F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Underpowered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:59 PM
caiken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
This topic is so silly imo. These cars are light, super tossable, power to weight is great. Not sure how much the amg weighs but in the non drag race real world passing the Mini is outstanding.
Get JCW and the 285 hp tune.
This. Can't wait to get the 285 tune.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:32 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by caiken
This. Can't wait to get the 285 tune.
I know - Can you imagine how fast the car would be - even more silly!

Old 10-05-2015, 04:09 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In terms of horsepower per Liter, the Mini is definitely lagging behind the competition. One reason, as others have said is that the chose to put lots of torque down low which means hardly any turbo lag, but they also run out of breath by 5k rpm.

More horsepower in this little front wheel drive car would just spin the tire (no limited slip on these guys).

This low specific power output also means that the engine components are less stressed which plays into better reliability... or at least it could or should.

We also get great gas mileage out of our cars. My S has got into the 40s multiple times and I don't think I've ever had a tank under 30mpg. Turn up that boost and your gas is going to disappear a lot faster. The new CAFE requirements are based on gas mileage and the footprint of your car. The narrow, short wheelbase F56 really needs to keep its numbers up.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
... Why is it that even the JCW Mini is so "underpowered"?
...none have as little hp as the Mini 2.0 turbo, at least in MCS form. Mini's 2.0 performs very well in my opinion and is satisfactory in all respects - but its rated hp is low.
... And not so old that I would choose 200hp over 300hp.
...how about some real power?

(I notice that one of you describes me as a troll - that's new to me and a little disagreeable - and I'd say it mischaracterizes my enthusiasm).
Let's look again at the OP's posts. First he's talking about the JCW, and then when I answer his question, he changes the subject to the MCS. Now he's talking about choosing 300 HP, and yet he didn't; he chose the 189 HP Cooper S. This is your thread; what exactly is your argument?

You claim your enthusiasm is mischaracterized, yet you've had all the time in the world to accurate convey your intentions. Most of your posts are inflammatory, constantly belittling MINI. We can't read your mind, only what you've written.

If you're so upset by the lack of power in your car, you have several options to fix the problem. None of which require belittling the brand, the car, or ignoring technical and financial reasons why the engine power in a $24k car doesn't match the power in a $48k car.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HogWldFLTR
It's powerful enough for me to get in trouble with (although most of the time my S is in Green mode).
100% this.

In Green Mode, I putter around on my morning commute, enjoying the comfort of the interior and refined little touches that make me happy. In Mid Mode, I have an appropriate level of fun on suburban roads, mostly with taking traffic circles without having to slow down, since top speeds and acceleration are still pointless. In Sport Mode, which I stayed in yesterday for my drive along rural back roads, I have more than enough acceleration to put an insane smile on my face, a high enough top speed that I would get thrown in jail if I even approached it, and handling that literally made me giggle numerous times.

And keep in mind, I am "only" on the base F55 with 134 HP. Anything more than that and I'd either get pulled over for reckless driving or end up dead. I personally don't see why any car needs better than 129 mph top speed and a 7.3 second 0-60 time unless it's on a race track. To be perfectly honest, if car manufacturers were legally required to limit their road vehicles' top speeds to 90 mph and acceleration to no lower than 7.0 seconds, I'd be perfectly fine with that because 99% of the time, if you're exceeding those, you're putting yourself and / or others at risk.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
100% this.

And keep in mind, I am "only" on the base F55 with 134 HP. Anything more than that and I'd either get pulled over for reckless driving or end up dead. I personally don't see why any car needs better than 129 mph top speed and a 7.3 second 0-60 time unless it's on a race track. To be perfectly honest, if car manufacturers were legally required to limit their road vehicles' top speeds to 90 mph and acceleration to no lower than 7.0 seconds, I'd be perfectly fine with that because 99% of the time, if you're exceeding those, you're putting yourself and / or others at risk.
i can appreciate where you are coming from about getting into trouble with regard to speed. Highway culture in America is not conducive to speeding. whether its government wanting tax you for speeding or nuckle heads making driving a truly dangerous activity because they on the phone, sleep, or whatever. Speed doesn't kill. Absent minded, distracted, negligent driving kills.

there is a book i'd like to share to whom ever is interested. its called "American Autobahn" by Mark Rask. its a very interesting book on driving dynamics in Germany vs America.. (slower speeds do not save lives, competent drivers save lives)

Old 10-05-2015, 12:22 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I know - Can you imagine how fast the car would be - even more silly!
Had a 300hp+ r56 fjcw and it was a handful

Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BMDoubleU
Speed doesn't kill. Absent minded, distracted, negligent driving kills.
I generally agree with this, because using excessive speed for the conditions is still negligent driving.

