F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Phone mount suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 AM
George 2014
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have the Cravenspeed mount with the scissors-type bracket. No complaints other than wishing the arm was about 1" longer. I did route the power cable through the console so it is mostly hidden.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:35 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by George 2014
We have the Cravenspeed mount with the scissors-type bracket. No complaints other than wishing the arm was about 1" longer. I did route the power cable through the console so it is mostly hidden.
I could make you a scissor with a 1.5 inch longer arm if you like. Just email me.

It is worth noting for other readers that the viewing angle is entirely dependent on things like your height, seat position and wheel position. We chose the length we did because it works for most people but we are happy to help make adjustments to make sure you are 100% satisfied with your CravenSpeed product.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:32 PM
michi1201
2nd Gear
+ 1 for this guy—he's got it right

Originally Posted by sal1k
a couple of pictures of an iphone 5 (in case) mounted horizontally and vertically.

as you can see, plenty of slack on the lightning cable, which is gently wrapped around the mount itself, and snaked between the dashboard panels down to the usb port. (see previously quoted thread for pictures).

+ 1

Old 12-01-2014, 12:47 PM
michi1201
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sal1k
Dongood has it right. Tightening the central screw helps quite a bit for a loose scissor mount.

Furthermore, here's a really helpful thread for those considering the very good Carvenspeed mount.

There are some idiosyncrasies during installation that a few of us experienced (noted in the thread above).

Oh, I'll try to post pics of the phone in place, in both the horizontal and vertical positions from my car tonight. I've found that if you leave a bit of slack in your phone charger, and wind it around the mount itself... see pictures in the thread noted above, the phone will not move.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:19 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
A regular 3' cord works well to loop over the center circle thing. If the cord is a little thicker, you can wedge it nicely under the rubbery dash material. Thin cords flop out.

Yes, just tighten that screw up. And try to keep the phone more centered in the grip.

Bottom line- I like the Craven mount very much. Awesome that they offer to make these little custom corrections for individuals!

Ok- pics!

This is how I'm using it now, angled down.

With phone, from my eye POV. iPhone 6- smaller phone won't get cut off so bad. I'm 6', and I like the wheel all the way at the highest height. My hand cuts into the screen a bit, but as you see below, that's an issue in any position for me. In this position, if I get around to it, I will add a spacer and longer screw so that the phone is like 1" closer to me. That way it'll clear the vent control ****. I *think* an 18" cord will work in this position.

The usual options... I don't like the way it cuts into my vision, not that it matters. And hard to reach the phone to tap. Not that I should be doing that, but I do. I agree, and 1" longer arm would be great. And / or an arm that comes forward at an angle to get it closer to me.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
A regular 3' cord works well to loop over the center circle thing. If the cord is a little thicker, you can wedge it nicely under the rubbery dash material. Thin cords flop out.

Yes, just tighten that screw up. And try to keep the phone more centered in the grip.

Bottom line- I like the Craven mount very much. Awesome that they offer to make these little custom corrections for individuals!

Ok- pics!

This is how I'm using it now, angled down.

With phone, from my eye POV. iPhone 6- smaller phone won't get cut off so bad. I'm 6', and I like the wheel all the way at the highest height. My hand cuts into the screen a bit, but as you see below, that's an issue in any position for me. In this position, if I get around to it, I will add a spacer and longer screw so that the phone is like 1" closer to me. That way it'll clear the vent control ****. I *think* an 18" cord will work in this position.
I have spacers and bolts too, send me an email and I can get you a set.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:07 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed this Cravenspeed mount. A couple of points of interest:
* I found installation easiest with the steering column tilted to its highest position. Telescoping the steering wheel made no difference.
* The initial screws holding the Speedo/Tach on the dash are located behind rubber grommets (on the 2015).
* The heads of these screws are T-20 torx.
* Don't worry too much about having to fish one of these screws out if you happen to drop one (I dropped the right-side screw) into your dash. I was able to "flip" the screw forward through the gap between the steering column and dash.
* The three screws behind the tach (to which you will affix the mount) are Phillips head screws.
* Unclipping the electronics cable is accomplished by releasing the bottom of the clip using a (small) flat-head screwdriver.
* The kit comes with longer Phillips head screws to use once you've affixed the mount.
* The nut on the back of the mount is a 7/16" and the hex located behind the stickied pad in the center of the mount is 5/16" (IIRC).

Old 12-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Lightwrangler
1st Gear
I have the ProClip mount for an iPhone, I also had that on my R55. I works well, doesn't interfere with any switches or the glove boxes. It's not too expensive and intalls in minutes. I found a coiled cord on Amazon that connects USB to lighting and it stays neatly out of the way.

adrian

Old 12-05-2014, 10:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
The MINI click and drive has a very OEM feel as it fits the design of the cabin and comes with holders for certain models like iPhone 4 and 5 , I imagine the 6 and 6+ will be here soon.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/MINI_Click_&_Drive_System/

Good luck on whatever you decide.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 PM
InIt4Fun
1st Gear
I'm amazed by how helpful everyone is on this forum! Thank you guys so much for making suggestions, answering all of my questions, and posting so many pictures - I really appreciate it! I think I'm going to go with the cravenspeed mount

Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 PM
kongjie
1st Gear
FYI Cravenspeed now has a mount compatible with the iPhone 6 Plus. You just have to buy the clamping part and replace the scissors, without removing the whole thing. Works great.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I ended up getting the hottie Easy One Touch 2 car mount. I wanted something with a longer arm and it ultimately fit the bill pretty well.

Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/Plus (5.5) /5s/5c, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 4/3, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/Plus (5.5) /5s/5c, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 4/3, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

My original plan was to have it mounted on the left off of the windshield, or on the dash to the right of the speedo. I found both to be distracting as they were slightly in my line of sight.

I finally mounted the suction cup to the center console, below the climate controls, on the right side. Turns out to be a great, out-of-the-way position for the phone. can see and manipulate the phone if necessary but not distracting in any way.

I'll post a pic if i get a chance. Mount works well, only issue i have is that it snaps closed on the phone so hard I'm worried it's going to pinch a finger.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:16 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the price, I got
this sand bag type thingy this sand bag type thingy
, and mounted a suction cup type holder that I had. It's working pretty well and when I park, I just put it on the seat or on the floor. Much more convenient than suction cup stuck on the windshield.

I usually just put it up in front of the passenger dash area trying to not cover the already-small visibility.

I think paying over $100 is just too much, and there's not much space to add a mount on the windshield. And it's far to reach too.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I mounted a Pro-Clip to a MacAlly cup-holder mount. I've since hidden the cord beneath the base. One-handed charging works best for me. Phone mount suggestions please-image-265093603.jpg

Phone mount suggestions please-image-3533318040.jpg

Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
got the Click & Drive for Christmas and had the dealer install it, which wasn't cheap. Do it yourself if you can.

It's good, it doesn't feel like it will break. The Garmin ball works with the cradle I bought. The iPod is above the steering wheel from my point of view.

It should be standard equipment.

It has a little clip like a plastic hex nut where the ball connects to the arm, so that you can quickly disconnect your device and swing the arm down, that's the click part. It's too bad that it's hex and not oct, because you can't pull it out and rotate it 90°, it rotates 120°.

I also had the dealer install a car warmer, I'm a warm and happy fellow. It is mounted on a piece of plywood and unplugs on the inside. Different. I move it over to the driver's footwell and am not freezing after 12 hours of -30°.

Attached Thumbnails Phone mount suggestions please-image.jpg  

Last edited by hammerhands; 01-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
It's only going to let me do one at a time today. -8° Celcius, in the heated garage!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:40 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
The heater, attached to plywood, on my blue extension cord.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
It's a bit camouflaged here, but the heater disconnects in the passenger footwell. I wish it was a three-pronged plug so I could attach a remote switch.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:48 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Now a two plug car. They're not sure what to make of it when you drive to Tennessee.

Too cold to wash.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
block heater status there .

Click and drive system looks nice .

Stay warm.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-09-2015, 01:42 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
block heater status there .
You know, I forgot to ask. Let me see if I can find out the model.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:50 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
They said, "It is not a block heater, it's an oil pan heater."

Old 01-09-2015, 05:41 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got the Cravenspeed Flexpod as well. I absolutely love it. Super easy to install. I would love the Click & Drive, but it is really pricey (not to mention installation) and I don't always need to charge, so that part is not as important to me as just a holder.

Here are some pics. I keep it horizontal, the phone NEVER shakes or twists and I have an S with 18" wheels on awful L.A. roadways! I routed the apple cord from the charge port up through the color line panels up to the phone for when I need to charge. I use an iPhone6 in the holder. The iPhone5 shown in the pics is usually clicked into the armrest adapter (which I also love).

Attached Thumbnails Phone mount suggestions please-craven1.jpg   Phone mount suggestions please-craven2.jpg   Phone mount suggestions please-craven3.jpg   Phone mount suggestions please-craven4.jpg   Phone mount suggestions please-craven5.jpg  

Old 01-09-2015, 06:53 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIwuff
I routed the apple cord from the charge port up through the color line panels
It looks great. Can you explain how you did that? Which length of cable did you use?

I'm not using the Click & Drive's charger with my iPod because I need to plug the iPod into the USB port to play music. I may use it for either of my GPSs.

The click & drive has a USB cable on it that plugs into and is zip-tied to a dongle that connects to one of the fuse panels. So you could cut the zip-ties and plug that USB cable into the USB port instead.

You can see the in-line dongle with the USB slot in this picture. [With the long cable, if you look closely you can see the USB pictograph on the USB plug zip-tied to the visible side of the dongle that's zip-tied to a bracket, which gets zip-tied somewhere under the dash.]

Last edited by hammerhands; 01-09-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
I've been using the camera on the iPod Touch to see when the traffic lights change.

What I need is a very clever way to switch between apps.

Hmmm...in Settings there is some mention of buttons and switches under Accessibility. I think I see a few of these. I must learn more.

Last edited by hammerhands; 01-10-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Phone mount suggestions please