F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Best inexpensive mod you have done? Worst?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rev1 was GREAT at introducing those key fob sleeves/cover!!! Bought 3 with his free shipping code!

Old 09-01-2016, 03:02 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darex
Another mod, which I love, but will regret later, is how I destroyed one of my keys to do this:

The buttons don't work, but the fob is small, feather-light and flat, and I forget it's there. I hated the OEM key THAT much!
Wait... so what's the point of this if the buttons don't work? Why even carry it?

Old 09-01-2016, 03:27 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Some keys have easy access. Able to press a button on your door handle and unlock it. You just need to be in proximity of the car for this function. No need to touch or press the key fob.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 AM
BellaF56
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DinanTronic for me also! That thing really woke the car up on top of the JCW PRO Tune

Old 09-02-2016, 07:21 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniF55
Some keys have easy access. Able to press a button on your door handle and unlock it. You just need to be in proximity of the car for this function. No need to touch or press the key fob.
Correct, and I'm gambling (and expect to win), that I'll never need to utilize the keyhole. My fob never leaves my pocket.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:13 PM
bluvw69
3rd Gear
Being tall, I love my LightInSight lens on the windshield. I don't realize how much I use it until I try driving a different car.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 AM
darex
5th Gear
Forgot that one! A must-have for every MINI.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:04 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darex

2) Adding the OEM Back-up Camera.
Are you asking your dealership to do that work? What would the cost be? I regret that I did not get that option. The rear visibility is not great in this car.

thanks

Old 09-03-2016, 03:10 PM
kookoo511
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone answer this question?

Originally Posted by vetsvette
Thanks. So it stays in place without the mounting hardware? I can get it from my dealer for $128.
I failed to order the flat loading floor because my old Countryman had it and I thought it was standard equipment. The dealer quoted me $1,800 to retrofit this $250 option. Do these floors you're talking about just fit in without the accompanying framework etc.? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:56 PM
darex
5th Gear
Oh no! That was a total dead-end. I had to find a different path to the solution: Bimmer-Tech, plus my own blood, sweat and tears (literally, all three!)

Old 09-04-2016, 07:37 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by kookoo511
I failed to order the flat loading floor because my old Countryman had it and I thought it was standard equipment. The dealer quoted me $1,800 to retrofit this $250 option. Do these floors you're talking about just fit in without the accompanying framework etc.? Thanks for any info.
My wife's R60 Countryman came without flat load floor. I bought a used FLF floor panel, got a sheet of ¾" maple ply, cut to fit, including notches for the centering pins and support for the panel. It rests upon existing trim panels in the car, but it would be trivial to add standoff legs if needed.

We left the wood unfinished, but I recently bought speaker fabric to cover a subwoofer I built for my car, and I'm thinking of finding some time to cover the wood and make it blend in.

It was a good use of a couple hours of time to set up.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
#1 Mod = 22mm solid rear sway bar. Out of this world difference to the way the car drives
#2 Dash camera ($50 from China) https://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Spl.../dp/B00PPYDAXA
#3 michelin pilot super sport 215/40r18
#4 Analog Boost and Temp Gauges (AEM)
#5 NM Eng. RSe12 18" Light Weight Wheel
#6 JB4
#7 Black Coco Mats
#7a Weather Tech Winter Mats
#8 ASD bypass harness (really my first and most important mod)
#9 Pro splitters with PDC.
#10 Schnitzer Front splitter
#11 Secret compartment add on to my 2016
#12 Mini LED Driving lights
#13 JB4 blue tooth dongle. Change maps while driving from your phone.

Worst = Mini USB cable

Last edited by GregoryK; 09-04-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
All those mods sound great all together, GregoryK. I'm sure your car drives much different and better.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:38 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Super fun car! Main problem is putting the power down. Just spins in 3rd.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:13 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Good problem to have GregoryK. Maybe time for 8 inch wheels or sticky tires. lol. Mods are never done. Our cars are a gift and a curse to he wallet.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:37 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best mod- I built my own exhaust. It was a rewarding experience that saved me a boat load of money.

