F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 Reliability Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

Call from MINI today... they do not feel that a buyback is warranted, but have offered three months' payments as compensation for my inconvenience.

I've countered with a request to double the factory warranty, or significantly increased compensation to deal with future expensive repairs (the past is generally a predictor of the future) as well as diminished value should I try to sell the car.

They are taking this request under consideration...

Old 09-08-2015, 10:05 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine at 6k had to have a new transmission was in the shop for like 52 days. Also it was the worst I've even been treated by a dealer in my life I'll never step back into that dealer if they give cars away. Not even a week back the wiring harness burnt up was in the shop for a week for that which I was told that would be a overnight fix. Hahaha then about a month later the headlights malfunctioned and was in for a week for that. That all was a couple months ago now seems to be good. *knock on wood. I'm getting pissed off all over again just thinking about it. Hahaha

Old 09-08-2015, 12:09 PM
MCS Pepper White
1st Gear
Hey, I am looking at buying my first mini and I noticed that you have owned several minis. Are they as problematic as everyone (to include mini lovers) says they are? It will be my toy, a weekend getaway car. I have had great reliability with the rice-burners over the years, am I setting myself up for a big mechanical disappointment buying a mini?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:19 PM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Pepper White
Hey, I am looking at buying my first mini and I noticed that you have owned several minis. Are they as problematic as everyone (to include mini lovers) says they are? It will be my toy, a weekend getaway car. I have had great reliability with the rice-burners over the years, am I setting myself up for a big mechanical disappointment buying a mini?
As always, experiences are unique. I love this car when it works, but if the past 15 months are an indication of the next 15 months, then I would go with something different if I had it to do over again.

As I've said before, the last three new cars (one Nissan, two Dodge) have been driven to 125k miles (including racing) with almost zero issues. From a fun aspect, this is the best. From a reliability aspect, the worst.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
MCS Pepper White
1st Gear

Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 PM
MCS Pepper White
1st Gear
Thanks for your imput and good luck with the next 15 months. I think I will do the MCS in-lieu of the JCW but I will do an extended warranty.

Thanks again for you imput.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:24 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lsmith42
As always, experiences are unique. I love this car when it works, but if the past 15 months are an indication of the next 15 months, then I would go with something different if I had it to do over again.

As I've said before, the last three new cars (one Nissan, two Dodge) have been driven to 125k miles (including racing) with almost zero issues. From a fun aspect, this is the best. From a reliability aspect, the worst.
Based on what you've posted on this public forum for all to see, I'd think MINI/BMW would be rushing to set things right.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Overall, I love this car (enough to be considering my next one). That being said a couple of things popped up, they are as follows:

1. Upon driving the car (2015 MCS) I noticed that when taking off from a stop in Mid mode, the car would tend to lag or buck a bit, not huge, but enough that it got my attention.

Behaves less so in Sport mode, but still present. To describe, it's almost like the car is responding to a manual clutch release as it would if my car was a manual (it is not). Just a slight lurch like you would feel if releasing a clutch from a stop.

Quirky, and the only car I've ever driven (automatic) that displays this behavior. Perhaps the designers were trying to capture the effect of a peppy manual transmission take off (which they did on spades), but personally I wish they hadn't. I'm sure if I mentioned this to my dealer, they would say its operating as designed.

2. Evaporator leak (water in the passenger side foot well). Improperly installed drain line at the factory (after the evaporators in original design were found to cause moldy smells). Mine had the new evaporator installed, but apparently "Nigel" failed to connect the drain line properly . The moldy smell in the 2014/2015 F56 arewell documented in threads on forum. Dealer fixed my issue at no charge. but........................

I now have a whiff of vinegar smell on each morning start up from vents when AC is turned on. Going to dealer today to have this issue addressed along with the JCW Interior missing item (see 3).

3. Ordered the JCW interior and didn't get the red stitching on the shift boot or **** on my automatic.

Other than the above, the car is a "hoot" to drive. I enjoy it as much as my 2015 Corvette for motoring around town. Finding more enjoyment driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:39 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Overall, I love this car (enough to be considering my next one). That being said a couple of things popped up, they are as follows:

1. Upon driving the car (2015 MCS) I noticed that when taking off from a stop in Mid mode, the car would tend to lag or buck a bit, not huge, but enough that it got my attention.

Behaves less so in Sport mode, but still present. To describe, it's almost like the car is responding to a manual clutch release as it would if my car was a manual (it is not). Just a slight lurch like you would feel if releasing a clutch from a stop.
My '14 MCS is much nicer to drive when I move the shift lever to the left. A small lag in the Mid mode disappears (improved engine response) and, of course, the revised shift points are are a major improvement.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Last update: MINI set down the "final offer" language. I'm really not impressed with their handling of the situation or with their consistency as they have extended warranties for friends with 2014 MINIs with fewer issues.

Time to sell this thing as soon as possible and count it as a lesson learned. These are often not good cars, and the company is not willing to stand behind them.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:44 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by lsmith42
Last update: MINI set down the "final offer" language. I'm really not impressed with their handling of the situation or with their consistency as they have extended warranties for friends with 2014 MINIs with fewer issues.

Time to sell this thing as soon as possible and count it as a lesson learned. These are often not good cars, and the company is not willing to stand behind them.
smh. lemon law?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:23 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my front struts replaced as they were creaking, in and out same day, looks like I will be getting a new trans as the flywheel screams like a banshee when its hot and having intermittent issues going into first and third. Asside from that I love the car. Previous poster about the lurchy take off, disable the dtc and try a launch if you have not, I believe this will solve your launch issues.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:12 AM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
So, to follow up, Jennifer and Andrew (MINI of Stevens Creek Service Advisor and Service Manager, respectively) totally rock... they took up my case with MINI, and brought everything to an awesomely better conclusion! I now don't have to worry about expensive surprises for another 68,000 miles!

