F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F55 as family car

Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F55 as family car

Curious to hear about people who are using the F55 (4 door hardtop) as a family car.

Does it work for your family. Ages?
How long a drive have you taken.
How to deal with a single cup holder in the back seat?
Issues?

Thanks!

Last edited by dm33; 02-28-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 AM
axoo007
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dm33
Curious to hear about people who are using the F55 (4 door hardtop) as a family car.

Does it work for a family.
Issues?

Thanks!
It doesn't. Buy a Clubman or a Golf GTI.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:50 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Any comments from those who own an F55? How do you use your car. Why did you choose an F55 over an F56.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Define family. Age, size of, etc. looking to pack supplies for two week camping trips? You get the idea that more info would help get answers.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 PM
colinmini
5th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
First: I have a first gen Mini Cooper, 2 door.
Second: 3 sons!
Third: drove 14 hours to Disney in the Mini(my wife said I was nuts and flew!)
Fourth: cup holder? You aren't planning to let kids drink or eat in your Mini, are you?(I don't let them do that in our van! Except water, but not much, just adds additional stops!)
The above is all in fun, but also true! I know a family of four who love their 4 door. Go for it! Enjoy the ride!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:52 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Define family. Age, size of, etc. looking to pack supplies for two week camping trips? You get the idea that more info would help get answers.
I'm asking folks that have the F55 4 door how they use it and if they use it for their family. Those are fine questions for those who have an F55.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by colinmini
First: I have a first gen Mini Cooper, 2 door.
Second: 3 sons!
Third: drove 14 hours to Disney in the Mini(my wife said I was nuts and flew!)
Fourth: cup holder? You aren't planning to let kids drink or eat in your Mini, are you?(I don't let them do that in our van! Except water, but not much, just adds additional stops!)
The above is all in fun, but also true! I know a family of four who love their 4 door. Go for it! Enjoy the ride!
I presume you drove down without the kids? A 14 hour drive to Disney doesn't sound nuts at all to me. We drive 14 hours to S. Florida at least once a year. The F55 seems very comfortable at highway speeds.
Drinks = water.
Would love to know about the folks w a family of four using their Mini. We personally know someone who bought a previous generation Cooper S 2-door manual. Significantly smaller than the F55. She drives her two kids to school, age 11 & 13. They seem to do ok so far. But I've been curious to hear of others. The F55 is practically tied with the F56 for top sales spot from Mini last month. Who's buying them and why.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Works for four people, that back door are a little tight to get in for full size, but once in your fine, has a good ride.

The F56 has a good ride also, but getting in the back seat will be like other hatch MINI, not really bad or anything you just have t put the seat forward. On the F55 and haul stuff from lets say Ikea or something, you will have a bit more room with the fold downs. Check out a Countryman it you need more room.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Martys
1st Gear
f55 family car

HI we purchased the f55 in January. Although it is the wife and I, when the grandkids come into town (Orlando), two fit very comfortably in the rear. Ages at 7 & 12. When the kids are gone, we haul a heck of a lot of stuff with the two rear seats down. Comfortable, well that is subjective. We drove 200 miles over the weekend and the ride was just fine. No, it wasn't a Mercedes S class drive but we were comfortable.
take care,
MartyS

Old 02-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Dudskie
2nd Gear
I bought the F55 mid January. Reasons I bought the F55 vs F56, I can put stuff easily at the back and if I need to haul some people I don't have to fold the front seat. It's a little tight getting in and out at the back but the seat is comfortable.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I've had a loaner F55 S for a week now. It's comfortable enough once you get in, but therein lies the trouble for me. They didn't lengthen the car all that much over a F56, but they stuck an additional 2 doors on it. At 6'4" and 250 pounds I have yet to find an easy/comfortable way to get in the car. Don't have that problem with the F56. My Grandson who just turned 9 over the weekend commented about the back doors without prompting... "Dang Papa. these doors are small". I wouldn't even attempt to get in the back seat myself.
Now, that's just my situation and opinion. I'm sure someone of smaller dimensions and with a young family would do nicely with this car. I know I did while living in Japan and driving a Yamaha station wagon that would make the F55 look huge in comparison. But, I was much younger, more limber/flexible (and a higher pain threshold) and had two small children.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM
ToThePublic
2nd Gear
Moved from a 2 door R56 to the F55 because of the back doors. I have 2 boys ages 4 and 5 and although it's not our "family" car (have a grand caravan for that) we use my car quite often and are always comfortable in it. The car seats are simple to install and remove and the kids are always more excited to ride in "daddy's fun car" over the van with dvd etc. We used my R56 a lot for the 4 of us comfortably and find even more space in the F55, especially in the trunk. While it obviously doesn't have the room a mini van has, I've never had any space issues fitting the family and we all enjoy the ride more. No super long trips yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to take everyone for a long ride. Hope that helps.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ToThePublic
No super long trips yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to take everyone for a long ride. Hope that helps.
Awesome, ya, thanks. It helps.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 AM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I've had a loaner F55 S for a week now. It's comfortable enough once you get in, but therein lies the trouble for me. They didn't lengthen the car all that much over a F56, but they stuck an additional 2 doors on it. At 6'4" and 250 pounds I have yet to find an easy/comfortable way to get in the car. Don't have that problem with the F56. My Grandson who just turned 9 over the weekend commented about the back doors without prompting... "Dang Papa. these doors are small". I wouldn't even attempt to get in the back seat myself.
Now, that's just my situation and opinion. I'm sure someone of smaller dimensions and with a young family would do nicely with this car. I know I did while living in Japan and driving a Yamaha station wagon that would make the F55 look huge in comparison. But, I was much younger, more limber/flexible (and a higher pain threshold) and had two small children.
Exactly my experience with the F55 loaner I had (I have a 2014 F56 MCS). The door opening is much smaller than my car and I had to be very aware or I would hit my head on the A pillar every time. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs.