The problem is, the vast majority of roads are not engineered for speeds in excess of 70 - 80 mph, even for a lot of interstates (though some are). Also, the culture of driving is pretty much set here and I don't think we'll ever be able to significantly reduce the number of bad drivers until Google/Apple cars rule the road.

I wonder if we could attack the issue from two sides by having multiple types of driver's licenses, not for classes of vehicles, but for driving ability. From 16 - 21 years old, a driver can only have a car that is tuned to never exceed 70 mph and certain acceleration thresholds. At 21, a driver with a clean record can take another more advanced class (with a lot of in-car training that also includes accident avoidance from other drivers) that would allow him / her to drive a vehicle with more performance.

I'm spitballing ideas, because I doubt any serious changes could actually be made.

I just see so many situations where high performance cars are a threat to public safety because the driver over-does it in inappropriate situations. Flooring the accelerator off the line is dangerous, even if you never actually exceed the speed limit, because so many drivers run red lights around here. Even on interstates, high speeds are dangerous because there's so many times where traffic suddenly grinds to a halt. There's multiple accidents on I-270 every day because of this.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:43 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Just drove from Toronto to Chicago and back. on the way back with a 400 lb fridge in the back (Audi Q5).
The driver's in Toronto are imho the worst but I was shocked at what I witnessed on the drive. People were driving crazy in all types of cars. Often the small ones though. Cutting people off, dangerous undertaking, death wish video game your diving.....and that's probably where they learned to drive.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:25 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got to drive in Montana one Thursday afternoon when there was no speed limit. I sure wish I'd had a faster car.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerhands
I got to drive in Montana one Thursday afternoon when there was no speed limit. I sure wish I'd had a faster car.
The speed limit in my neighborhood is 25 MPH; these MINI's are so overpowered it's dangerous!

[/s]

Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 AM
dirtyscarab
2nd Gear
300 bhp + on a front wheel drive car is ludicrous. The thing would understeer off the planet. 200-250 bhp is plenty for a small car.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM
chuck r
3rd Gear
Without trying to be a total jerk, I would guess that most people could not get the most out of a stock mini cooper s or any car for that matter. Driving at full speed on a freeway has nothing to do with car handling skills. Anyone can mash the accelerator pedal.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
This is a classic troll thread IMO. For power/weight ratio the JCW is second only to some AMG Mercedes I think.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
  • Originally Posted by thegrommit
    answer: How much does that amg cost?

got em

Old 10-06-2015, 06:25 PM
BillM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dirtyscarab
300 bhp + on a front wheel drive car is ludicrous. The thing would understeer off the planet. 200-250 bhp is plenty for a small car.
Any car with (and actually without) sufficient horsepower needs to be driven with some basic technique. The MCS could do with more stock power. It is nicely balanced, I agree. But after appropriately squeezing in full throttle on turn exit, it is a bit of a yawn. It seems apparent that it is a bit detuned, I would guess due to its positioning in the market.

I have turned laps in two race-prepped minis with likely 300 or so horsepower. The chassis seemed okay with it. They were both fast and stable. But with expensive suspensions, and tires. But in even street form, my stock '14 MCS I'm sure would be more fun with more power. I had a Saab 93 with 240hp, due to re-flash, and stock was 205hp. The difference was night and day, and even though that chassis had no business having the final torque (Google "viggen rescue kit" if curious), it was a lot more fun. I think the MCS with 240hp would be a real blast.

With dynamic stability disengaged, the car responds classically with understeer and oversteer, and more sensitivity to throttle when near the limit, would just add more fun for the right kind of driver. It is not hobbled by understeer, and more power would not change its existing ability to rotate into oversteer with throttle steering. Not going to debate what the right kind of driver is.

That said, it's irresponsible to put the car at the limit in public driving situations. Period. I do it once in awhile on an on-ramp or off-ramp that I'm familiar with, and I rationalize it pretty sophisticatedly, but it's still wrong. Go to the track instead, which is what I've done for four thousand miles or something.

But I'll probably buy the BMS or NM piggyback module nonetheless. Sigh. Yes, I am a walking contradiction of sorts.. It's just a pretty fun car, nonetheless.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Let's look again at the OP's posts. First he's talking about the JCW, and then when I answer his question, he changes the subject to the MCS. Now he's talking about choosing 300 HP, and yet he didn't; he chose the 189 HP Cooper S. This is your thread; what exactly is your argument?