Worst mod- bms stage 1. It's great when it works but it's not the best and trouble shooting isn't exactly user friendly. I've pulled hair out thinking that I've ruined my car multiple times.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
postioned my 5" GPS with back up camera in dash in front of cup holders

I did not order the NAV as i am happy enough with my garmin 5" Nuvi 57 LM ....so i used some pads that stick onto the bottom of furniture and used them as spacers and stuck them on in the space in front of the cup holders and the GPS snaps in. Then i had the Garmin BC-30 back up camera put in that pares with the GPS ...works great ....note that the 12v plug that comes with the GPS or with the back up camera is too large so i bought a 12V extension that has a small plug and this provides three 12V ports and one USB recharger port and this adapter fits nicely in that narrow netting in passenger footwell

I bought the GPSfor around $100 and the BC-30 is $150 ...i did spring for Best Buy to install it ( only $60 ) I could've done the wiring myself, but i figured they would do a better job of taking off the moulding on the hatch and making it look untouched ...they did a fantastic job and threaded the wire from the hatch through the black flexible conduit and ran it to install the transmitter completely hidden in the headliner.....they had to drill to install the camera at the top of the license plate....they accessed the power from the reverse light and no relay was needed. The BC-30 gives a decent enough resolution and works well in pretty dim lighting and even has guidance lines though they are fixed ( they do not move L or R as you turn the steering wheel )

spacers stuck on that hold the GPS

Last edited by umberto; 09-05-2016 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ToolmanMini (01-03-2019)
Old 09-05-2016, 06:04 PM
umberto
6th Gear
I made a little shelf to put my iphone on to left of steering wheel

I was looking for a space to throw my iphone in, or on ....the armrest in my 2016 4 door does not have the docking and I did want to use the armrest space , so i broke off the cover of a very cheap calculater i had as the plastic matched the color of my dash and just shoved it in between the two pieces of the dash as shown in the picture, so now i have a shelf and can see my phone easily ......but the phone flew off as i stepped on the gas a wee bit too quickly, so i fashioned an elastic retaining strap with hemming elastic round cord and tied one end around the speedometer and the other end i tied into a large knot and shoved it in between the padded dash pieces

iphone on little shelf

close up of little shelf for iphone and showing elastic retaining strap

Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Super fun car! Main problem is putting the power down. Just spins in 3rd.
If you have to put the power down, it is useless.

Since I drive daily on twisty mountain roads, I keep things simple without expensive mods and enjoy not being stuck in traffic.

Best:

1-JB+.......with 20HP/30TQ, I don't need more.

2-JCW OEM carbon fiber shift **** and hand brake accessories ..... nice accents in the cabin without blink. Very high quality products.

3-CravenSpeed short antenna....... clear signal even from Vancouver and Victoria.

4-JCW OEM floor mats accessories ...... outstanding quality, classy and very easy to clean from mud and debris.

5-JCW OEM key fob accessory ........ never broke in 2 years of heavy stress and the enamel coating is still perfect.

Worst:

None.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53

Since I drive daily on twisty mountain roads, I keep things simple without expensive mods and enjoy not being stuck in traffic.

Best:

2-JCW OEM carbon fiber shift **** and hand brake accessories ..... nice accents in the cabin without blink. Very high quality products.

3-CravenSpeed short antenna....... clear signal even from Vancouver and Victoria.

4-JCW OEM floor mats accessories ...... outstanding quality, classy and very easy to clean from mud and debris.

5-JCW OEM key fob accessory ........ never broke in 2 years of heavy stress and the enamel coating is still perfect.

Worst:

None.
Stage 1 or the jb4?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is that JCW Steering a Retrofit? I ask because u have an auto and I don't see any paddle shifters and also the shifter doesn't have the black leather with red stitchers.

