North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 BMW/Mini Passenger Airbag Recall (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/294860-bmw-mini-passenger-airbag-recall.html)

Rocket_man 10-24-2015 02:10 AM

BMW/Mini Passenger Airbag Recall

Can't find much info on this new recall, just announced today. But based on the number of cars affected, only some Mini's are part of the recall. I wish I knew because I'm usually the passenger in our Mini.. :lol:

"BMW is replacing the passenger's side front airbag module on 6,073 vehicles in the US because of a supplier's manufacturing issue with the part. The affected models include the: 2014-2015 i3; 2014-2016 Mini Hardtop 2 Door Cooper and Cooper S; 2015-2016 Hardtop 2 Door John Cooper Works; and 2015-2016 Hardtop 4 Door Cooper and Cooper S.

Because the airbag components aren't made correctly, they might not deploy with enough restraint in a low-speed collision. BMW isn't aware of any accidents or injuries from the problem, but this is still obviously a safety concern. According to company spokesperson David Buchko to Autoblog, customers will be notified about the issue by mail in November. As always, dealers will perform the replacements at no cost to owners."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/20/b...eplace-airbag/

anotherminiinthegarage 10-24-2015 10:23 AM

Checked our 2015 Cooper with her VIN. Not recalled.

BennyF 10-26-2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by anotherminiinthegarage (Post 4137366)
Checked our 2015 Cooper with her VIN. Not recalled.

Do you think it would be in the database yet with VIN checking on their site.

and note. I think this is a total dash tear out to replace the bag...

anyone add to this. CRAP...rattles here we come.

BennyF 10-26-2015 09:23 PM

PS, I just saw a video of a CM passenger AB removal.

If that is the case, forget it. You will have rattles, cause most MINI techs are dingos and don't take care to do it right. Its a major job..

vetsvette 10-27-2015 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by BennyF (Post 4138159)
You will have rattles, cause most MINI techs are dingos and don't take care to do it right. Its a major job..

Paintin' with a rather broad brush there, aren't you? :eek:

MINIDean 10-27-2015 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BennyF (Post 4138158)
Do you think it would be in the database yet with VIN checking on their site.

and note. I think this is a total dash tear out to replace the bag...

anyone add to this. CRAP...rattles here we come.

The passenger side air bag does not require dash removal. At most, they will remove the glove box to gain access to the four nuts that hold the airbag to the underside of the dash for replacement. It's pretty straight forward and most cars built today have this same exact setup for serviceability.

BennyF 10-28-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MINIDean (Post 4138336)
The passenger side air bag does not require dash removal. At most, they will remove the glove box to gain access to the four nuts that hold the airbag to the underside of the dash for replacement. It's pretty straight forward and most cars built today have this same exact setup for serviceability.

Hey, thanks.

Mrdi 10-28-2015 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BennyF (Post 4138159)
PS, I just saw a video of a CM passenger AB removal.

If that is the case, forget it. You will have rattles, cause most MINI techs are dingos and don't take care to do it right. Its a major job..

POST the video Benny.

BennyF 11-13-2015 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mrdi (Post 4138868)
POST the video Benny.

I have trying to find it again, but there are some on youtube with similar dash work and you can see the bag.

I hope as hell it from under the dash..

AlphaQuad 11-13-2015 11:07 AM

According to the official repair instructions from MINI to perform this repair, it does require the removal of the entire dash, steering wheel and center console.

MINIDean 11-13-2015 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by AlphaQuad (Post 4144347)
According to the official repair instructions from MINI to perform this repair, it does require the removal of the entire dash, steering wheel and center console.

Surprising. Let's see the bulletin. I'm curious now.

AlphaQuad 11-13-2015 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, unless they can remove the airbag without removing the dash, by trying to go under the glove box. What a hassle to replace just an airbag.

AlphaQuad 11-13-2015 11:51 AM

BTW @ MINIDean you located in SOCAL?

BennyF 11-13-2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaQuad (Post 4144365)
Here you go, unless they can remove the airbag without removing the dash, by trying to go under the glove box. What a hassle to replace just an airbag.