You claim your enthusiasm is mischaracterized, yet you've had all the time in the world to accurate convey your intentions. Most of your posts are inflammatory, constantly belittling MINI. We can't read your mind, only what you've written.

If you're so upset by the lack of power in your car, you have several options to fix the problem. None of which require belittling the brand, the car, or ignoring technical and financial reasons why the engine power in a $24k car doesn't match the power in a $48k car.
Definitely this!

Bottom line, he enjoys complaining pure and simple. If it's not this he will find something else to compain about, can only imagine what he is like in person!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Bottom line, he enjoys complaining pure and simple. If it's not this he will find something else to compain about, can only imagine what he is like in person!"

Dear MINI Enthusiast,

That comment is directed at me, the OP. Could the poster be correct - that I simply enjoy complaining? Frankly I didn't mean to complain, but only to observe and question. If you've read through this thread would you let me know whether it's difficult for you to imagine what I'm like in person... and whether I'm apt to complain too much? Kindly advise me or that poster. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Right on

Originally Posted by Systemlord
Definitely this!

Bottom line, he enjoys complaining pure and simple. If it's not this he will find something else to compain about, can only imagine what he is like in person!
Thumbs up to Systemlord and Ryephile

Old 10-07-2015, 04:43 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Sailorlite,

How much hp do you think the MCS and the JCW should have? What hp would maximize the driving experience?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If two MINI's were available, one with 189hp and the other with 300hp, I believe I'd choose the 300hp one. Yes, of course the general layout and suspension wouldn't handle 300hp without serious serious modification - but I'd choose 300hp anyway and try to drive carefully, safely, and responsibly. What I definitely would not do is look over at the 189hp version and say to myself, "I wish I didn't have all this extra power and I apologize for liking it". How about you?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Troll

If two MINI's were available, one with 189hp and the other with 300hp, I believe I'd choose the 300hp one. Yes, of course the general layout and suspension wouldn't handle 300hp without serious serious modification - but I'd choose 300hp anyway and try to drive carefully, safely, and responsibly. What I definitely would not do is look over at the 189hp version and say to myself, "I wish I didn't have all this extra power and I apologize for liking it". How about you?
What a F*&%king troll

Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I seriously doubt Mini would trust anyone to drive a 300 HP Mini FWD hatchback without rapping yourself around a tree. Now if Mini did want to come out with such a powerful Mini, it would be in another price class (AWD) and the price would be very near $40,000-$50,000 grand, are you prepared to spend that much for a daily driver?

I can tell you the majority of consumers would not buy it, it would now enter the enthusiasts market. MINI isn't targeting that market. When you get into a 300 HP car there usually AWD or RWD, there aren't many 300 HP FWD cars out there with good reason.

All things aside, you didn't buy your 189 HP MCS because you were unhappy with it, or did you? I think everyone knows why you bought it and not the JCW not that it would have the HP you really wanted either. I'm sorry but your entire thread and posts are indeed irrational, that's shared by just about everyone.

What you really want is a 300 HP Mini for the money you paid for your 189 HP Mini, I think that about sums it up. What's the thread title, underpowered.

Last edited by Systemlord; 10-07-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:29 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Troll

Originally Posted by Systemlord
I seriously doubt Mini would trust anyone to drive a 300 HP Mini FWD hatchback without rapping yourself around a tree. Now if Mini did want to come out with such a powerful Mini, it would be in another price class (AWD) and the price would be very near $40,000-$50,000 grand, are you prepared to spend that much for a daily driver?

I can tell you the majority of consumers would not buy it, it would now enter the enthusiasts market. MINI isn't targeting that market. When you get into a 300 HP car there usually AWD or RWD, there aren't many 300 HP FWD cars out there with good reason.

All things aside, you didn't buy your 189 HP MCS because you were unhappy with it, or did you? I think everyone knows why you bought it and not the JCW not that it would have the HP you really wanted either. I'm sorry but your entire thread and posts are indeed irrational, that's shared by just about everyone.
We're just feeding this troll. He's getting off on this. NA ought to cut off this conversation.

Last edited by dpcompt; 10-07-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: troll
Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
We're just feeding this troll. He's getting off on this. NA ought to cut off this conversation.
You know what I think your right, I'm beginning to see a pattern of baiting members into responding to feed on. Now I think it's time to click unsubscribe!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Underpowered?