Let me know pls, I am also interested in putting one in my car LOL thats the only option I am missing jejej

Originally Posted by umberto
I was looking for a space to throw my iphone in, or on ....the armrest in my 2016 4 door does not have the docking and I did want to use the armrest space , so i broke off the cover of a very cheap calculater i had as the plastic matched the color of my dash and just shoved it in between the two pieces of the dash as shown in the picture, so now i have a shelf and can see my phone easily ......but the phone flew off as i stepped on the gas a wee bit too quickly, so i fashioned an elastic retaining strap with hemming elastic round cord and tied one end around the speedometer and the other end i tied into a large knot and shoved it in between the padded dash pieces

iphone on little shelf

close up of little shelf for iphone and showing elastic retaining strap

Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 AM
umberto
6th Gear
052 ....... no, i ordered the car with the JCW Interior Package as that was the ONLY way that you can order the car and have cloth seats. That was the only reason i ordered the package, $600, but i was going to order sport seats anyway which are $300 so it was only $300 more for the cloth but i do like the steering wheel that comes with the package.

One note about the cloth seats.......i checked on line the inventory of the 5 or six diff dealers within a 2-3 hour radius of central massachusetts when i was looking to buy as i wanted to see the seats before buying and there were zero cars with cloth seats....i guess they are hard to come by as everyone likes the 'leatherette' vinyl.....i like cloth seats, have always had them. My '04 MC had them and they still looked brand new when i traded in the car 6 weeks ago. These new cloth seats are great ....extremely comfortable,,,....BUT .....they are a dog hair magnet for some reason. My previous seats did not do that ...some materials just act like velcro for dog hair and our dog sheds ...A LOT !! ...so i keep a lint roller in the car and i highly recommend the cloth seats

Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dube53

Best:

Worst:

None.
I have a JCW. Running the stage 2 map the engine probably puts out about 290 hp. Previous to this car I had a F56 MCS. Even that car would spin the wheels in first gear under hard acceleration. Putting the power to the road is a problem with all FWD cars. Not having AWD in the F56 makes them better on gas.
Yes my car is not good in first and second (I run 215 Pilot SS tires) but the pulling power in 3rd 4th and 5th is impressive. So I still have all the great handling at lower speeds and serious overtaking power.

I still maintain the best mod is a 22mm solid rear sway bar. The amount of understeer exhibited by these cars is not for the serious driver. They do this for the safety of the "average" driver. I did the sway bar on my R56 and now my F56. If you like twisty roads you will be extremely happy with this inexpensive mod!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:03 AM
darex
5th Gear
Now you know why many go with leatherette vs. cloth. It's ALL about the dog hair! LOL

Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
HI, thanks for the info! I didnt know you could order the JCW steering without paddle shifters, maybe mani forgot to add them? Have you ever asked your dealer why if you have JCW steering and u have an auto why it doesnt have the paddle shifter?

Originally Posted by umberto
052 ....... no, i ordered the car with the JCW Interior Package as that was the ONLY way that you can order the car and have cloth seats. That was the only reason i ordered the package, $600, but i was going to order sport seats anyway which are $300 so it was only $300 more for the cloth but i do like the steering wheel that comes with the package.

One note about the cloth seats.......i checked on line the inventory of the 5 or six diff dealers within a 2-3 hour radius of central massachusetts when i was looking to buy as i wanted to see the seats before buying and there were zero cars with cloth seats....i guess they are hard to come by as everyone likes the 'leatherette' vinyl.....i like cloth seats, have always had them. My '04 MC had them and they still looked brand new when i traded in the car 6 weeks ago. These new cloth seats are great ....extremely comfortable,,,....BUT .....they are a dog hair magnet for some reason. My previous seats did not do that ...some materials just act like velcro for dog hair and our dog sheds ...A LOT !! ...so i keep a lint roller in the car and i highly recommend the cloth seats

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Best inexpensive mod you have done? Worst?