F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 BMW/Mini Passenger Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
Right, they cant make you do it, but ask your brother what your liability is if your passenger is injured or killed in an accident if you dont.
There is a law called unknowing liability insurance, in other words, if you don't know if there is any liability insurance in an action that may cause a loss, you must assume there is no liability insurance to use.

Any time you ride in someone's car, you assume your own risk.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
You can bet that your dealer will make a note that you declined the recall fix. That fact would be easily discoverable by a plaintiffs lawyer and definitely would not look good negligence wise especially if injury resulted from that action or lack thereof.
I wasn't crazy about them tearing out my back seats and rear side panels for the side impact recall, but my Grandkids ride back there occasionally so I bit the bullet.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks for that link....My MINI has no recalls (so far)! I sincerely hope it stays that way!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:03 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BennyF...Thanks fr checking with your BIL..much appreciated. I agree with you 1,000% re: tearing the car apart. My car is NOT in this re-call, and I would share your same sentiments. However, I would fear if I did not have this done, and there was an accident, I would be screwed. On the same line, I am awaiting parts to the vinegar smell from the A/C to be repaired. A dash tear out and a very long warrenty repair. I am NOT happy about it, as I fear MINI will rattle like a bucket of bolts......and it's a New Car!!! I do understand where you are coming from.......................

Old 11-15-2015, 01:53 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
You can bet that your dealer will make a note that you declined the recall fix. That fact would be easily discoverable by a plaintiffs lawyer and definitely would not look good negligence wise especially if injury resulted from that action or lack thereof.
I wasn't crazy about them tearing out my back seats and rear side panels for the side impact recall, but my Grandkids ride back there occasionally so I bit the bullet.
I had the rear seat recall done, easy-peesy...compared to this one. Anyway, I wont go there at this point with this recall. The dealer does not know if you decline or just did not do it.

If you really really really want to get technical, anything with a SRS recall is issue to an auto manufacture, they must provide a loaner until it is corrected. I don't see that...Honda told dealers to give customers loaners while their cars were in limbo. They did not happen. To many to service.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:34 PM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
When you go in for service and they read the key, it will tell them that the vehicle is subject to recall. When they tell you about it, you don't think they'll make note of you declining the work? You can bet they'll make sure their butts are covered. That's how they checked to see if I had any more recalls or TSB's when I took the car in for the rear seat thing.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The "open recall" will not go away till it's repaired. Dealer checked wifes car when she traded in, and made note to me all recalls were completed and none outstanding. Responsibility clearly lies with the owner. Could even be a larger liability issue if a car is sold privately and the second owner had and a serious injury/death resulting from a recall the seller did not complete and had prior knowledge.....YIKES!!!!!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlphaQuad
Here you go, unless they can remove the airbag without removing the dash, by trying to go under the glove box. What a hassle to replace just an airbag.

Holy crap! Well, color me wrong! This is just crazy! Well, there is a reason to their madness and maybe they felt the only way to make sure the install is done correctly is to remove the entire dash. I'm very surprised by this.

I'm glad I'm not part of the recall, but if something ever indicates I have to get it done, I'm passing. No way.

Yes, I'm also in SoCal.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:35 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
What do you do if you live like 100 miles from another dealer, and your local dealer has a million bad reviews about the $hitty work they do. They have a bad reputation for crappy work in our area. Both times I was there for minor stuff, you could hear people complaining.

They did a chrome ring on my headlight that was peeling and scratched the car. I had it professionally touch up perfect at 90.00.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:55 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
When anyone gets this done, please post your thoughts.

I am getting a gut feeling that the wording of the recall is quite MILD...

I spoke to a few dealers, and some are in the dark about this. That is a surprise to me as if a manufacture needed to hide something from its customers, don't say a word to no one... period.

Like the GM ignition thing...

Could this be that airbag that explodes with metal fragments??? who's is to say. Would you put your 70 year old MOM in that seat.... HELL NO.

Somethings if fishy here. I plan ti file an inquiry with NHTSA ASAP. I don't like the way this is being handled

Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
"A month before the accident, your car was being serviced at the dealer. Is that correct?"
"Yes, sir"
"Did the dealer inform you that there was an outstanding safety recall for the air bag on your vehicle?"
"Yes, they did."
"What was your response?"
"I told them not to perform the recall service."
"And why was that?"
"Because I was afraid the dash might rattle".
"No further questions, your honor."

Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
"A month before the accident, your car was being serviced at the dealer. Is that correct?"
"Yes, sir"
"Did the dealer inform you that there was an outstanding safety recall for the air bag on your vehicle?"
"Yes, they did."
"What was your response?"
"I told them not to perform the recall service."
"And why was that?"
"Because I was afraid the dash might rattle".
"No further questions, your honor."
Now that we know you are a good playwright...that is not the case.

There are no parts and their is no procedure for the repair as of this writing.

Present the consumer with the proper facts, and I am sure, I would do the recall. Like I said, if you had it done, and it was done in-properly, square one again. This whole recall is weird, especially for a safety item like this. Why are they so nonchalant about it. That was my ?