Not sure why MINI couldn't get there on their own, but I'm happy with the conclusion... we'll see what happens...

Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jamesdean
I had my front struts replaced as they were creaking, in and out same day, looks like I will be getting a new trans as the flywheel screams like a banshee when its hot and having intermittent issues going into first and third. Asside from that I love the car. Previous poster about the lurchy take off, disable the dtc and try a launch if you have not, I believe this will solve your launch issues.
jamesdean, is the attached video the same noise that your car was making? my mcs with 600 miles started making this noise. it has not done it at the dealer of course.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1573.MOV (2.38 MB, 114 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 01:30 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
sooo, just got the call from mini, they are putting a new 6sp in my car. 600 miles on it

Old 09-18-2015, 03:08 PM
MCS Pepper White
1st Gear
New 6sp..

Originally Posted by atlantaorange
sooo, just got the call from mini, they are putting a new 6sp in my car. 600 miles on it
As in a new transmission? Wow!!!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:11 PM
MCS Pepper White
1st Gear
What dealership did you get your Mini?

Originally Posted by atlantaorange
I moving to Ga, the Augusta area and I'm going to get a Mini there. I was there last month and stopped in and checked out Global Imports. Have you ever worked with those guys?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had 2 cels one on labor day and one today, when clearing the first mini said nothing was stored. Hope there is a code stored this time.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:48 PM
MasterYoda
2nd Gear
I moving to Ga, the Augusta area and I'm going to get a Mini there. I was there last month and stopped in and checked out Global Imports. Have you ever worked with those guys?
I'm not a fan of Global Imports. It's always a ridiculous wait to get a service appointment. The Mall of Georgia MINI opened recently and I've had a much better experience with them.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
i have not heard anything good about global. i am working with mini of kennesaw. they have been very responsive and great to work with.

global does not have a good rep in the bmw community either.

call Alan Freeman at kennesaw, he will take care of you.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:14 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by torpeau
My '14 MCS is much nicer to drive when I move the shift lever to the left. A small lag in the Mid mode disappears (improved engine response) and, of course, the revised shift points are are a major improvement.
Yes, you are correct and thank you for mentioning this. Big improvement and a much more enjoyable drive using your recommendation.

Find myself setting the shift level to this position whether in Mid or Sport mode. Result is a smoother roll away from a stop and better performance overall. Won't ever go back to the straight "Drive" mode anymore.

Great advice,

Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 AM
NCLE
1st Gear
I have had my 2014 Cooper S 6 SP Manual for one year now with 20,000 miles and unfortunately have had the following problems:

Popping out of 1st gear - 1 week in shop (had to order parts)

Check engine light due to failed O2 sensor - 4 days in shop (had to order parts) Also performed recall work: rear seat side impact problem, oil filter housing replacement, software upgrade, and sticker removal.

Rear hatch leak - 4 days in shop (had to order parts)

Clutch pedal squeak - had to take in twice before problem was found - found to be a defective clutch pivot - 1 week later still waiting on parts .

Not as bad as some people problems but I have previously owned 3 Mini's and never had any corrective maintenance performed (except for recalls)during the warranty period. I guess only time will tell if my new Mini is as good as my previous Mini's.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 AM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NCLE
I have had my 2014 Cooper S 6 SP Manual for one year now with 20,000 miles and unfortunately have had the following problems: Popping out of 1st gear - 1 week in shop (had to order parts) Check engine light due to failed O2 sensor - 4 days in shop (had to order parts) Also performed recall work: rear seat side impact problem, oil filter housing replacement, software upgrade, and sticker removal. Rear hatch leak - 4 days in shop (had to order parts) Clutch pedal squeak - had to take in twice before problem was found - found to be a defective clutch pivot - 1 week later still waiting on parts . Not as bad as some people problems but I have previously owned 3 Mini's and never had any corrective maintenance performed (except for recalls)during the warranty period. I guess only time will tell if my new Mini is as good as my previous Mini's.
I had a squeak that I thought was coming from my clutch pedal too, and it ended up being my seat instead.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 AM
tripleTurbo
2nd Gear
2015 Cooper. 32,000 miles and no problems. Runs and looks great. Will need tires soon! But that's not the car's fault. Lol.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:50 AM
rickwallace45
Neutral
2014 MCS manual trans --> 8800 miles no issues

2014 Pepper White MCS 6sp bought new from Otto's Mini, Exton, PA, April 2015 (that's right, 2015 - it was sitting on the showroom floor, never sold, with 21 miles on it...). Traded my '07 MCS 6sp (99,980 miles) for it. (yes, concern over impending maint/ repair issues (clutch, timing chain expected soon) was a driver in that trade, as well as the expected much better reliability of the 2L F56 engine.

No issues at all with the '14. (which is LOTS less than the last year with the R56!)
Had it into Otto's last month for its first service - all went well, and they did both the side impact and oil filter housing mods as part of the covered maintenance service visit.

They DID report a 2/32" difference (already!) between front and rear tire wear tho, so I'll be rotating the tires -- thanks for the tips in other topics about how to do this with a single jack!

I LOVE this little pocket rocket - more fun IMO than the R56, more reliable fer sher! -- and subjectively more nimble / agile than a Boxster I test drove recently!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 F56 Reliability Thread