I think the F55 could work as a family car while the kids are small. I recall putting my twin girls and son in the back of an '86 Accord for a year or so, so it can be done. But once they start to get bigger and you inevitably add a dog, etc. I can't see it being the primary family car.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:10 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ce_npb
Exactly my experience with the F55 loaner I had (I have a 2014 F56 MCS). The door opening is much smaller than my car and I had to be very aware or I would hit my head on the A pillar every time. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs. I think the F55 could work as a family car while the kids are small. I recall putting my twin girls and son in the back of an '86 Accord for a year or so, so it can be done. But once they start to get bigger and you inevitably add a dog, etc. I can't see it being the primary family car.
Had an F55 loaner last week, and DID smash my head on the frame so hard, getting in, it throbbed for an hour!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:20 AM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Does it work for your family. Ages?
Issues?

Thanks!
I use my F55 as a family car. My boys are 8 and 10. I do not allow drinks in my car. Longest road trip we have done is 4 hours. I buy my car based on what I like, not their comfort

Old 03-01-2016, 11:07 AM
k9oz
2nd Gear
We have F55 as family car. Use it to haul neices and nephews and aged parents around town. We drove to Florida for Chistmas with three adults and luggage. For camping we use roof rack. Is it family car if I had two teens? Probably not. We upgraded from a Clubman, and it's more usable for our situation with the back doors.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MomMini
I buy my car based on what I like, not their comfort
So you're saying you cram your kids in the car no matter how uncomfortable they are. Not sure thats a rousing endorsement as a family car.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:25 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
OP - If you like MINI, you should probably get a new Clubman. It is gorgeous and spacious.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
So you're saying you cram your kids in the car no matter how uncomfortable they are. Not sure thats a rousing endorsement as a family car.
Go buy a mini van if you want a "family car". My boys have never complained about being cramed in the car. They have plenty of room. I do all the errands, school runs, and school activities daily in my car. They are used to being in a Mini. Been driving one since they were toddlers.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:58 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MomMini
Go buy a mini van if you want a "family car". My boys have never complained about being cramed in the car. They have plenty of room. I do all the errands, school runs, and school activities daily in my car. They are used to being in a Mini. Been driving one since they were toddlers.
You said you base your car purchase on your comfort not theirs. I couldn't tell what that meant. I couldn't tell if that meant they're uncomfortable and you don't care or they like it just fine.

My kids are excited about the mini as the cool car. It seems fairly comfortable depending on how big they are etc. I was looking to see if we were the only ones considering using an F55 to transport a family. Other than the part about not caring about their comfort, your post sounds the most encouraging of being able to use it as a family car (not necessarily only family car).

We already have a minivan if we want to carry a ton of stuff like bikes inside, or tow our boat. But I need a commuter car and would like it to be reasonably comfortable taking my soon to be teenagers to school and maybe on trips where we don't need to take a ton of stuff. Our other choice is a VW Golf. Hardly a giant car, but noticeably bigger. Our kids like the F55 now, but I fear they may suddenly decide it's too cramped. We're on the short side so leg room isn't likely to be a problem, but width might with two teenage boys sharing the back seat.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
My boys are still small and room inside has not become an issue...yet. My husband drives a F150 Crewcab. My boys love dads truck. Backseat has heated seats. We pull a trailer with it. Hubs car is bigger and more roomy but my car is considered the family car. My next Mini will be a two door. Maybe by then my kids will have their own cars to drive so size is not an issue. I owned the Countryman previously and that car was great for families. Am glad the do not play hockey The gear would not fit in my car.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:29 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Not a direct answer to your F55 question but I have 2 boys that ride in my F56 daily ages 6 and 10. I take them to school every morning during the week. About a 20 minute ride. In the beginning it was not so bad but it's getting troublesome as they have grown. My oldest son has a hard time getting out at school from the back seat with all his gear, not that he can't its just getting tough. I have to keep all there stuff in the front seat and passenger floorboard, open the passenger door, hand them stuff, etc. I keep my stuff in the boot, no room for it in the front.

I considered a 3 hour road trip for a 2 night stay but quickly realized we would not get everyone and our gear in comfortably so we took the wife's MDX.

It's possible to use a F56/F55 as a family car for sure, just be open and ready for some challenges.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:46 PM
modernaccord
Neutral
Sorry, but not the F55.

95% of the time, it's just me.
4% of the time, it's me + my girlfriend.
1% of the time, it's me + girlfriend + 2 friends.

I'm definitely glad that full house only happens 1% of the time. Trying to haul more than 2 people in an F55 for any distance is a challenge, and your backseat passengers will almost certainly complain.

I suppose if you have 1 child, or 1 dog, it will work. Anything more than that and you'll definitely want a Clubman, Golf Sportwagen, GTI, 3 Series GT, or Countryman.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
Original reason for me posting the thread has passed.

I was debating getting an F55 for use by me, my wife and two kids, 10 & 13.
We decided. We ordered the F55 and took delivery last Saturday.

So far its working well for the four of us. We're not tall people. The four of us fit pretty comfortably within the car. Getting in and out, especially the back seats is an exercise in folding and twisting. Once in we're in, we're pretty comfortable.

We haven't tried any sort of a trip yet but probably will over the next week or so. Something short. We may try to do a longer trip.

We're loving the panoramic sunroof. Spring has sprung here and the sunroof is awesome for passengers in front and back.

I'm getting used to various aspects of the car still. But space wise, so far its ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 F55 as family car