I was told by a very reliable source, it a PITA. I was right, it will be butchery to remove and replace. Not meant to be removed so it was designed accordingly.

AlphaQuad 11-13-2015 06:25 PM

I wonder if we can just skip the recall. It is voluntary, right? I don't fancy them tearing out my dash either.

Blues Trucker 11-13-2015 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaQuad (Post 4144575)
I wonder if we can just skip the recall. It is voluntary, right? I don't fancy them tearing out my dash either.

I would think youd want to find out if your car is even on the recall list before you start worrying over it............................... Theres only 6,073 being recalled.

BennyF 11-13-2015 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blues Trucker (Post 4144584)
I would think youd want to find out if your car is even on the recall list before you start worrying over it............................... Theres only 6,073 being recalled.

Ours is on the list and we are NOT doing it.

It a proven fact that most get hurt from the air bag than the accident. Guaranteed a tech will break clips and lose screws in the interim and not say a word until you go down a bumpy road.

AlphaQuad 11-13-2015 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blues Trucker (Post 4144584)

http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...rt/recall.html
I already checked, unfortunately my car is one of the recalled ones. Build date 03/2014

I'm with BennyF on this one, I had my fuel tank replaced per a service bulletin, because when I would fill up the car the gas nozzle would click repeatedly, well when they installed the fuel pump back onto the tank the tech didn't seat the o-ring correctly so fuel was leaking when I filled up my car, which would have been a fire hazard ! I mean you take it back and they will fix it but its just the hassle and taking apart the whole dash seems like a big task , and I'm not really confident when they can't even seat a gasket correctly :( let alone disassemble the whole dash.

Rocket_man 11-13-2015 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaQuad (Post 4144608)
I already checked, unfortunately my car is one of the recalled ones. Build date 03/2014

I'm with BennyF on this one, I had my fuel tank replaced per a service bulletin, because when I would fill up the car the gas nozzle would click repeatedly, well when they installed the fuel pump back onto the tank the tech didn't seat the o-ring correctly so fuel was leaking when I filled up my car, which would have been a fire hazard ! I mean you take it back and they will fix it but its just the hassle and taking apart the whole dash seems like a big task , and I'm not really confident when they can't even seat a gasket correctly :( let alone disassemble the whole dash.

Luckily our car is not on the list. That repair looks ridiculous.

Blues Trucker 11-14-2015 04:24 AM

Ah, ya. OK. In an earlier post Benny had asked if the recall list was even out and I hadnt seen an answer to that, so I was going on that.
Thats a tuff one, I wonder how insurance will view not making the repair?

dpcompt 11-14-2015 09:03 AM

Recall link

Thanks for the link. My car was built in September, 2014( a '15S ). Fortunately, my only recall is the rear passenger upgrade.

D.D. 11-14-2015 11:40 AM

If you choose NOT to have it repaired, how would this likely effect an insurance claim based on a recall ignored? The insurance company would have the advantage here.........

BennyF 11-14-2015 06:56 PM

My brother is an attorney. He said that when something like this gets replaced, the tech must sign a small sticker on the Air Bag. Also, the tech must be certified to do this 100%, SRS certified. You can even ask to see their certificate. Service manager has to do a final inspection before he closes up the dash. I have made up my mind. OK lets say you get a incompetent tech, and installed it incorrectly. It does not go off, are you square one as if you did not do the recall. I looked at my car today, and you would think it would go in by the hidden glove or bottom one.

Also, answer me this, why does the tach have to be removed and all the HVAC controls as well. like I said, they were not meant to be removed cleanly and replaced.

Looking at the procedure, why cant just the top of the dash be removed only. That to me would be an easy fix, but the procedure calls for 3 hours...3 hours...wow

BennyF 11-14-2015 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by D.D. (Post 4144726)
If you choose NOT to have it repaired, how would this likely effect an insurance claim based on a recall ignored? The insurance company would have the advantage here.........

They cant make you do it. I had that check into.

Blues Trucker 11-14-2015 09:47 PM

Right, they cant make you do it, but ask your brother what your liability is if your passenger is injured or killed in an accident if you dont.