Old 11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I spoke with some friends of mine who work in service:

-There is no procedure in place yet for the recall.
-It is a voluntary recall by MINI.

From MINI:
"Q3. What is the specific issue involving this recall?
This recall involves the passenger-side front air bag module. Due to a supplier error in the manufacturing process, internal components of the air bag inflator were not assembled as specified. Therefore, a sufficient margin of compliance to certain NHTSA safety regulations cannot be ensured.
Q4. What can happen as a result of this issue?
In a low speed crash (out-of-position/low risk deployment) in which the passenger-side front air bag deploys with the first stage only, inappropriate air bag restraint may be provided to the passenger, increasing the risk of injury."

- There have been no reports of this happening in the real world.
- Recall notices will go out to affected customers once a procedure is in place to replace the airbag module and parts are in stock. Customers should wait until they receive their notice.
- The procedure takes approximately 3 hours
- This is NOT related to the big Takata airbag recalls that affected other manufacturers

Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BennyF
There are no parts and their is no procedure for the repair as of this writing.

Present the consumer with the proper facts, and I am sure, I would do the recall. Like I said, if you had it done, and it was done in-properly, square one again. This whole recall is weird, especially for a safety item like this. Why are they so nonchalant about it. That was my ?
Usually it's because they are still figuring out the logistics behind the recall and don't want to put out anything until they can to prevent misinformation and unnecessary customer frustrations. This is not a mandated recall like a lot of other recalls we read about all the time, but there was enough of a concern that MINI wanted to address it.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:53 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Usually it's because they are still figuring out the logistics behind the recall and don't want to put out anything until they can to prevent misinformation and unnecessary customer frustrations. This is not a mandated recall like a lot of other recalls we read about all the time, but there was enough of a concern that MINI wanted to address it.
Hey, thanks! great info. Voluntary mean I can accept or decline it?

3 hour repair...wow.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Hey, thanks! great info. Voluntary mean I can accept or decline it?

3 hour repair...wow.
They can't force you to do it, but the passenger airbag may not deploy as designed if you don't get it replaced.

It looks like MINI has released the procedure to dealers and affected owners should be getting their notices with instructions on when to bring their cars in. I haven't seen the procedure though, sorry, but I imagine it's similar to what has been posted previously

Old 11-27-2015, 02:28 PM
AlphaQuad
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
My car is at the dealer for some front suspension issues, so I'm having the recall done, today. Crossing my fingers everything will be ok and I'm sure it will be, and if they don't put it back together correctly I'll keep going back until they do lol !!

Old 11-28-2015, 02:07 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Can anyone post the procedure?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2015, 02:08 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AlphaQuad
My car is at the dealer for some front suspension issues, so I'm having the recall done, today. Crossing my fingers everything will be ok and I'm sure it will be, and if they don't put it back together correctly I'll keep going back until they do lol !!
One guy said they have to remove the steering wheel, center console, tach and HVAC *****. all front panels and side to dash.

dam...

Old 11-28-2015, 03:43 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Can anyone post the procedure?

Thanks
AlphaQuad posted the procedure earlier in the thread. It's from an older bulletin, but the procedure is the same I believe.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4144365

Old 11-28-2015, 06:24 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
AlphaQuad posted the procedure earlier in the thread. It's from an older bulletin, but the procedure is the same I believe.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4144365
Hell No.....

I saw that procedure and I will guarantee you a case of Omaha Steaks, you can't remove that many parts, clips, screws and panels and expect no after issues. I am to old for that BS and to wise to know better.

I had a car that had a firewall issue recall. and it was never the same even after tons or post visit and BS excuses and a ton of it's something else. I later took it a company that did custom interiors for classic cars. They said a ton of screws missing and even more clips broken. You know they do NOT get rein-burst for parts broken taken off and some cost a lot.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:23 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
I heard today the the dealers have the procedure and are waiting till further information comes from MINI. Most dealers I spoke to are hesitant to do it. Also, parts are ordered by VIN and that it would take by 2016 to get done. Did you know that all the electronic equipment in the dash must be remove because of capacitors and this is consider a risky recall to complete successfully. I was told, you could request a factory specialize engineer to do the work if you are uncomfortable at the dealer. As I said, this may be more that you think. Oh, for those who have not gotten the RED flag envelope from MINI, its scary to read and full of what to do and not to do while waiting.

According to most lemon laws in most states, the have so many days to complete or it kicks in....that is from the notification letter. Also note the date you communicated to the dealer if you wish to take action.

DId you know there is an explosive device in all air bags. They are not sent by normal means such as UPS or FedEx. They are sent by special courier.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:03 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Anyone get the recall done yet?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM
MiniSBruce
1st Gear
I got it done and my both of the airbag lights are still on

Old 01-26-2016, 01:21 PM
bearcatflex
Neutral
Checking to see if there is a newer thread on this...

Has anyone had this recall performed? More importantly, how was it done? And any residual issues?

"MiniSBruce" did and was having some airbag light issues.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 BMW/Mini Passenger Airbag Recall