking. We noticed this on a trip from Iowa to Colorado where it really shined up in the mountains pulling around those tight death defying drops. When we would try to pass someone on a 2 lane highway though we found that we needed a pretty decent stretch to pass when above 55-60mph. Now my wife has a 2019 S convertible and I have a 2018 Carbon with the JCW tune. We just did a rally a couple of weekends ago and we surprised the heck out of the other participants on just how quick the Carbon was at higher speeds. I myself would never ever go back to a Justa. Just doesn't have the get up and go that the S has.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 AM
F56mini
1st Gear
"Boy I wish this car had less power". How many people you know that ever said that? I know 15 guys will be along any second to say they did

Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by F56mini
"Boy I wish this car had less power". How many people you know that ever said that? I know 15 guys will be along any second to say they did
After a speeding ticket I surely thought just that.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
F56mini
1st Gear
After a speeding ticket I surely thought just that.
I had my share, bought a Valentine One 20 years ago and haven't had one since. But I digress. To the OP, you can be pleased with anything if you want to be and it meets your needs.